"Fatal Error, Please contact proctor"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tinablue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my USMLE step 2 CK. I completed all my blocks. At the end, I also did the optional survey. After I completed the survey, an error message popped up on the screen saying something like there is a "fatal error, please contact proctor." I did, but the proctor couldn't resolve the problem and according to their computer screen, my test was still INCOMPLETE.

I was told to contact NBME directly to verify that they have the full exam, but it's Friday evening so I have to wait until Monday.

I was assured by two of the staff that the test gets saved at the end of each block on the NBME server and that this shouldn't in anyway cause me to have to retake the exam.

Has anyone had a similar technical problem? Or know someone who had a similar technical problem? And if you do to question 1 or 2, did you or your friend have to retake the test? Secondly, is this true about the NBME server thingy??

Arrrrggggggggghhhh.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to think positively about this for a moment, think about the worst case scenario--retaking the test in a few days. In my mind this could only help you. You've just received 400 free practice questions from the actual test.

I realize it's frustrating to take the test again, but unless you had to travel a long way to get to a testing center, this doesn't seem like that big of a deal; and you may end up better off in the end.

I just finished my USMLE step 2 CK. I completed all my blocks. At the end, I also did the optional survey. After I completed the survey, an error message popped up on the screen saying something like there is a "fatal error, please contact proctor." I did, but the proctor couldn't resolve the problem and according to their computer screen, my test was still INCOMPLETE.

I was told to contact NBME directly to verify that they have the full exam, but it's Friday evening so I have to wait until Monday.

I was assured by two of the staff that the test gets saved at the end of each block on the NBME server and that this shouldn't in anyway cause me to have to retake the exam.

Has anyone had a similar technical problem? Or know someone who had a similar technical problem? And if you do to question 1 or 2, did you or your friend have to retake the test? Secondly, is this true about the NBME server thingy??

Arrrrggggggggghhhh.

Thanks

Did you take this at Prometrics? I have been told the computers save all info automatically to help prevent loss of data from crap like this happening. I have a friend who took Step I and had her computer freeze up twice and even reset, but she still got her score as usual. Did you raise your hand and tell the proctor? They usually document it on paper as well. Hope this helps!

So what did you find out?

Our class had a whole bunch of students have to repeat Step 2. Something happened about the images not showing up so the NBOME cancelled out their exams and they had to take it over. AWFUL!!!:eek: