FDA Chief (RadOnc) the ScapeGoat for Lack of Covid-19 testing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
He has no integrity as far as I am concerned. He had to have known what he was getting into. If not then he was naive. Fauci is an example of integrity. Yes Fauci told the "noble lie" that masks were not necessary early on but that was to ensure that front line health professionals could get appropriate supplies.
Hahn's only motivation is ego and hubris. He likely will get a position where he rakes in the $$ supported by rich benefactors but I am not impressed.
I have met him on several occasions and was favorably impressed but when he was needed most he failed.

Fauci’s lying about masks up front was an unmitigated disaster, as we are now seeing. Terrible, terrible idea

Members don't see this ad.

Fauci’s lying about masks up front was an unmitigated disaster, as we are now seeing. Terrible, terrible idea
Not sure I'd call it a lie. He was trying to save PPE for healthcare workers when there was clearly a shortage. When the facts change, i change my mind? When coronavirus was found to have aerosolized transmission, it doesn't mean WHO was "lying" before that evidence was discovered.

Even after the stance was updated, prominent people remain indifferent to/anti-mask, which is much worse imo

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure I'd call it a lie. He was trying to save PPE for healthcare workers when there was clearly a shortage. When the facts change, i change my mind? When coronavirus was found to have aerosolized transmission, it doesn't mean WHO was "lying" before that evidence was discovered.

Even after the stance was updated, prominent people remain indifferent to/anti-mask, which is much worse imo

He straight-up lied. Said masks were not necessary, because he was trying to save them for healthcare workers. He should have just come out and said that. Completely undermined any faith in his office.

Members don't see this ad :)
He straight-up lied. Said masks were not necessary, because he was trying to save them for healthcare workers. He should have just come out and said that. Completely undermined any faith in his office.
Disagree, esp compared to the messaging coming out of the executive branch which essentially politicized masks after it was clear they were an effective public health tool

The initial handling of this was badly bungled by all parties including Fauci. I think it was well known that this was airborne transmission and yet we were telling people to wipe surfaces etc... because we didn't have masks.

Reactions: 1 users
I've looked pretty hard to find quotes in-line with this statement and I've been unable. Not to say I don't believe, just wondering when something that matches with your claim occurred.

Thankfully, he's moved beyond "our field," and no one will care what a few radiation oncologists think.
They won't care what rad oncs think. The only mild sting will be what people think about rad oncs. Look forward to news copy post-mortems saying stuff like "Hahn was a radiation oncologist, and after all radiation oncology is America's least competitive medical specialty" next year.
I've looked pretty hard to find quotes in-line with this statement and I've been unable. Not to say I don't believe, just wondering when something that matches with your claim occurred.

• Haha
"When the Facts Change, I Change My Mind. What Do You Do, Sir?"

- John Maynard Keynes
At this point in my life it gets tiresome to keep changing my mind all the time. So I just refrain from making my mind up, or try to pick six sigma facts.

Reactions: 2 users
They won't care what rad oncs think. The only mild sting will be what people think about rad oncs. Look forward to news copy post-mortems saying stuff like "Hahn was a radiation oncologist, and after all radiation oncology is America's least competitive medical specialty" next year.

I'm saying there's a difference between lying and prioritizing.

I put a vote in the he'll do great camp. Steven Hahn will head off to higher level admin positions where they love political connections and experience. Rad onc is small potatoes for him now. It doesn't matter what us chumps think. He'll be cancer center director or some such. He's known for bringing in money through rapid academic expansions (e.g. Penn, MDACC), and Universities love that sort of thing.

Reactions: 5 users
1598117252823.png

Trump just called out Hahn

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
If only someone saw this coming

• Haha
God, I thought my job had too much politics in it.

Serious question. Why exactly is Steve Hahn widely respected within rad onc? What are his tangible accomplishments? Not running md Anderson into the ground?

It’s actually great for him that a narrative distancing himself from Trump is emerging. Puts him back in play for positions at universities.
Gonna walk that back. Hahn claiming plasma 35% improvement in survival, (with no control group) and as a former cancer doc, he is impressed with 35%!

Last edited:
Hahn getting roasted on Twitter currently for not understanding the difference between absolute and relative risk reductions. What an embarrassment.

Hahn getting roasted on Twitter currently for not understanding the difference between absolute and relative risk reductions. What an embarrassment.

Maybe there was a business reason he was put in charge. Let’s approve everything! Actual ARR per some of the twitter threads is not 35% but 3% (12% to 9% mortality) for those wondering. Figures in manuscript look like garbage/no effort was made to put them together (like a seer dataset poster), FYI.

