Family Medicine Shelf

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ciestar

All grown up!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, time is creeping up on me and third year is starting soon.

Ive heard you should be studying for the Family Med shelf starting day one, as it is the hardest of all of them. (Is this true). Does the study hard from day one thing apply from day one for all rotations? I hear psych is lighter and that is my second clerkship.

Anyway, another question..
What should I use to study? My school provides some topic-specific lectures/notes to review but also Case Files and Swanson’s. They warn us against using FA.

Members don't see this ad.

My go-to was always Online MedEd, NBME practice tests, UWorld, and one textbook specific to the clerkship. For family medicine I used Case Files and a little Step Up to Medicine.

On every clerkship you should be studying from day one because you should be reading daily about your patients' conditions, medications, etc.

My school requires an NBME practice test each rotation. When you say UWorld you mean the stuff for Step2?

Yes, UWorld for Step 2. I do all the NBMEs, and often see the questions turn up on the shelf. Especially for the FM shelf which can turn out to be an absolute clusterf*ck of whatever they feel like putting on there, I'd do as many NBMEs as possible (though I think there might only be 1-2).

There are also some online questions on the AAFP website, which are more residency-level but still helpful, and an online question bank from UVA.

Our clerkship director did mention AAFP. I will for sure do the NBME’s.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wanted to rebump this. I need to get it together. Redeeming myself from Step 1 starts with honoring my rotations and I need >75% on the shelf to do that.

I’ve been reading Case Files almost daily. Doing research in topics given to me during rounds almost daily. Just in general following-up with my patients i’ve been assigned (inpatient FM).

Anyway.. i havent purchased UWorld yet. My loan money came through today. I’ve done some of the AAFP questions, doing alright on them all things considered. (UWorld isn’t great for FM?) NBME is next weekend. Second NBME in three weeks.

What more can I do to prepare? I hated FA for step 1 and my school still seems to encourage its use...is Step Up to Boards better?

What role does Online MedEd play?
I don’t want too many resources to overwhelm me. I have FA Psych for my next rotation.

FA for step 2 is trash. Case Files is good. Highly recommend watching as much OME as possible for FM - if you see it on your clerkship, watch the video about it. The FM shelf is more "what do you do next" type questions than step 1 pathophys type questions you might see on the IM shelf, and OME is great for that. Watch the videos on the recommended FM schedule & then some. Step Up to Medicine ambulatory & derm chapters may help as well. Know your vaccine schedules & USPSTF screening guidelines.

Ive had to present on USPSTF screening on a few things already! That is reassuring. Slowly learning the vaccine schedule, but I am having trouble keeping those straight.

The question style might explain why I am doing better with it. It requires a different thought process than pathophys.

Thanks again! I’ll take a look at OME in the morning.

Reactions: 1 user
FA for step 2 is trash. Case Files is good. Highly recommend watching as much OME as possible for FM - if you see it on your clerkship, watch the video about it. The FM shelf is more "what do you do next" type questions than step 1 pathophys type questions you might see on the IM shelf, and OME is great for that. Watch the videos on the recommended FM schedule & then some. Step Up to Medicine ambulatory & derm chapters may help as well. Know your vaccine schedules & USPSTF screening guidelines.

Jk looking at it now. Is the free version enough? Or is the OME qbank worth having?

I can not find a thread for FM shelf like other rotations...Am I over-looking it or there is none?

Also, seems like for FM, I should use OME and case files...anything else anyone can recommend?

Where on AAFP or UVA can I find the question bank? Please help out...thanks!!!

I can not find a thread for FM shelf like other rotations...Am I over-looking it or there is none?

Also, seems like for FM, I should use OME and case files...anything else anyone can recommend?

Where on AAFP or UVA can I find the question bank? Please help out...thanks!!!

Hey! Case Files was plenty. I didnt use much OME.

AAFP Family Medicine Board Review Questions

Just need to make an account through aafp

Last edited:
Does anyone have the exact link for family medicine AAFP questions? I joined the membership and still can't find where these questions are.

Jk looking at it now. Is the free version enough? Or is the OME qbank worth having?

Not really he never up dates them and there are a lot of BS questions that aren’t really correct.

Plus a lot of questions are like “these are all correct because I say so but this one is better because I say so blah blah”

And no references to any source

Had a correct answer be a drug not even available in the US

Does anyone have the exact link for family medicine AAFP questions? I joined the membership and still can't find where these questions are.

I posted a link a few posts before yours

I posted a link a few posts before yours
Thanks! but I keep on getting sent to that link and there is no actual way to start the question bank, am I missing something here? lol sorry and thanks for help!

Yeah non of those above links to the practice questions are working for me either...