Feasible plan? Moving after MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indices

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've made up my mind that I want to leave the United States for my parents' home country. The only thing holding me back is that I want to practice medicine. Going to medical school in the country I want to move to is just not an option, for reasons such as foreign admission rates and the education system. I'd like to get my MD here and THEN think about leaving. Right now I'm an undergraduate student.

I will have to take out loans for medical school here (I'm optimistic about getting in). Paying these loans off would take years. If I live frugally, in what scenarios can I pay loans (for say a mid-tier US medical school) off within 5 to 10 years?

But really, loans aside, my question is, is this feasible? Would anything stop me from leaving after I got an MD? Could loans, in any way, legally restrict me from leaving? Do you know of anyone who did this?

My parents' homeland just seems like the place I want to live my life. I love everything about the culture, and I think the country is headed in a good direction. I know the language, traditions, and politics thoroughly and have friends there. I did check and I can practice with an MD there.

ps. I didn't provide details because I would like to get some general perspectives. Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Its difficult to give you any realistic advice without knowing more details.

Are you implying that you can obtain your medical degree in the US and then get into residency training in your parent's homeland? That is not as easy as American assume it is.

Without knowing what country and the average physician's salary there its hard to say whether you could reasonably pay off your US loans off in a short period of time.

There is no legal reason you can't leave the US, but you are expected to pay them back regardless of where you live or your financial resources.

I think you should do medical school as well as residency in the US and then leave, because that way you can return to the US if you choose.

Reactions: 1 user