Last edited:

Ha,

This reminds me of my surgery professor, who told me this joke many many years ago in the 1990s...

Surg Professor: "Be careful when a Surg Article in a Journal says they have increased survival of pancreatic 100%."
I said how?
The surg professor said: "Well, if survival was historically 3% after Whipple, and you invented a new surg technique and survival is now 6%, you have improved the survival by 100%."

We just laughed...
Ha, some of these surg professors had a good sense of humor...

I do not have any kind words to say about Steve Hahn after that absolute mess of a press conference.

I decided to glance at the paper, essentially published on Twitter. The 35% rrr is comparing getting plasma less than 4d vs more than 4d from diagnosis. A more economical headline (important for a southerner) would have been, "Wolf!!!"

Maybe, Steve is thinking “if I give trump this bone,” as a concession, I won’t have to give Eua approval to a vaccine before election before phase 3 trial results are available?

I apologize for previously defending him as someone who's acting this way to prevent the president from hiring Dr. Phil. Hahn should change his name to Fred Garvin given his career move.

• Haha
Not to play devils advocate, but this approval has far more political significance than medical significance... and Hahn probably would be canned if he didn’t do this. Right now, I would rather have a self-interested scientist leading the FDA than Dr. Alien DNA. In reality, if Hahn fell on his sword, he would walk away with honor, but the country would likely be worse off. In this regards, maybe capitulating to Trump is braver as he most certainly knows he is losing the respect of his peers.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Not to play devils advocate, but this approval has far more political significance than medical significance... and Hahn probably would be canned if he didn’t do this. Right now, I would rather have a self-interested scientist leading the FDA than Dr. Alien DNA. In reality, if Hahn fell on his sword, he would walk away with honor, but the country would likely be worse off. In this regards, maybe capitulating to Trump is braver as he most certainly knows he is losing the respect of his peers.
What I don’t get is why Trump and Azar said the medical number correctly (essentially, 35% improvement in survival which is a true rrr) but Hahn went further than that to explicitly state if you gave the convalescent plasma to 100 sick people, 35 would be saved. He didn’t need to say that (he could have just repeated the rrr statement) and by doing so he crossed a line by (deliberately?) spreading misinformation. Trump and Azar didn’t even go that far!

12:55 of video

Last edited:
Just as an aside... an unfair aside?... pre peak rad onc’ers biostats sussing ability seems shaky. Here we have Hahn. And if you look back at Weischelbaum recent editorials about chest RT for COVID, he said 1 Gy to the chest would kill an excess 7 out of 100 people with heart disease and cause 4 out of 100 people to get a lung cancer. That’s pretty egregious too. I don’t think he was “spreading misinformation”... he appears to have just poorly misunderstood math. Second aside: number needed to treat (or harm) calculation needs to be taught and tested first week of rad onc residency.

I think a lot people are bending over backwards here to defend Steve Hahn. “His replacement would be even worse!l is not really a defense. Following orders is not an excuse. Steve Hahn is doing whatever a trump puppet would do, so how exactly would the replacement be worse anyway? Maybe Jared Kushner is behaving this way because his replacement would be worse. Maybe no one should have argued against kavanaugh being appointed to the sc because there are worse judges out there.

My comment about what he has done was facetious. He has “led” UPenn and MD Anderson but does that make him so great that so many people are doing mental gymnastics to defend him now?

I think a lot people are bending over backwards here to defend Steve Hahn. “His replacement would be even worse!l is not really a defense. Following orders is not an excuse. Steve Hahn is doing whatever a trump puppet would do, so how exactly would the replacement be worse anyway? Maybe Jared Kushner is behaving this way because his replacement would be worse. Maybe no one should have argued against kavanaugh being appointed to the sc because there are worse judges out there.

My comment about what he has done was facetious. He has “led” UPenn and MD Anderson but does that make him so great that so many people are doing mental gymnastics to defend him now?
Fair point. Doubt anyone has had less relevant experience or background to lead fda. Odds are replacement would have some background in gov or regulatory matters

Two crazy things. One Steve used to be a yearly speaker for the Flims conference, there is 100% no way he doesn’t understand the difference in relative risk reduction And absolute. No clue why he would do that. Next crazy thing is his retweeting that China Virus tweet.

Pretty crazy, no idea what’s up but he looks terrible, can’t recover from these things, is he being blackmailed? What’s he going to do with vaccine trials now.

