Failed wreb

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anteater831

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Damn, this sucks. Can anyone PM me if u failed it and passed the second time? I wasted so much money to take it. I am out of school too. Just gotta suck it up, pay another 10 G's to take it and hopefully pass.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend in a similar situation. He passed with an 83 score. He only received 4 slips, however.

It is absurd. I mean with that many pink slips they must have done spectacular on everything else. Maybe the examiners are kinder to those who are getting hammered with pink slips.

One thing we do know: Pink slips are not necessarily bad.

DD

But where did all your friends who had so many pink slips and still made it take their exam? the pssing rate in california seems to be way lower that that elsewhere, so they probably took it elsewhere.

I had 2 pink slips for being late, each for 2 points, which makes me more volnurable to the these people's grading. now that I heard that the passing rate in loma linda is only 55% , i'm almost sure i failed!

They took it at Temple. I have to admit they really tried to keep us relaxed at Temple. Compared to the NERB, the WREB seemed like angels. It was night and day.

Members don't see this ad :)
5 pink slips=lose about 15 points. So, if he got stellar in everything else, he still passed. However, but if he got pink slip because of fracture cusp, high spot, etc...He wouldn't get high score in restoration part. The guy must got perfect score in endo.

A random question: what condensation technique do you guys use for the exam?
obtura gun
warm vertical
lateral

A random question: what condensation technique do you guys use for the exam?
obtura gun
warm vertical
lateral

I used lateral condensation. My anterior was calcified so I only put one 35 cone in and sealed it. I saw some endodontists using all kinds of methods, some people even brought apex locators. All I know is that you should pick easy teeth, and make sure you get done on time.

DD

It is absurd. I mean with that many pink slips they must have done spectacular on everything else. Maybe the examiners are kinder to those who are getting hammered with pink slips.

One thing we do know: Pink slips are not necessarily bad.

DD

He didn't do spectacular on the one thing I saw, which was his final radiographs from endo. He had multiple voids throughout the fill, including the apical portion.

Hi there! I passed the WREB Exam! The day of the exam think of: It's you who has to judge what the right dental procedure is. It's kind of your own office for these 4 days of the exam, how you manage things and what decisions you make that moment! Take a deep breath and say: I am going to manage my patients with the best possible treatment. Good luck !:thumbup:

PENN had a 100% pass rate as well for the WREB and 98.9% pass rate for the NERB exam. 99% of our class took the NERB, 10% took the WREB, and 4 people took the Florida boards, 1 person took the Delaware boards.

I think CITA and NERB have joined to become ADLEX which licenses 42 states.

DD

yesterday, one of WREB member told me that they have a unexpected high failing rate ,now I fell more nervous than before,she said they will mail it today,still waiting.....

yesterday, one of WREB member told me that they have a unexpected high failing rate ,now I fell more nervous than before,she said they will mail it today,still waiting.....

That is not good. I guess the new grading system backfired. They knew there were going to be a little bit more failures, but they thought it would standardize the entire exam even more. But when the mean of the exam is between 76-79% having one rejection can over throw the pass rate. It seems like at least 1/4 of the people taking the exam had at least one patient rejection.

Good luck to everyone anticipating results.

