Fast-Tracking Interventional Cardiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myostatin

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those of you applying to fast track programs, does anyone know if its possible to use some of the protected research time to complete requirements for certification in interventional? I.e., is it possilbe to fast-track and be completely done in 7 years, or is it going to take an additional year after that for more training in interventional.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Myostatin said:
To those of you applying to fast track programs, does anyone know if its possible to use some of the protected research time to complete requirements for certification in interventional? I.e., is it possilbe to fast-track and be completely done in 7 years, or is it going to take an additional year after that for more training in interventional.

Thanks

Fast tracking does not save you any extra time. You still have to meet ABIM requirements for total amount of time during residency/fellowship in order to be board-eligible. Out of the people I know who are well into fellowship, they have not been allowed to pursue sub-sub-specialty training until their basic time requirements are completed for their sub-specialty. So you will need to spend a total of 6 years doing cards+IM regardless of whether you fast-track (at many of the top academic programs you have to do 7 years, because they are really focused on research). After that time you will be able to pursue further specialization.

AJM said:
Fast tracking does not save you any extra time. You still have to meet ABIM requirements for total amount of time during residency/fellowship in order to be board-eligible. Out of the people I know who are well into fellowship, they have not been allowed to pursue sub-sub-specialty training until their basic time requirements are completed for their sub-specialty. So you will need to spend a total of 6 years doing cards+IM regardless of whether you fast-track (at many of the top academic programs you have to do 7 years, because they are really focused on research). After that time you will be able to pursue further specialization.

Can you please enlighten me as to what is fast-tracking program for IC, and what centres offer this option? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Fast tracking is:
2 years internal medicine
2 years cardiology
3 years research

you apply for the program all at once, when you apply initially for internal medicine. There is no specific fast-track program for interventional Cardiology. Interventional fellowship would be an additional 1-2 years after the above. I was hoping that some of the research time could be used for interventional fellowship training, but apparently this is not the case. Doesn't save any time overall, but its good if you're planning on a research/academic career.

I'm just curious about this I guess. At my medical school, with a highly respected cardiology fellowship, the IM residency is 3 years, the Cardio fellowship is 3 years, and then interventional requires 1 additional year. I have heard this will probably go to 2 by the time I get there, but still, it is only 7 years now. I guess I just think calling something "Fast" is strange when it takes longer than some other programs.