Feel inferior after receiving my ap bio score. Can I make it as a doctor?

Futurephys

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I took ap bio because I like bio and I felt it would prepare me well for college bio. I never planned to use the credit(if I got it) to test out of college bio because ap credit can be a mess with med school. Anyways, I went into the test not worried about it and not caring how I did. I received a 3, which isn't terrible, but looking on other college websites it seems like anyone who wants to do pre med got a 5, or atleast a 4. My worry is that if I can't do well on the ap bio test, I won't be able to do well in college bio. I originally thought the test was crap because it wasnt very knowledge based but instead more deriving Information. I'm scared because I hear that is very similar to what the MCAT is. Thank you and any opinions are welcomed.
*for what it's worth, I didn't study to hard but only used Barron's flashcards

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Chilllll man. Don't let a test in highschool determine what your capable of in upcoming years. Almost anyone under normal circumstances can become a doctor if they put the effort required into going on that path.

Also, it seems like you didn't even put effort into taking the test. Before you start college, practice the material online and see where it takes you from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
GG son, hope you speak Caribbejan.

Reactions: 8 users
So I took ap bio because I like bio and I felt it would prepare me well for college bio. I never planned to use the credit(if I got it) to test out of college bio because ap credit can be a mess with med school. Anyways, I went into the test not worried about it and not caring how I did. I received a 3, which isn't terrible, but looking on other college websites it seems like anyone who wants to do pre med got a 5, or atleast a 4. My worry is that if I can't do well on the ap bio test, I won't be able to do well in college bio. I originally thought the test was crap because it wasnt very knowledge based but instead more deriving Information. I'm scared because I hear that is very similar to what the MCAT is. Thank you and any opinions are welcomed.

Don't really worry about that. I also got a 3 on that exam, yet in college I was able to pull several 4.0 semesters with classes like organic chemistry and advanced physiology. And to top it off I got into several medical schools. Don't let some stupid AP test get you down. Besides, you will learn a lot by now and the time you take the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 users
I never took an AP science and college was no problem. Apples and oranges.

I was a pretty mediocre high score student, a good college student, and am an outstanding med student who did very well on Step 1. Learn from mistakes and find the best way that you study.

You will be ok.

Reactions: 1 user
Chill ma man. Be glad you got to take AP Bio at all. I sure haven't and can't. In fact, my science courses are weaker than my history and english classes. Basically, because of a screw up in chemistry during underclassman year, the science department effectively barred me from taking any type of upper level class in Bio or Chem. I was lucky enough to convince them to allow me to take honors physics next year. Just be glad you received exposure in AP Bio; I'd kill to take it. :)

I got a 1 on the AP bio test and went on to be a successful biology major.
IMO AP is a joke. Wait until college to take college courses, be a kid while you still can because it goes fast enough as it is.

I don't think the AP biology test was an accurate predictor of college biology performance. I got a 3 on my AP bio test in high school, but I've just graduated with a biology degree and a 4.06 sGPA. It's really not that big of a deal.

Your AP bio score probably has an R^2 of .00000000001 in terms of predicting whether or not you can become a doctor.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for all the responses. Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to be the person that says "I got a 95, my parents will kill me." I meant it more like, "if I can't do very well on This test, how am I going to do well in college"

You should feel superior!!! Your AP scores were released three days before mine. You must be really important!

Members don't see this ad :)

lol i got a 2. and I feel the same way, but worse. although I didnt really study for the test because I only wanted to take ap bio for the class and nothing else

Chilllll man. Don't let a test in highschool determine what your capable of in upcoming years. Almost anyone under normal circumstances can become a doctor if they put the effort required into going on that path.

Also, it seems like you didn't even put effort into taking the test. Before you start college, practice the material online and see where it takes you from there.
how do u practice the material online. do you mean take classes online before then take the classes again in person??

Thanks for all the responses. Just to clarify, I wasn't trying to be the person that says "I got a 95, my parents will kill me." I meant it more like, "if I can't do very well on This test, how am I going to do well in college"

I got a 2 on the AP chem exam when I took it and did just fine in undergrad. Don't stress about it.

what did u get in undergrad for chem??

Grades that were good enough to get me into vet school ;) . Not top of the class - I'll probably never be the strongest chem student - but not anything to be embarrassed about.

I really felt like my college courses weren't comparable to the AP courses I took.

No you can't be a doctor. As everyone knows, AP bio is the most important factor in being a doctor. I mean how can you possibly be a doctor if you don't know how photosynthesis works or how extinctions occur. These things are intimately related to being a doctor.

AP bio is more important that actual college courses taken in college, more important than the MCAT, more important than the things you learn in your pre-clinical education or during 3rd or 4th year and much more important than your residency.

Trust me. I'm a doctor.

Reactions: 4 users
No you can't be a doctor. As everyone knows, AP bio is the most important factor in being a doctor. I mean how can you possibly be a doctor if you don't know how photosynthesis works or how extinctions occur. These things are intimately related to being a doctor.

AP bio is more important that actual college courses taken in college, more important than the MCAT, more important than the things you learn in your pre-clinical education or during 3rd or 4th year and much more important than your residency.

Trust me. I'm a doctor.

Last edited:
im a little confused, all of the responses above say otherwise, if you read them one person received a score of 2 on their ap chem exam and excelled in college... isnt it a little extreme to say one score in highschool will forever bar someone from becoming a doctor...:(
He is lying. He's actually a waiter.

3rd-year medical student here. Waited tables for ten years. Don't hate :unsure:
Bartending right now my man! These golfers drink crazy early. Luckily my boss considers this an educational site and doesn't mind if I use it during my down time.

Trust me. I'm a doctor.

Crap. Ok thanks I'll look into hospitality management.

1) Your AP bio grade is predictive of pretty much nothing.
2) Plenty of people do fine in college after getting a 3 on an AP exam, myself included.
3) The MCAT is 3+ years away and medical school is 4+ years alway. Don't worry about them yet.
4) You didn't care (your own words) about the test going into it, it doesn't make sense to care coming out of it.
5) If you didn't really study, don't be shocked you didn't do really wonderfully.

You'll be fine. Go your summer!