DD

Hey guys...just took WREB exam at Minnesota June 21-24. Prepared incessantly for over a month. Perio went well, endo went well...except I have a question. Finished endo with 30 min to go, took x-rays, processed in automatic developer...anterior tooth came out cone-cut on M/D view. Retook x-ray and hand-dipped. X-ray was still wet when I put it in the mount. Turned it in on time though. Think they will call x-ray undiagnostic?
Also...worried about operative. First tooth had 4 modifications, all accepted...got pulp exposure (lost 5 points). Second tooth, asked for a modification and was rejected (3 points lost). At any rate, I thought preps and fills were very good. Put supplemental grooves in my amalgam fill. Composite fill and prep were nice also and at ideal specifications. The waiting is a killer. I am praying every day that I got through. I know that they grade tougher than what people realize. Any advice, guys? P.S.--I was told that the grades were sent out Tuesday afternoon. Yikes! The written went well...perio was a joke and prostho was not as bad as I had heard it would be. :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I retook xray like 3 times before I could find a nice one to submit. I used the 2 film package and kept one film for reference. Now that I looked at them earlier last week, my professor was hissing at me saying that xray is not too great. Eventhough there is no cone cut, everything is there. They just look blurr after a month. I hope they graded your endo right away, otherwise, they could have taken points off.
Written part is weird too. I thought that all questions have equal points, but turn out they are not. Some questions have more points than others, so it depends on what you missed.
If they mailed out on Tues, you should get it the latest Sat? Best of luck to you

They mailed out the result Tuesday for Minnesota exam, but she said that my file was missing the follow up agreement patients signature, lam still working on them, and she said that she will mail the result after she will receive all the papers, lam still waiting, she said that 15 pass, and 11 fail, and sound look like I am one of those they fail..hope not...... Keep preying to pass...

57% passing rate is not a good number. Why are those people so harsh? That's even lower than the california state board passing grade.

57% pass rate, it looks like they probably have more than expected seats open for the last two exams of the year so they need to fail people in order to fill up those seats. What a horrendous outcome.

The first three years of dental school you are taught to believe in fairness and if you work hard your outcome will be good. You study hard for the DAT and you do good, study hard in classes you do good, study hard for part I you do good. Then fourth year hits and you realize that getting your degree means nothing, you have to pay your way to pass and get your license. Pay for patients, instruments assistants, pay to get a certificate to put in your office, pay out of your *** to get anything done. Then you realize that the entire system in about money.

DD

Nope...no scores yet. Called WREB..was told my scores were posted Tuesday. So via regular mail...should get them by Friday/Saturday?
You know, at the end of the examination, I was waiting for my patient in the hallway (ridden with anxiety, of course). One of the examiners stepped out, and it was my group manager from dental school! What are the chances? Anyway, to say the least, he wasn't the nicest person, and that is probably why so many people failed. Hope that I am not one of the crew, and best of luck to all candidates. The feeling that you have, waiting, when you know you lost points in a section, and knowing that they failed so many people, is worse than hideous. I would not subject my worst enemy, or the worst felon, to this feeling that I have been having. At this point, we must just pray to the Lord above that everything will be all right. Once again, good luck to all!

Why was your school faculty also the examiner at the site? That doesn't sound too kosher? I thought they have a group of examiners from other places?

Well, it has been a few years since I graduated, and I am now in my residency program somewhere else. However, what is disappointing is that I took the WREB because I heard that it was a fair and just examination, and that they tried to help the candidates get through, get out, and practice. If these statistics are indeed true, then they are about as reliable as the NERB exam, or the California board. I also know that a very small group of candidates completed the board at Minnesota, and when there is a smaller group, there seems to be a lot more room for scrutiny. Oh well, just counting down the hours until I get some news. Hope it is good.

57% pass rate, it looks like they probably have more than expected seats open for the last two exams of the year so they need to fail people in order to fill up those seats. What a horrendous outcome.

The first three years of dental school you are taught to believe in fairness and if you work hard your outcome will be good. You study hard for the DAT and you do good, study hard in classes you do good, study hard for part I you do good. Then fourth year hits and you realize that getting your degree means nothing, you have to pay your way to pass and get your license. Pay for patients, instruments assistants, pay to get a certificate to put in your office, pay out of your *** to get anything done. Then you realize that the entire system in about money.

DD

I wondered what the point of 4 years of vigorous dental school instruction was worth when you base so much of your success on 2-3 days of hell in the fryer. Good luck to all you MN test takers. I hope it was better than 57%!
That's horrendous.

