"Fatal Error" message at end of Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ASAintolerance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Long time lurker and first-time poster here. I took my step 1 on 6/26 and will post my experience in the official scores and experiences thread. I had a scare at the end of my test and was wondering if anyone had the same experience. When my test was over, I was filling out the survey and I think my entire day's time (8 hours) ran out. There was a screen that said I completed the test, but then a red box popped up and said "fatal error, contact proctor". Did this happen to anyone else? If so, did it affect your scores or anything? I am just afraid that the nbme didn't get my test or something, and I would hate to have to take this thing again! I am very worried and any feedback is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

According to webster's, fatal = causing death. Therefore, your error will likely kill you:eek:.

But seriously, I had the same message, but I still got my confirmation sheet that said I took the test from the testing center. As long as you have that, I think you're golden.

I forgot to add that this error apparently made it impossible for the test center to print out my confirmation page, so I didn't get that either. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
No, I just kept getting, "Do you want to keep running script errors on this page?" I was like, "I don't know, do I?" So I called the proctor and he told me to just click yes. But he looked like he didn't really care. Which pissed me off-- watch me get every one of those script error questions wrong.

Hi All,

Long time lurker and first-time poster here. I took my step 1 on 6/26 and will post my experience in the official scores and experiences thread. I had a scare at the end of my test and was wondering if anyone had the same experience. When my test was over, I was filling out the survey and I think my entire day's time (8 hours) ran out. There was a screen that said I completed the test, but then a red box popped up and said "fatal error, contact proctor". Did this happen to anyone else? If so, did it affect your scores or anything? I am just afraid that the nbme didn't get my test or something, and I would hate to have to take this thing again! I am very worried and any feedback is much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

To my knowledge, answers are recorded in real-time, so I think it should be fine.