Family Medicine Interviews 2012-2013!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it just me or are FM invites occurring at a snails pace?

I've only gotten 3 invites so far from 140 programs I've applied to. (I'm a US-IMG, so that should explain why I spent 3 grand on apps.)

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my ERAS application in September and have heard back from some programs and have gone to some interviews. However, I have not heard back from a particular program that I really want to go to; at it seems that a lot of people received their invitation back in Sept. I have had some significant updates in my resume since submitting my application. Would it be appropriate to email the residency coordinator and tell them about my continued interest in the program and about my updated resume? Any suggestions?

Is it just me or are FM invites occurring at a snails pace?

I've only gotten 3 invites so far from 140 programs I've applied to. (I'm a US-IMG, so that should explain why I spent 3 grand on apps.)

I applied to around 100 and have gotten 20+ invites, 10 rejections, wait listed and turned down a few iv's. Did you submit on Sept 15th or just recently? Cause that may explain it. Otherwise it seems a little weird unless your application is not competitive or there are red flags.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received most of my invites the few weeks after submitting my app in September; a couple more trickled in after MSPE's in October.

Otherwise, it's mostly been rejections the past couple weeks, haha.

I had the same kind of flow. I haven't gotten any rejections yet but it would be nice to hear something from UNC (which I applied to on Sept 15). I called and emailed so maybe a rejection is forthcoming. I applied to Duke yesterday (weird timing I know) so I am sure I won't get an interview but I figured hey it's worth a shot!

I applied to around 100 and have gotten 20+ invites, 10 rejections, wait listed and turned down a few iv's. Did you submit on Sept 15th or just recently? Cause that may explain it. Otherwise it seems a little weird unless your application is not competitive or there are red flags.

I submitted on the 26th because I didn't have my CK score in or the LORs up. But according to "aprogdirector" it shouldn't have made a drastic difference.

Also, I would think my app isn't too bad, haven't failed anything, average scores for family, no visa issues, basically I guess the above average? Caribbean grad. :confused:

Lets see what tomorrow brings.

Hard to say septoplasty. It probably shouldn't have mattered, most of my interviews came in early to mid october. Things have really slowed to a crawl now. Did you apply widely and broadly? I think things on the whole are hyper-competitive this year. There are so many applicants to each program. 500 and up that if you aren't the first in the door and/or a US grad, then it's probably tough. It can be really subjective too. If you personal statement wasn't good or you don't have good USCE or LOR's aren't outstanding, then it might be easy for them to look at other applicants as there are so many. If you have programs that you rotated through for FM, contact them to check on your application. You should at least be able to secure interview there. Also, hang tight, people start canceling interviews as the season wears on, so you should get some. But I don't envy you and don't quite get why you aren't getting Iv's. Maybe today.

FYI for anyone applying and waiting to hear from UNC Chapel Hill -- I got an email today saying they are still reviewing applications and that if they are able to extend an interview then we will hear by the end of the week. I am not feeling so optimistic but I can hope! :)

Good luck to everyone!

Hard to say septoplasty. It probably shouldn't have mattered, most of my interviews came in early to mid october. Things have really slowed to a crawl now. Did you apply widely and broadly? I think things on the whole are hyper-competitive this year. There are so many applicants to each program. 500 and up that if you aren't the first in the door and/or a US grad, then it's probably tough. It can be really subjective too. If you personal statement wasn't good or you don't have good USCE or LOR's aren't outstanding, then it might be easy for them to look at other applicants as there are so many. If you have programs that you rotated through for FM, contact them to check on your application. You should at least be able to secure interview there. Also, hang tight, people start canceling interviews as the season wears on, so you should get some. But I don't envy you and don't quite get why you aren't getting Iv's. Maybe today.

I've applied widely & broadly considering its 140 apps, so pretty much every place that I was eligible at. Its still odd that I haven't gotten at least a 10% yield from the 140. Although I think some programs are still reviewing apps, I can only hope that I'll get more. I did get a surprise phone call from someone from a place I've applied to today, totally screwed up the convo. Sigh. :scared:

I finally heard from Via Christi in Wichita, KS. Pretty excited about that program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite at OHSU in early October.

Rejection from Texas A&M in Bryan via e-mail.

Rejection from Via Christi and Texas A&M Bryan

Does anyone know anything about Grandview Family Residency in Dayton, OH? I have an interview there in a week or two and trying to decide if should go. I have 7 other DO or combined MD/DO residency interviews and one MD interview. Not sure if I can go to them all since this will be my first interview if I do go and only have 6 weeks before December ends.

Hey everyone-

I am curious about having an interview in January. I got the invite in early October but it worked better for my schedule and budget to put it in January (Jan 7). Will this hurt me? Should I try and move it? I will have to move a flight as well so I am wondering if it makes a significant enough of a difference to be worth the headache. Thanks!

Ashley

Hey everyone-

I am curious about having an interview in January. I got the invite in early October but it worked better for my schedule and budget to put it in January (Jan 7). Will this hurt me? Should I try and move it? I will have to move a flight as well so I am wondering if it makes a significant enough of a difference to be worth the headache. Thanks!

