Feeling bummed on matching bottom tier TRI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TriBi1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Congrats on all those who matched, and my deepest apologies to those who didn't. I know how dreadful not matching can be and maybe it's a bit insensitive for me to post this.

I went for PM&R this year as a DO with COMLEX only, no red flags. I interviewed at some middle to high tier programs. I didn't match and had to scramble today. There was nothing worse than thinking I could not be a doctor and how I could deal with the financial debt. I decided it was best to go for a TRI and try again next year.

Honestly, I applied to 40 places and felt I interviewed really well. I ranked 9 programs. Where I felt I fell short was not maintaining contact with all my favorite programs. The lack of communication may have given the PD a sense that I was not interested in their program, or worse just completely forgotten. I sent hand written letters, but that wasn't enough.

So feeling really dreadful today, I plan on taking this energy and putting it into this year and facing adversity by pushing through. More reading, more research, more communication.

With PM&R, I suppose this can happen if you just miss the rank. Can we share stories of people matching the bottom of the barrel residencies and continuing forward to fruitful careers? I know I can do better than this and just worry that it'll be such a red flag that I will be considered less than this year.

tldr; DO with average board scores went for PM&R, didn't match, scrambled into very low tier TRI. Any success stories on turning this around?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where I felt I fell short was not maintaining contact with all my favorite programs. The lack of communication may have given the PD a sense that I was not interested in their program, or worse just completely forgotten. I sent hand written letters, but that wasn't enough.

is that really your "lesson learned" from this?...

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats on all those who matched, and my deepest apologies to those who didn't. I know how dreadful not matching can be and maybe it's a bit insensitive for me to post this.

I went for PM&R this year as a DO with COMLEX only 480/570, no red flags. I interviewed at some middle to high tier programs like Rush, LSU, Metrohealth, MSU. I didn't match and had to scramble today. There was nothing worse than thinking I could not be a doctor and how I could deal with the financial debt. I decided it was best to go for a TRI and try again next year.

Honestly, I applied to 40 places and felt I interviewed really well. I ranked 9 programs. Where I felt I fell short was not maintaining contact with all my favorite programs. The lack of communication may have given the PD a sense that I was not interested in their program, or worse just completely forgotten. I sent hand written letters, but that wasn't enough.

So feeling really dreadful today, I plan on taking this energy and putting it into this year and facing adversity by pushing through. More reading, more research, more communication.

With PM&R, I suppose this can happen if you just miss the rank. Can we share stories of people matching the bottom of the barrel residencies and continuing forward to fruitful careers? I know I can do better than this and just worry that it'll be such a red flag that I will be considered less than this year.

tldr; DO with average board scores went for PM&R, didn't match, scrambled into very low tier TRI. Any success stories on turning this **** around?
Work hard build your cv apply to DO pmr next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went through the same thing and matched ACGME PM&R the next year. PM me.

I went for PM&R this year as a DO with COMLEX only, no red flags. I interviewed at some middle to high tier programs. I didn't match and had to scramble today. There was nothing worse than thinking I could not be a doctor and how I could deal with the financial debt. I decided it was best to go for a TRI and try again next year.

tldr; DO with average board scores went for PM&R, didn't match, scrambled into very low tier TRI. Any success stories on turning this around?

Reactions: 1 user

uh, did you interview at 40 places and then only rank 9? or only interview at 9 places after applying to 40...and would that be all the pm&r programs out there? I presume this is for the ACGME match?

next year apply to the AOA match (presumably there is still one next year?) as well as the ACGME one...and apply to every stinking program out there, go to every interview offered and rank all your interviews. and this year look to see if there are any unexpected openings that come up that you can get into next year.

What is a TRI? Transitional year? If so then stop complaining you re in a residency... people would kill for even that.

Reactions: 1 users
Why even post something like this? The guy didn't match. I think he is well within his rights to come here and ask for some help.

Because he should realize that he is still very blessed and should feel happy and proud of what he got. Completing even one year of residency is a major accomplishment and will open doors for him when he reapplies or is able to get something outside of the match in the future.

It sounds like all 9 programs you interviewed at were mid-to-high tier programs. On the next go-around, you should include 2-3 safety programs as well so that you won't go unmatched again. For the very reputable programs, you're competing against AMGs as well, which definitely places you at a disadvantage come rank list preparation time for the residency programs.

PM&R overall is not that competitive so you should have a decent shot at matching. I would highly recommend a more strategic approach. Apply more broadly and make sure to hit lower tier programs. I made sure to cover myself and ended up at a lower tier program when I never thought I would. But, I did match into my chosen specialty. SO, I get to continue to play the game.

Reactions: 1 user
What is a TRI? Transitional year? If so then stop complaining you re in a residency... people would kill for even that.

My DO colleagues can correct me, but I believe TRI stands for "Traditional Rotating Internship" which is the DO equivalent of a prelim year. The difference is they are AOA and not ACGME accredited (for now), and most ACGME programs will not accept it as credit for internship for advanced PGY-2 spots so an applicant would have to repeat PGY-1/intern year. So it's not a very ideal situation, but at least it's paid work.