FAP program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ClickityClack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I correct in assuming that the FAP program is only for MDs?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't all chime in at once.

There's a big faq on the MD side of the house about this program. I'd like to see one over here as well, so I (and future mil-dents) don't have to muck around with people who like to stick their fingers in the wrong end.
If someone could post or PM me a link or something, that'd be great, too. (Something other than, "yes, it applies to dentists.") I've been unable to find one.

Don't all chime in at once.

There's a big faq on the MD side of the house about this program. I'd like to see one over here as well, so I (and future mil-dents) don't have to muck around with people who like to stick their fingers in the wrong end.
If someone could post or PM me a link or something, that'd be great, too. (Something other than, "yes, it applies to dentists.") I've been unable to find one.

It does apply, but your not going to find that many dentists who are on FAP. The big motivation for the Docs to avoid HPSP and take FAP is because it allows them to pick their specialty without interference from the military. This isn't the case in dentistry where the vast majority of dentists don't do a residency. When compared to HPSP for dentists, it doesn't really make any sense because there is an added year of duty (ie if you take FAP for 3 years, you owe 4 in payback).

I don't have first hand knowledge of any of this, but it probably explains why you're not getting any responses. If you go the Navy's (the only one I know since that's what I am), it is addressed.

http://navmedmpte.med.navy.mil/accessions/index.cfm

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh. Well, thanks then. I was hoping that the FAP would help me pursue a dental specialty.

Thanks for the link.

Dude, there is no easier way to specialize than in the military. I read your other posts about your time in service OIF etc, prior military experience definately will help. I know you mentioned Ortho, and that might be a little tough right out of school, but it's tough everywhere. There were 2 guys in my dental school class at U of Iowa in the top 5 that didn't get accepted to ortho in the civilian side. They both ended up doing endo, not sure why if they really wanted to be ortodontists, but that's another topic. Ortho sucks to get into regardless. There really is not an easier way to specialize than in the Army. I'm not a recruiter, quite the opposite, the truth is you will go to dental school and find what you like. I think 2/3 of my class said they wanted to be ortodontists, but once they were in school and saw how much other cool stuff there was, suddenly bending wires didn't really appeal to them. Suddenly they wanted to be Surgeons, Pedo whatever. Some of us realized that "just a dentist" was ok too.