Last edited:

Technically speaking, the "his replacement would be worse" is a perfectly valid utilitarian defense. I'm just no longer sure it's true.

Two crazy things. One Steve used to be a yearly speaker for the Flims conference, there is 100% no way he doesn’t understand the difference in relative risk reduction And absolute. No clue why he would do that. Next crazy thing is his retweeting that China Virus tweet.

Pretty crazy, no idea what’s up but he looks terrible, can’t recover from these things, is he being blackmailed? What’s he going to do with vaccine trials now.

This

1598291222469.png

reference:

Get ready folks. You'll all be asked to take it by your overlords come the fall. It was good knowing you all even behind an anonymous forum.

1598291283748.png

• Haha
This

View attachment 316796
reference:

Get ready folks. You'll all be asked to take it by your overlords come the fall. It was good knowing you all even behind an anonymous forum.

View attachment 316797

That's cool. I'll be refusing it if it comes to that. If I am required to establish immunity, I would much rather intentionally get infected with the coronavirus (or Cuomo's totally-fine-to-call-it-"European Virus"), with apparently a 1 in 10,000 (and reasonably likely as low as 1 in 100,000) chance of killing me than receive this "vaccine" in such an insane climate muddled by an intersection of science and politics.

I just saw a head and neck patient who was mandated to wear a face covering. She had a trach. I've about had it with the hysteria around this. Looking for an exit to somehow leave this rapidly devolving country and flee to some Carribean island where I can be left alone for the rest of my days...

Once again, because nobody can think anymore and dogma/ideology is more important than reason, I will needlessly clarify that all of the above represents my opinion.

• Haha
I just saw a head and neck patient who was mandated to wear a face covering. She had a trach.
please don't get banned again!!!

This

View attachment 316796
reference:

View attachment 316797
it’s not like the moderna vaccine is a new technology never before deployed in humans...

Ha,

This reminds me of my surgery professor, who told me this joke many many years ago in the 1990s...

Surg Professor: "Be careful when a Surg Article in a Journal says they have increased survival of pancreatic 100%."
I said how?
The surg professor said: "Well, if survival was historically 3% after Whipple, and you invented a new surg technique and survival is now 6%, you have improved the survival by 100%."

We just laughed...
Ha, some of these surg professors had a good sense of humor...

In the car, I listened to NPR News today and this "35%" issue came up.
Mary Lousie Kelly asked someone who said the 35% is misleading, because mortality (convalescent plasma data for Covid19) is 9% vs 12%.
Of course a middle-school kid will tell you that 12/9 = 1.3333333333.

I think Hahn already caught the "DT virus", Hahn basically played along the dangerous game.
It is one thing to be wrong in the lab/clinic, but millions people are listening to this.
It is deadly stuff.
RW was correct when he said Hahn can never walk away from that stain (a different stain than this stain).
This guy Hahn is a joke, a national disgrace for this field.

PS: I am waiting for the day when another study saying mortality is 9% vs 18% (in favor of the new treatment) and Hahn to come out and says "if we treat 100 patients, we will cure 100 patients because it is a 100% improvement"....LOL...what a disgrace...

PS: I am waiting for the day when another study saying mortality is 9% vs 18% (in favor of the new treatment) and Hahn to come out and says "if we treat 100 patients, we will cure 100 patients because it is a 100% improvement"
Let's hope it's not 9% vs 19%...
"if we treat 100 patients, we will cure 111 patients because it is a 111% improvement"
Then, Trump will literally be God!

My initial thoughts were that he was probably flustered and anxious and simply misspoke. Then I actually watched the video and saw that it seemed rehearsed and well thought out. I am utterly perplexed at how he could give such an explicit scenario that is so wrong, and preface it with a comment that he is an oncologist who understands survival benefit.

• Haha
Inexcusable mistake, Much like a correction/retraction. It will never get the attention of the first statement. ARR does not equal RRR. Every medical student should know this. Bringing shame to "experts" everywhere.

Actually, I think he caught the "DT virus", he wanted to look good and 35% absolute increase is better than 35% relative risk.
He just wanted to look good.
Too late, damage is done.
It has gone to the point that NPR morning news had to talk about this!!!

An organization like ASTRO, if they have any spine, should issue a statement denouncing this falsehood.
You are talking about hundreds of thousands of people dead, as of today ~ 178K dead, or about 3x US deaths during Vietnam war...

As I mentioned above, making a mistake in the lab/clinic is one thing, making a colossal mistake like this in front of TV, watched by millions of people is inexcusable. Inexcusable!

ASTRO should disown Hahn...