Federal Opiate prescribing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donaldduck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I am wondering what the exact federal laws are when it comes to what needs to be documented every time a new refill for a Schedule 2 drug is prescribed. Is it the same for Schedule 3 drugs? I tried to look up the law but it was tough to understand. The language made it seem as though it assessments should be made every month.

Members don't see this ad.

The laws are different than what you should do. The main thing the DEA requires for documentation is that medications should only be prescribed for an appropriate medical purpose. You NEED to document that. You SHOULD be documenting a whole lot more. How often you evaluate the patient is up to you, but in general is thought of to be at least every 3 months. I contend, and many others to do to, that monthly visits are the most appropriate. A lot can change in a month and if the DEA doesn't allow refills on C2 meds (yes I know you can write 3 separate scripts), they likely don't really feel that you should be routinely giving more than a month at a time.

Reactions: 1 users
The laws are different than what you should do. The main thing the DEA requires for documentation is that medications should only be prescribed for an appropriate medical purpose. You NEED to document that. You SHOULD be documenting a whole lot more. How often you evaluate the patient is up to you, but in general is thought of to be at least every 3 months. I contend, and many others to do to, that monthly visits are the most appropriate. A lot can change in a month and if the DEA doesn't allow refills on C2 meds (yes I know you can write 3 separate scripts), they likely don't really feel that you should be routinely giving more than a month at a time.
The DEA wants to see the risk assessment in 1 vs 2 vs 3 months of Rx at a time. It is about justification for going longer than a month.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
you need to check with your own state medical board

surprising how lax the RECOMMENDATIONS are in CA

Reactions: 1 user
Oreoandsake-

I’m in CA

Would love to hear specifically what you have noticed regarding laxity in the new pain guidelines

I may know a way to get clarity in writing from the source - it’s a stretch but contemplating trying