Fee Assistance Program question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wingardium Leviosa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- I'm currently serving in a domestic volunteer program that covers my room and board and make way under the federal poverty line. However, while my parents are not well off, their income is probably slightly over the 300% level. Due to other expenses, they are really unable to support me financially, and I'm getting worried I'll have to take loans out to apply for medical school this summer. For those of you who have done FAP before, is there any way to distinguish myself from my parents in that regard, especially since I'm in a program that does not allow me to take on more jobs for money?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who have done FAP before, is there any way to distinguish myself from my parents in that regard, especially since I'm in a program that does not allow me to take on more jobs for money?
Unfortunately not, they're quite rigid about it:

The Fee Assistance Program, unlike some federally funded programs, does not draw distinctions based on your dependent or independent status for tax purposes, therefore, parental financial information and supporting tax documentation are required. Parental information is viewed independently from applicant data, but must also fall within eligibility guidelines. This requirement cannot be waived on the basis of your marital status, age, or tax filing status.

It sucks.

If you don't mind my asking, if you struggle to afford to start the process, how do you plan to attend interviews?

Ugh, thanks for your feedback. Based on looking through the AAMC website it looked pretty rigid but I just wanted to see if others have had similar experiences. :arghh:

I have some money saved for interviews, etc but I will also be hopefully transitioning from a service position to something with more of a salary by this August. I'm also hoping to stay in the same part of the country so likely won't need to fly to many if any interviews. And if I asked my parents to help some with fees they probably would some, but truly can't afford to and I'm trying to avoid putting them in that position.

Reactions: 1 user