So, it turns out, the passing rate IS 57%. That is true. Got my scores today and FAILED. I not only received a 5 point deduction for pulp exposure, but I got zero out of six points for my internal form on my amalgam prep. Even on my composite prep and fills, which were ideal, some points were deducted. I am beyond sad. All I know is, I know one of the individuals that does the grading on a personal level, and he SHOULD NOT be a board examiner. He is a horrific person, and if it came down to passing or failing a student, the student would eat it for sure. Which has been proven, if you look at the exam stats. I have decided to take the NERB. My WREB experience was really bad. The worst part of it was, I passed every other section, and still failed. Furthermore, the graders are not consistent. At the Cleveland site, people were breaking off files in teeth and still passing. With the exception of the pinpoint pulp exposure, which happens during dentistry when you have a lesion with more decay than you anticipated, nothing went wrong. My fills were outstanding, should have gotten straight fives on all of the criterion, and still points were deducted. I am impressed with those who managed to pass the examination. They must have managed to do stellar work, better than what the examiners themselves were capable of. At any rate, I have to pick myself up and go on. In the end, only you have the capability to change things. Good luck to the rest of the people who took the exam.

Sorry to hear that, I agree with you, I will go and registered for NERB exam than loosing time and money with those people.

Dear Periodoc,

I am sorry to hear the bad news. The NERB is a much easier exam to pass, but its just the examiners are a little rough. I felt the WREB the floor examiners and adjunct employees were Super nice, but they graded hard.

I had both the WREB and NERB within 3 weeks of each other. I thought I was going to die. However, you will pass, don't let this keep you down.

If anyone has any questions about NERB vs. WREB you can pm me or ask me on the forum. Still suffering from post traumatic stress disorder

Regards,

DD

Hey ItsGavin C--cute kids, very cute kids. You know, the only people that I met who scored highly on the WREB exam were people who submitted ideal lesions that required no modifications. I also think that the site examiners have a lot to do with how you do. For example, a friend of mine who is an Ortho resident told me he lost 11 points on his Operative preps without knowing how. His endo teeth had multiple voids in both fills. He still passed the examination. My anterior endo looked EXACTLY like the textbook example in the WREB manual, and I still received only an 88%; my posterior tooth had a perfect access and the condensation was a bit short (1.5mm from apex), but that was it. The endo was good endo that I wouldn't be afraid to have done in my own mouth.
However, as I said, the examiner that was my group leader, whom I recognized after the exam had wrapped up, should not be an examiner. He is literally bipolar, even the faculty at the school knew this. In fact, he was asked to step down as a group manager because he had a well-known history of harrassing students. Now, he is a WREB examiner. That fact alone has soured me on the WREB. I know that the NERB exam has its own problems, but at least, if you fail, you will know on the day of the board exam, essentially. The heartache of the WREB is that you may leave the exam feeling as if you passed, and feeling well, only to find out that in fact you failed, and the work that you thought was good was undercut for essentially no good reason. It seems as if things just keep getting worse and worse. You start to question yourself and your ability to do dentistry. The worst part of it is, you know that the individuals who graded you aim to make you feel that way. Oh well, I am having a bad day, but life will and must go on, after all. Have a good day, everyone.

Hi, I'm very sorry to hear this. I have experienced first hand how stupid it is to fail with no pink slip whatsoever. They graded very hard on endo and that makes me wonder why they need to do this?
Best of luck with the nerb. Life is not fair and this is the ideal example of that expression.
57% is a terrible passing rate

57% is really pretty low. I wonder what happened during that exam? Our school had 92% passing rate the week before and that is what I thought the average pass rate for this test was. Crazy.

Our school had 92% passing rate the week before and that is what I thought the average pass rate for this test was. Crazy.

Even on USC's website it states 92% pass rate. I'm happy to see that they didn't screw over AZDOH. I really think its a few "bad apples" that are causing these inconsistencies on this exam. If this was a standardized exam the pass/fail rate should be fairly consistent throughout the country. 92% at one site and 57% at another site is very speculative.

