FDA APPE Rotation 2019-2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I made a FB page for those who got an APPE rotation at FDA next academic year (2019-2020).

(https://www.facebook.com/groups/681811828882899/)

And wondering if anyone has any advice for housing, transportation, and etc. for Silver Springs, MD?

Also my rotation is late Sept-early Nov!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Congrats on being selected for a rotation! First, make sure you call it Silver Spring and not Springs if you do not want to be scorned by the locals.

AirBnB or similar is a good place to look for temp housing. Also ask your preceptor if they know anyone renting to students, it's a commom side hustle among FDAers. Downtown Silver Spring is a convenient location - very walkable to lots of restaurants, short Metro ride to DC, and it is easy to take the free shuttle from the Silver Spring metro station to the FDA White Oak campus (assuming you are at White Oak - there is another shuttle between Hillandale and White Oak if you are at Hillandale). Your commute is pretty short as well (15-20 min).

A few other metro stations in the area have free shuttles to the FDA. I believe this information is on the FDA pharmacy student experiential program website.

If you venture too far from Metro you'll probably want to have access to a car. The bus system isn't too terrible, but it's not the most reliable either. Free parking is available at both WO and Hillandale, although it does get pretty tough to find parking later in the morning at WO.

I would avoid staying in Virginia if you dont want to spend an hour+ in traffic each morning and each evening. Better to stay on the Maryland side. Commuting from DC proper isn't too bad.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats! I got selected as well! I'll be there in January 2020 with the CDER Drug Shortage Staff.

Congratulations! There are a lot of cheap AirBnB rentals near Silver Spring; just make sure you bring a car, and don't live too far (the beltway traffic is horrible). This is going to be your favorite rotation by far. Have fun networking (drinking) with your fellow students!