fairness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amp123

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I just wonder how important connections are for one to get into a residency program. Are there people who got into programs by just having "connections"?

Members don't see this ad.

amp123 said:
Sometimes I just wonder how important connections are for one to get into a residency program. Are there people who got into programs by just having "connections"?

It's all ball bearings these days. And it's always who you know.

Hi

If you know someone in a program it certainly helps. Connections are extremely important nowadays... especially for competitive programs.

lf

Yes, connections are very important. For many programs, a known entity is much better than an unknown one. That being said, you can get into many programs without knowing someone, but as was mentioned in a previous post, it helps A LOT with competitive programs to know someone. Unless of course, they hate your guts...

I think things are fair in the residency interview process. The 'connections' that help are generally not idle acquaintances or friendships that one has with an insider, but rather a clinical relationship with prior knowledge of your capabilities, work ethic, and interpersonal skills. In that sense, it is kind of like an extended interview.

Someone above mentioned preference for known applicants. That is probably true, so long as what is known about that applicant is significantly better than what they could expect from their average applicant.

If you don't have a 'connection' at a residency program of choice, then try doing an away rotation there and knocking their socks off. That will give you an opportunity for them to learn more about you, and for you to learn more about them.