The nerb had an even fail rate, it was 30% throughout the country. However, the second time pass rate is 98%. Even though NERB fail rate is high, it is standard throughout.

DD

Hear this, the wreb second time pass rate is about 85%. That's the scary part. I don't think from their statistic it's 92% for first timer neither. I've got to read their article again. But my impression from reading their paper it is not high.

Oh, the conversion from the real perio/pros score to the score that you see is even funnier. It's not a 0.2 point/question like most people think. They have a bell curve like if you have 40Q correct, you get 8. something, depends on the test you take. It's the weirdest curve ever if you see it. My head almost burst when I heard how they converse the raw score to percentage and then to the 1-10 scale. I don't know who figured out this conversion, but it obviously does not work for candidates. Luckily, no dental school uses such kind of curve otherwise we would never even make it through the first year.

Here is another article which introduces this new scoring system:

http://www.wreb.org/currentpubs/newsletters/DS_Fall04.pdf

Here is the article from page 4:

Notice they say the overall pass rate is 94% but they factor in those people who take it after five times. First time pass rate is 86% second time pass rate is 76%. This is opposite for the NERB first time pass rate is 70% second time pass rate is 98%. This is very scary.

OK, so there is an obsession with the pass rate on WREB examinations. I've written about the fact that the pass rate only reflects the results obtained
by the small minority of candidates who were not prepared to take the examination. I've stated that the average and (even better for small groups) the
median score are much better indications of a group's performance and/or the difficulty of the examination. But, you still want to know about pass rates,
so here is a summary of dental candidate passing performance by examination attempt for the past seven years.

t o t a l p a s s f a i l p e r c e n t
Years 1997 through 2003 TO TA L C A N D I D AT E S 7391
TO TA L Candidates Pass/Fail 6946 445
% of Candidates That Pass the WREB 9 4 . 0 %
% of Candidates That Do Not Pass WREB 6 . 0 %
t o t a l p a s s f a i l % pass
All candidates on their first attempt 7391 6419 972 8 6 . 8 %
Candidates on their second attempt 619 463 156 7 4 . 8 %
Candidates on their third attempt 85 52 33 6 1 . 2 %
Candidates on their fourth attempt 16 11 5 6 8 . 8 %
Candidates on their fifth attempt 2 1 1 5 0 . 0 %
TO TA L EXAM A t t e m p t s 8 113
TO TA L EXAMS Passed / Failed 6946 1167
WREB Overall Examination Pass Rate 8 5 . 6 %

Note that the candidates who take the examination more than once have a lower percentage chance of passing than first time exam takers. The data
shows that the pass rate decreases with additional attempts and increases after the third attempt. We expect that this results from having a higher percentage
of poorly qualified candidates in the pool of candidates making additional attempts. Remediation required after the third attempt could cause the
fourth attempt candidates to become better qualified, resulting in a higher pass rate.
It might provide comfort for you to notice that, of the 972 candidates that failed on their first attempt, only 445 candidates did not succeed in passing
the exam by the end of 2003. Of the 445, there were 100 candidates from 2003 who failed on their first attempt and may not have had an opportunity
to make another attempt prior to the end of 2003.
You might also like to know that a representative median score for this seven-year period, where the minimum passing was 70, would be about 80.
You should feel confident that if you are qualified and have studied the candidate manual, your chances for success are excellent.

What the heck? I can't believe they have the audacity to fail this many people and expect them to retake this exam, fly out, pay for hotel, food, instruments, patients, etc.

I'm sorry you had to go through this.

DD

Alaa & periodocs, so sorry to hear how they failed half of the school in Minesota. What were they thinking, slaughter house?
You guys should talk to your dean about this. Something fishy is going on. If it's too abnormal like this, it's not students' fault. I don't remember any exam in dental school even has this high failure rate.
Please talk to your dean asap. All deans & wreb will have a meeting in Napa Valley next week. So, give your dean a head up of what is going on. Wreb doesn't give the result to the school until a month later. So, if you just got your result today, your school won't know about it until august officially.
Good luck with the NERB.
The guy whom I assisted & failed the WREB few years ago, he took the wreb in june, failed. Took the Nerb in August and passed. Few years later, he took California board & passed as well.

