FAU vs. Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UncleDrew2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Cincinnati

Pros
  • Better name recognition
  • Prefer testing schedule
  • More research opportunities
  • Has own hospital system
  • Much better facilities
Cons
  • 30k more expensive overall
  • P/F but ranked in quartiles
  • Lived in Ohio before and don't really like it compared to Florida
  • Almost triple the class size of FAU, feels less personal

FAU

Pros
  • Close to home
  • Class seemed much closer to each other
  • Faculty seemed to care more
  • 10 minute drive to the beach
  • True P/F, no ranking
  • Love the small class size
  • Weather and Florida>>Ohio
Cons
  • Newer school
  • Less research opportunities
  • No hospital system of their own
  • On undergrad campus so shared facilities

Basically I feel like FAU is more personal and it seems like a very collaborative and caring environment. While Cinci could very well be the same type of environment, it is also well-established with beautiful facilities and an amazing hospital system. Although being new, FAU has boasted very impressive match lists and I plan on going into a competitive specialty and would ultimately want to land a residency in California or Florida if that matters. Any input would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment much on FAU but I interviewed at Cincinnati (accepted).

Did you take into account becoming an IS resident after first year? That may shift the cost as little bit.

I also thought Cinci seemed extremely supportive/collaborative for a bigger sized class.. I would not use that as a con against them!

All in all it sounds like you want to go to FAU. Although Cinci is the higher ranked school, you should go where you think you will have the most support and will be able to thrive as a student. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about Cincinnati

Reactions: 1 user
I can't comment much on FAU but I interviewed at Cincinnati (accepted).

Did you take into account becoming an IS resident after first year? That may shift the cost as little bit.

I also thought Cinci seemed extremely supportive/collaborative for a bigger sized class.. I would not use that as a con against them!

All in all it sounds like you want to go to FAU. Although Cinci is the higher ranked school, you should go where you think you will have the most support and will be able to thrive as a student. Good luck! Feel free to PM me if you want to talk more about Cincinnati
Thanks a lot for responding! I actually flip between each school every other day lol. Are you going to be attending Cinci?