Ashley

Not exactly sure why interviewing at a later date would make any difference.

Ok good I was hoping that was true but I got worried. Thank you!

Carib grad 2012, ECFMG certified, Canadian citizen (need visa)

All passed on first attempt:

Step 1: 219/93
CK: 213/90
CS: Pass
Step 3: 219/82

Applied to over 150 FM programs, very few University, mostly community. Only 3 interviews so far, and 30+ rejections.

Not exactly sure why interviewing at a later date would make any difference.

It doesn't make a difference, per se. However, there can be interview fatigue on both sides which may affect how things are perceived.

If January works out better, go with that.

hey did anyone interviewed at SIU decatur? Also, is it a malignant program? I Was told that they fired an intern last year. Anyone know the cause of it?
thanks!

hey did anyone interviewed at SIU decatur? Also, is it a malignant program? I Was told that they fired an intern last year. Anyone know the cause of it?
thanks!
I am also wondering about that program. Anyone have experience with their residents?

Last edited:
Also, does anyone have a sense of which non-Chicago programs are the best in Illinois?

Also, does anyone have a sense of which non-Chicago programs are the best in Illinois?

It depends on what you're looking for. West Suburban is a solid program: unopposed, you get to do a decent amount of procedures, strong in women's health and underserved populations. Hinsdale is similar in the sense that it is also unopposed, you run the codes and are THE doctor for your patients. You get to do more procedures there and the hospital is nicer with complete EHR, whereas West Sub still has paper charting in-patient. Resurrection, Lutheran, and NorthShore (affiliated with University of Chicago) are also pretty strong programs. Again, it depends on what you're looking for. Ressurrection and NorthShore both have a large geriatric population, Lutheran has more peds/young adults and has a big Down Syndrome center. Chose a place that you feel comfortable training at and where you will get a broad education.

Good luck!

FYI got an interview from Duke today and I applied late in the season. Didn't know they were still inviting! Good luck everyone. :)

It depends on what you're looking for. West Suburban is a solid program: unopposed, you get to do a decent amount of procedures, strong in women's health and underserved populations. Hinsdale is similar in the sense that it is also unopposed, you run the codes and are THE doctor for your patients. You get to do more procedures there and the hospital is nicer with complete EHR, whereas West Sub still has paper charting in-patient. Resurrection, Lutheran, and NorthShore (affiliated with University of Chicago) are also pretty strong programs. Again, it depends on what you're looking for. Ressurrection and NorthShore both have a large geriatric population, Lutheran has more peds/young adults and has a big Down Syndrome center. Chose a place that you feel comfortable training at and where you will get a broad education.

Good luck!
Any thoughts on the Advocate Christ program?

has anyone interviewed at UIC peoria? if so, how was the experience?
thanks!

has anyone interviewed at UIC peoria? if so, how was the experience?
thanks!
i interviewed there in past month. very friendly. lots of great people. dinners are 1 on 1 night previous. town is small enough for community feel, but large enough to have everything else. interviews were great. lots of impressive and friendly faculty. wrote a nice follow up and never heard anything back, which was a little disappointing. would consider it high on my list. great benefits as well.

I had a Skype Interview with Promedica and it mentioned that the Skype Interview was preliminary. I was wondering if the program will have formal interivew?

Did anyone had Skype Interview from ProMedica? If so, was there follow-up with formal Interview?

Thanks!

I know many of you are done with interviews. Please bear with me as I am still on the trail. I got a call from Smiley's clinic in Minnesota today. I heard from one of the people I met at another interview that it was "terrible" and they were "running out of funding". At this point, I need to be careful about where I go for interviews so I don't waste precious time. If anyone has input on this program, I would appreciate it!

wow i can't believe programs are still giving out interviews this late in the season. but good luck!

I know many of you are done with interviews. Please bear with me as I am still on the trail. I got a call from Smiley's clinic in Minnesota today. I heard from one of the people I met at another interview that it was "terrible" and they were "running out of funding". At this point, I need to be careful about where I go for interviews so I don't waste precious time. If anyone has input on this program, I would appreciate it!

Hi - I am a regular follower of this forum, it helped me a lot during my residency search. I came across your post and wanted to share my view. But due to not posting for long time, my old login is not working - hence a new one. I'm now a second year resident at Smiley's program in Minnesota, I can personally attest that the program is and continues to be a strong program. We are respected at the University and it upsets me to see what people have written about my program. I know that applying to residencies is hard and sometimes scary and so sharing what you learn interviewing makes sense. On the other hand, you never know if the information shared is accurate, especially when hearing it third hand. I can tell you that our program director, Dr. Pita Adam, is an excellent PD and is very approachable and would be more than happy to talk personally to any applicant with questions. Hope you have/had a great time interviewing here. Thank you.

how hard is it rumored to be to get an interview at ventura?

At Ventura we generally receive close to 800 applications each year and interview somewhere around 175 for the 14 spots in the intern class.

DItto!! So excited for yall!!!! (and jealous too!)

Where will you be Bacchus??

This wait until March is gonna be painful