Failed Step II CK - ERAS Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PCOM_Rocks

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed my step II CK, there were lots of reasons for it and some bad luck that life throws at you.

Anyhow I did well on STEP I and passed STEP II CS. Should I let them know about it on the exams taken section of the application? Also should I send the USMLE transcript to the programs? Maybe I can let them know about the failures after I have secured the interviews.

What are people's thoughts on this?

thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

I misread post and my opinion on what I think is your situation (Failed before submitting to ERAS and having USMLE 1 released already) is below.

Oh. Sorry. I read your post a little fast, and missed something. On the ERAS where you put pass/fail (I take it you haven't submitted prior to finding out you failed)... I really do think you have to put fail for step 2 if you know it. You should definitely contact someone in your dean's office or something to find out the official stance on this. I would think you would have to put fail. Anyways, with scores already in before submitting your application, I think when you release USMLE scores both would get passed on... so they would know.

However, what if you took step 2 again quickly and then passed. At this time, now you could put pass. But again, since I assume you haven't submitted... they will see the failing score anyways.

Just my guess, I strongly recommend talking to your dean's office.

If the ERAS application asks specifically if you failed (you would think I would remember I just filled the damn thing out) then I think it would be wrong to say No when you know the answer is yes and hope they don't notice. Thats not omiting, thats straight up fraud...how would you reply in an interview if they looked at the dates and said "didn't you know you failed when you filled this thing out?". If it doesn't ask then I see no reason you should volunteer it. Do whatever you can to make your app look good without lying.

I'm afraid you have no choice but to put "fail".
The application does ask for dates and status of your exam.
The only way you could not put it on your application is not indicating that you took step 2 at all.
BUT that would put you in even more trouble since your USMLE transcript will clearly indicate that you failed. And you need to submit your transcript at the time of application. Otherwise noone would even look at it as all programs require at least step 1 results. Unfortunately you can't submit just step 1 scores. The USMLE transcript will show all attempts at taking USMLE and all available scores. Which basically means if you know the score, so will the programs.
Just like getinthehole mentioned above - try to take Step 2 again as soon as possible and do really well. That's the only way you can improve your situation at this point. If PDs see that you scored high on second attempt they might believe that it was a really bad series of events that led to a failure the first time.
But that's just my personal opition.
Good luck, hope everyting works out well for you.

You need to be honest. As others have noted, the USMLE transcript shows ALL ATTEMPTS - which includes failures as well as passes.

Therefore, programs will know if you failed. They might not notice or ask about it, but you need a Plan B.

Taking it again, and passing, ASAP, is the best tactic - as I noted to you in my PM, if you haven't passed by ROL time, or preferably by interview time, programs may be loathe to rank you, fearing that you won't qualify for licensure.

I am in the same boat, failed ck once and retook it on Sept 1st.

My question is should I apply now or wait until the score is available?

Just took ck second time on Sept 1st, should I apply now or wait until score is available?