Feasibility of doing 1 year surgical retina fellowship and still practicing comp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texaspremed1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming you get good medical retina in residency, I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on this. I really like surgery but realize it will be hard to compete with cataracts and lasiks coming out of residency hence my question

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming you get good medical retina in residency, I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on this. I really like surgery but realize it will be hard to compete with cataracts and lasiks coming out of residency hence my question

finish school first, you won't look so foolish then

Why do surgical retina at all? What to you mean by saying you won’t be able to compete with cataracts and Lasik? Really confused by the question

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Basically, when I read such an uninformed post, I translate it as, "How do I make the most amount of money no matter what?"

Please have a genuine interest and passion for a field. Otherwise, you will be miserable when CMS decides to cut FA or cataract reimbursement yet again.

Basically, when I read such an uninformed post, I translate it as, "How do I make the most amount of money no matter what?"

Please have a genuine interest and passion for a field. Otherwise, you will be miserable when CMS decides to cut FA or cataract reimbursement yet again.

Its not money I am worried about. I just want some more surgical variety than cataracts and glaucoma shunts as a comp. I really like the clinic aspect of ophthalmology but the surgical aspect lacks variety.

Its not money I am worried about. I just want some more surgical variety than cataracts and glaucoma shunts as a comp. I really like the clinic aspect of ophthalmology but the surgical aspect lacks variety.

Most Ophthalmologists do clinic so they can go to the OR. Words of wisdom that were handed down to me. I don't have insight into your depth of knowledge/potential lack thereof regarding the field, but no variety and Ophthalmology are two words I wouldn't use in the same sentence.

You are posting in a different forum that you want to do IR or vascular surgery, so I assume your knowledge of our field is rather peripheral. If you actually choose to complete an ophthalmology residency, you will recognize that each subspecialty deals with a much broader range of things than you may think. Each procedure comes with dozens of variations and potential complications that require different management strategies, and I have yet to meet a colleague that is bored by their surgical cases.

You are posting in a different forum that you want to do IR or vascular surgery, so I assume your knowledge of our field is rather peripheral. If you actually choose to complete an ophthalmology residency, you will recognize that each subspecialty deals with a much broader range of things than you may think. Each procedure comes with dozens of variations and potential complications that require different management strategies, and I have yet to meet a colleague that is bored by their surgical cases.

Did a rotation couple months which was my only exposure to the field. I realize that’s not enough exposure but I only saw the surgeon do cataracts and migs surgeries. Hence my question seeing if one could possibly supplement with retina surgery too if they did a fellowship. Didn’t mean to offend. But ya after that experience I changed my mind to possibly pursue IR.

Comprehensive ophthalmologists perform a broad range of procedures, as do cornea, glaucoma, retina, and plastics sub specialties. This also includes in office procedures as well. It’s not cataracts all day long and despite what it seems, each cataract is unique and offers an opportunity to learn and grow as a surgeon. Also the math, science and art of lens choice is very interesting.

All that aside ophthalmologist deal exclusively with eye disease (obviously). If that is a turn off to you, and I understand why that is for some, then something like IR which allows you to work on multiple different organ systems may be for you. Understand that even in IR there are a limited number and type of procedures. That’s just the way medicine has gone. General surgeons no longer do it all for example.

I too had concerns as a student because I thought ophthalmology would get boring seeing eyes all day long and performing a handful of procedures only. After nearly a decade in practice I can tell you there is nothing farther from the truth.