Hi all , i had taken wreb in june too in seattle and failed it. that was my seocnd time . I'm in cali now and still confused what to do ? i'm scared to do anything related to dentistry .I feel i cannot do anything ...but then i feel life goes on .I might have done something that THEY dint like and so here i am . I was thinking if i should go for wreb in USC in december or shd i go for cali boards ? any suggestions for me please !1
tha nks:(:(:(

Hi all , i had taken wreb in june too in seattle and failed it. that was my seocnd time . I'm in cali now and still confused what to do ? i'm scared to do anything related to dentistry .I feel i cannot do anything ...but then i feel life goes on .I might have done something that THEY dint like and so here i am . I was thinking if i should go for wreb in USC in december or shd i go for cali boards ? any suggestions for me please !1
tha nks:(:(:(

What comes first cali boards or WREB? I would take cali boards first. You need to push yourself away from WREB. Worst case scenario you take the USC one. HOwever, if you fail thrice then you gotta do remediation which is worse than taking the exam in the first place.

DD

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but have you considered a PG residency (GPR/AEGD) ?
= Guaranteed licensure, save money, make money, stress free, CV booster.

You might actually be saving time on the long run.

I know this is probably not what you want to hear, but have you considered a PG residency (GPR/AEGD) ?
= Guaranteed licensure, save money, make money, stress free, CV booster.

You might actually be saving time on the long run.

Once you take the WREB and fail it, you have to pass it regardless if you do gpr/aegd. However, if you don't take WREB at all and do a gpr you can get licensure in CA. They need to eliminate the exam and make 1 year mandatory and grant everyone a license.

dd

Hey Novice,
How did they fail you the second time? You should have taken the cali board last June in SF. I'm wondering if you take it california board now, does it count as the third attempt? Anybody know?

. My anterior endo looked EXACTLY like the textbook example in the WREB manual, and I still received only an 88%; my posterior tooth had a perfect access and the condensation was a bit short (1.5mm from apex), but that was it. The endo was good endo that I wouldn't be afraid to have done in my own mouth.

I understand what you are saying. My anterior endo was perfect, and I received 4s and 5s (the 4 should have been a 5!). My posterior tooth looked great, no voids, but was 1mm out the apex. That got me 2s for a score. I would have been happy to have that endo in my mouth as well.

I have a feeling the examiners didn't read my modifications (all of which were approved). They probably wondered why my pulpal floor had a round divet in it, and if they read my modification they would know that I took a round bur to it.

WREB is spending all the money you gave them at NAPA valley having a party. I hope they post pictures on their website I want to see how the examiners party.

I heard this years theme is Toga party. J/K

I understand what you are saying. My anterior endo was perfect, and I received 4s and 5s (the 4 should have been a 5!). My posterior tooth looked great, no voids, but was 1mm out the apex. That got me 2s for a score. I would have been happy to have that endo in my mouth as well.

I have a feeling the examiners didn't read my modifications (all of which were approved). They probably wondered why my pulpal floor had a round divet in it, and if they read my modification they would know that I took a round bur to it.

I cleared the overall wreb exam taken last june but scored a 9.75 in the endo section and need to take that section again. Needed just 0.25 to clear it as i would have been on 10 which would have been 55%. Was very surprised as i scored well in my posterior endo(4.40 out of 5 for condensation) but a 1.75 in my anterior condensation..still wondering what went wrong there. Am taking the section again a usc in august..only this time its a 75% they want which is a 13.5 of a possible 18.This is so freakin stressful.....if only i knew what went wrong with the anterior condensation..!!

GavinC ..what was your endo score?