FDA approves 'SKOUT' - a new AI device to detect colon polyps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coroner

Peace Sells...but who's buying?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://www.cancertherapyadvisor.com/home/cancer-topics/gastrointestinal-cancers/fda-clears-skout-to-detect-colorectal-polyps-in-real-time-during-colonoscopy/

Interesting article that leads to more questions: Does FDA approval mean gastroenterologists can bill more for using the device vs standard colonoscopy? If so, will insurance companies reimburse for it?

And on the path end, does this mean receiving more or less colon biopsies if this becomes widely adopted? I could see it going either way i.e. more biopsies if clinicians were missing too many minute polyps. On the other hand, it could result in less biopsies if clinicians were over-biopsying non-polypoid lesions e.g. mucosal folds, lymphoid nodules, etc. I guess it depends on the operator and how accurate their rate biopsying true polyps was to begin with.

Of note, in case anyone was thinking of the previous colonoscopy tech that was supposed to offer patients a real-time "virtual diagnosis", this seems to be different. The SKOUT is supposed to aid in detection/screening for the presence of colon polyps, not act as a replacement for a histopathologic diagnosis as was mentioned the article linked below from a few years ago (and this technology seemingly has gone nowhere).

High Def Scope to assess polyps (Disruptive technology)

Members don't see this ad.

Unless there's a CPT code for computer-aided diagnostic colonoscopy - the gastroenterologist can't bill more for the procedure. I don't know how this will be implemented in real practice unless there are efficiency gains, or they lobby to get a CPT code that provides Medicare reimbursement. It's a screening tool - it'll highlight suspicious areas seen by the camera during the procedure, but based on this article it didn't increase procedure time. Whether it decreased procedure time, caused more or less biopsies isn't clear from the FDA study.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see this technology causing less biopsies. Cellvizio seems like a much more impressive technology that could lead to that. We have pulmonologists that use it and bill for it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The GI’s I work with literally find TAs that are like 2 crypts wide. I am amazed at how tiny some of them are and how good their eyes are. I don’t see how much you can really improve what normal endoscopy picks up.

Reactions: 1 users
The GI’s I work with literally find TAs that are like 2 crypts wide. I am amazed at how tiny some of them are and how good their eyes are. I don’t see how much you can really improve what normal endoscopy picks up.

Miraculously getting rid of bowel prep would be awesome…