Favorite physical exam findings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JayneCobb

big damn hero....
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
List your favorite physical finding, the name and a pic if you can find one.

[SIZE=-1]Mueller's sign[/SIZE] associated with aortic-valve insufficiency. Click link for video.

Members don't see this ad.

11f1.gif

This is pretty cool. From the new images in clinical medicine in the NEJM.

Members don't see this ad :)
WNL is mine

(+) Babinski! which by the way was never called by Babinski as that...He called a dfferent one (forgot which one) the babinski sign...but this extensor toe was what struck...

Would never forget the image of a uterine prolapse though...I was o duty at the ER then...shudder....

Big breasts on a twenty-year-old female is mine.

And, yes, I re-evaluate often.

I think you should stick with girls your own age. Based on your posts, I'm guessing that's around 13. :rolleyes:

That's OK, they don't have big breasts. But thanks for the suggestion.

(+) belly-button lint sign

Less sarcasm, more physical findings. Keep it on topic and keep the Lounge crap out of the professional forums.

Frank's sign, associated (by some) with Coronary artery disease. it's the ELC arrow in this pic.
en_a3fig01.jpg

wow, that's the first tie I've ever heard of that sign...thanks!

hsp.jpg

Senile purpura (not the best picture, generally a little darker.). Very common in old people secondary to think skin and weak vessels, but it is nice to mention how extensive this is should the patient come back in later with thrombocytopenia and you're not sure if this is associated with that or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify -- and I won't post any more in this thread -- I wasn't being sarcastic. lol.

i like torus palantine...esp since the patients don't realize it's an anomaly until i say something (whoops), lol...

(+) Babinski! which by the way was never called by Babinski as that...He called a dfferent one (forgot which one) the babinski sign...but this extensor toe was what struck...

Would never forget the image of a uterine prolapse though...I was o duty at the ER then...shudder....

uterine prolapse is alright... I mean, I can at least find the cervix on these patients, unlike the others... see if you can find it though:

uterine_prolapse.jpg

Haha... I know! My patient was an old lady in a skirt who told me she had a mass on her introitus. I was prepared for a polyp, but when I lifted her skirt--:eek: I could not believe my eyes!

Another fave of mine as an intern in NICU...palmar grasp reflex...awwww...

Less sarcasm, more physical findings. Keep it on topic and keep the Lounge crap out of the professional forums.

Frank's sign, associated (by some) with Coronary artery disease. it's the ELC arrow in this pic.
en_a3fig01.jpg

Hmm, i thought this was associated with RHF?

uterine prolapse is alright... I mean, I can at least find the cervix on these patients, unlike the others... see if you can find it though:

Do not post in this thread simply to be gross or cute. This is suppose to be a forum made up of professionals, let's keep it that way.

+ teddy bear sign

U of M ann arbor 1997 ...american J of psych

pt who are grown and have a teddy bear in bed with them is specific for borderlin personality....
on my census of 4 patientsrught now, i happen to have two

chief

+ teddy bear sign

U of M ann arbor 1997 ...american J of psych

pt who are grown and have a teddy bear in bed with them is specific for borderlin personality....
on my census of 4 patientsrught now, i happen to have two

chief

If we're going to throw in psych physical exam signs, how about Polyringia?

2395524_59e787839e.jpg

ArcusSenilis.jpg

I'll post this one since I'm surprised how few medical students know it. arcus senilis associated with hyperlipidemia.

Pulsatile liver in severe tricuspid regurg - had a pt last week with Ebstein's anomaly, and sure enough...