feeling guilty for plans to take back an acceptance if a better school comes along?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mlw03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
first off, please don't flame me and say this is a good problem to have - i know it is, but i want to see if my feelings are shared by others, and if so, how they're responding to it.

i'm interesting in anyone who may be feeling guilty after having a good interview and getting in, but know that if a better school comes along you'll withdraw your application and acceptance of the school's offer. it's not a matter of burning a bridge - if done professionally i know it's acceptable to rescind one's acceptance - it's just a matter of feeling lousy, like you used the school entirely as a backup.

anyone have this compounded by receiving a phone call or email from one of your interviewers?

if people went through this/are going through this now, please share your thoughts on the subject.

Members don't see this ad.

I think most schools realize this is going to happen often. For instance, I just interviewed at a school who accepts 340 students for it's class of 205 for that exact reason. I don't think anyone should feel guilty.:)

The only thing that's considered bad, is holding on to a bunch of acceptances, i.e. generally 4 or more at any given time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why should you feel bad about this? I bet they don't lose any sleep when they pick more qualified applicants over you. They don't worry about putting you on waitlists and letting you sweat getting in. They don't worry about taking their sweet time telling you where you stand. They don't even feel slighlty guilty cashing your check full well knowing they aren't even going to consider your application. This is part of being an appicant, we have that priviledge. Med schools are aware of this as well and they expect it. I agree with Shantanu that you shouldn't hold on to acceptances needlessly- be fair to your fellow applicants.

i felt guilty turning down my acceptance to georgetown last year, because i felt like they went out of their way to let me in. plus i really liked it there and genuinely wanted to go (just not as much as i wanted to stay in california).

Are you kidding me? Why would you feel guilty about that? It's a damn institution. It's not person. Talk about being anthropomorphic. I hope I didn't hurt Temple's feelings! I hope that Finch is crying or in a state of depression over my rejection of them. Geez, this thread is sad. Yesterday, I returned a shirt to Macy's. Should I send an apology letter and hope that things work out for us. I'm thinking about not graduating because my College might miss me.

Originally posted by LP1CW
Are you kidding me? Why would you feel guilty about that? It's a damn institution. It's not person. Talk about being anthropomorphic. I hope I didn't hurt Temple's feelings! I hope that Finch is crying or in a state of depression over my rejection of them. Geez, this thread is sad. Yesterday, I returned a shirt to Macy's. Should I send an apology letter and hope that things work out for us. I'm thinking about not graduating because my College might miss me.

:laugh:

i dont understand why u feel bad
there are plenty of people out there on wait lists and such to take your place
of course, if u decide not to show up to first day of class, and for some reason, they cant find someone to take your place
then maybe just maybe i would feel guilty
after all, it then goes into monetary loss for the school

but as everyone said
these things are expected, if not an important part of the process!! cuz how else would students get off the wait list

and not to sound mean
and dont take this personally
but unless u are albert einstein
i dont think med schools will care if u decide that in the end there is a better school for u
they dont want someone who doesnt want to go to their school, to come either

I turned down an interview on the phone today and felt hella bad, so I can imagine that turning acceptances down make you feel even crappier.

I got into one of my state schools last week, so I decided to cancel a few of my other interviews through email. The only office I actually called was Jefferson, and the awfully nice guy sounded so sad when I told him I wasn't going to be coming. I almost relapsed and told him to forget it, I was going to come anyway! Ah well, such is life I guess. May a fellow SDN'er pick up the interview.

Flash