Feeling Dumb?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JekyllandHyde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, today I had one of those "I feel so incredibly dumb, I dont know if I'll ever know all of this" days on a 4th year ENT away. I just see how much the attendings and residents know and wonder how I'll ever be able to learn as much as they did. I was just curious if the residents and attendings out there remembered feeling that way? Or if they were just always super confident in their knowledge base? The reason I ask is because even the Jr residents have such an impressive level of knowledge, and I rarely see them flustered by anything. Just curious to see what the more experienced folks in the field had to say.

Members don't see this ad.

So, today I had one of those "I feel so incredibly dumb, I dont know if I'll ever know all of this" days on a 4th year ENT away. I just see how much the attendings and residents know and wonder how I'll ever be able to learn as much as they did. I was just curious if the residents and attendings out there remembered feeling that way? Or if they were just always super confident in their knowledge base? The reason I ask is because even the Jr residents have such an impressive level of knowledge, and I rarely see them flustered by anything. Just curious to see what the more experienced folks in the field had to say.

What's funny is the attendings look at the chiefs and wonder whether they were ever that stupid. The chiefs look at the Jr's and wonder if they were ever that dumb. The Jrs look at the med students and wonder if they were ever that clueless.

It works both ways. It's more important to be aware that you don't know enough than to feel you have a handle on everything--even as an attending. As soon as you think you own it, it will screw you. It being medicine/surgery/pathophysiology/the pt sitting in front of you.

What's funny is the attendings look at the chiefs and wonder whether they were ever that stupid. The chiefs look at the Jr's and wonder if they were ever that dumb. The Jrs look at the med students and wonder if they were ever that clueless.

It works both ways. It's more important to be aware that you don't know enough than to feel you have a handle on everything--even as an attending. As soon as you think you own it, it will screw you. It being medicine/surgery/pathophysiology/the pt sitting in front of you.

Couldn't have said this any better. My thoughts exactly. If you aren't questioning your knowledge or skill set then you're missing something

Members don't see this ad :)
Hah, if you feel dumb now, wait for your first week of internship!

And yes, you'll never know everything. Just concentrate on learning as much as you can and do your best to do the right thing for the patient.

This is true to a certain extent; however, the med students I currently interact with are truly the worst I've ever encountered. Dumb as a stump and terrible work ethic. I tell myself every month that this was just a bad crop of students and they will be better next month, but I have been saying this for 2 years now. I am shocked they are awarded a medical degree. Their entire school should probably lose accreditation.

This is true to a certain extent; however, the med students I currently interact with are truly the worst I've ever encountered. Dumb as a stump and terrible work ethic. I tell myself every month that this was just a bad crop of students and they will be better next month, but I have been saying this for 2 years now. I am shocked they are awarded a medical degree. Their entire school should probably lose accreditation.

Are these students interested in ENT or just moving through on a required rotation?

Are these students interested in ENT or just moving through on a required rotation?

They are on their surgery rotation. It mostly consists of hanging out in the surgeon's lounge and physician's dining room.

Actually, now that you mention it... I was totally surprised meeting some of the third years on Gen Surg at the away institution. They were saying how they didnt think surgery was that hard a lifestyle meanwhile they scrubbed one case per day and spent most of the day in the cafe.

So I guess moral of the story is, you might be dumb, but dont be dumb and lazy :)

So I guess moral of the story is, you might be dumb, but dont be dumb and lazy :)

I would tell my Jr residents when they started ENT after finishing their PGY-1 year the following:

"I don't care how smart or how stupid you are. I only care whether or not you care about the patient. You could be the most brilliant mind to ever grace otolaryngology with your presence, but if you don't care about the patient something terrible will happen. However, you could be the dumbest resident we've ever had, but if you care about what your doing, your biggest mistake will not be a tragic one. Someone who is an idiot but humble is usually teachable. The genius who doesn't care is not."

The difference between being lazy and not is caring.

I also had an attending tell me this about caring and being lazy and I hold to it to this day, "If it feels like it's the hardest thing to do in the world at the time, it's probably the right thing to do." He was speaking specifically about getting that call about a pt at 2 am and trying to figure out whether you should field the call or actually go in and lay eyes and hands on them.

The difference between being lazy and not is caring.

Hmm. Indeed.

This is certainly sage advice, and ever more apropos given the limitations on hours and the growing shift work mentality.

I have to invoke some Yoda here: "Do or do not. There is no try."

"I don't care how smart or how stupid you are. I only care whether or not you care about the patient. You could be the most brilliant mind to ever grace otolaryngology with your presence, but if you don't care about the patient something terrible will happen. However, you could be the dumbest resident we've ever had, but if you care about what your doing, your biggest mistake will not be a tragic one. Someone who is an idiot but humble is usually teachable. The genius who doesn't care is not."

Very good advice.

Maybe I will try to use this on the medical students in the lounge when they are in between scones. I'll have to figure out a way to get down there before they leave at 10:30am.

Very good advice.

Maybe I will try to use this on the medical students in the lounge when they are in between scones. I'll have to figure out a way to get down there before they leave at 10:30am.

Whew!

I thought that was just our students...glad to learn otherwise...sitting next to the "I don't have to take call" interns.

Whew!

I thought that was just our students...glad to learn otherwise...sitting next to the "I don't have to take call" interns.

Interns are often not allowed to take call!! I think this is a terrible trend resulting from the work hour restrictions. Interns and program directors alike are unhappy about it. As interns become superfluous, med students become completely useless.

I feel your pain, and I've felt like this too at times during my ENT rotations. But trust me, everyone feels the same way, so you're not alone. The only thing you can do is to continue to read. Have you read the Primary Care Otolaryngology booklet from ENT.org?