Feedback on Wound Care Management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ibu89

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I'm currently working with a group of physicians in the Veterans Administration whose work is in the development of improved wound healing methods & devices.

We are looking for feedback to better understand wound healing care and management from a military perspective.

I'd appreciate any feedback along the following lines:
1) What frustrations / obstacles have you encountered during wound care / management?
2) Have you used any advanced therapies for wound care that were particularly effective? Ineffective?
3) What scenarios have you seen where wound care in a military context differs from a civilian context?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Biggest obstacle I face is the amount of regulations to even get access to wound care products. I'm at a smaller facility so we are literally limited to gauze, triple abx, santyl (somehow) and that's pretty much it. I have to have my colleague at a larger facility loan me stuff like iodasorb or even Meplex ag etc.

Getting the graft substitutes like epifix or grafix would take an act of god. I would have to actually book the patient for the OR and use that booking encounter to start the process for applying for the non-DOD source materials. Can't have an unauthorized commitment you know.

Same deal goes with trying to get wound-vacs. It has gotten so difficult that if I have a wound come in I either send them to the larger facility or straight to a wound care center. Kindof dissapointing as I have lost some of my wound-management skills.

In terms of compliance, the active duty population and retirees seem much more compliant than the guys I used to treat at the VA. Just my two cents.

Last edited: