Failed step 2 CS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigdreamer92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys got my score back today, crushed that I have failed. I got borderline in ICE. I don't know what to do. I literally just want to kill myself. I am an USIMG, i don't know what to do right now. I am still shocked. I was nervous from the beginning. I don't know what to do, i'm in tears. I still haven't taken Step1 or CK. I wanted to joined EM, I guess that's all gone. Please suggest what I should do now.

Members don't see this ad.

What errors do you think you made? But I think its potentially always worth a score recheck if you're that close. I'm sorry this happened to you, its very frustrating.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey am sorry to hear that??
Am still waiting, so worried though..
share whatever u want to? Where did u take ur exam.
Will pray for u to re-collect urself, and carry on..
It is not the end of anything, study hard..and re-do it ASAP.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about the disappointing result. It's an absolute piece of **** test. Just take the next few days to collect yourself and reschedule it. ICE is relatively easier to fix than CIS. What resources did you use to prepare the first time through?

Wait, why did you take step 2 CS before step 1? Failing CS doesn't really matter, just make sure you pass second time around. However, do NOT fail step 1 or step 2 CK.

I don't read or post here too often anymore since starting residency. I also failed the CS due to a borderline ICE score. I felt terrible.

But remember that lots of people fail this test, the number of US grads failing has increased over the years from my understanding. It's no longer an "English proficiency" test.

On the bright side I, easily passed on my second attempt and matched to my second choice program. I'm glad it's behind me and looking back now, it really doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Good luck on the next attempt

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys got my score back today, crushed that I have failed. I got borderline in ICE. I don't know what to do. I literally just want to kill myself. I am an USIMG, i don't know what to do right now. I am still shocked. I was nervous from the beginning. I don't know what to do, i'm in tears. I still haven't taken Step1 or CK. I wanted to joined EM, I guess that's all gone. Please suggest what I should do now.

See this is the thing I don't get about USIMG, they go through 3rd and 4th year without properly preparing themselves. Why would you take the CS before Step 1? I myself took CS before CK but even that was kind of pushing it. CS is an extremely objective exam, you are literally graded on not whether or not you are smart enough to diagnose diseases, but rather having the interpersonal skills necessary to try and communicate that with the patient. I believe it is disingenuous for schools to subject their students to go through clinical rotations without passing step 1..I mean how can you gage your educational strength without the help of a standardized exam.

My advice is that you really need to take the time to study for the step 1 pass it with flying colors, study for ck right after pass that and then take the CS. Residency programs are becoming more and more competitive as the years go on. Interview season for me wasn't that good for me, and that is coming from someone who has passed step 1 with a 245 and a CK of 220 and passing CS the first time. every interview that I went on I was asked about the difference of performance between step 1 and 2 and it was only 25 point difference! and trust me I had a lot of obstacles in my way while studying for step 2. I was working a weekend job and driving uber just to pay for rent and tuition because my school doesnt have loans (carib img). My wife also delivered very close to the time that I had my exam. I'm sorry if I sound negative but you have to be a realist when it comes to money and your career.

What errors do you think you made? But I think its potentially always worth a score recheck if you're that close. I'm sorry this happened to you, its very frustrating.
Tbh I don't think I made any glaring errors, except for forgetting to wash my hands for one pt. Even then I apologized and washed my hands. And I bombed the diagnoses one 1 case for sure. Apart from that I don'tknow what I did wrong. I missed passing by just 1 star on ICE. I guesss it really does come down to luck because people who did much worse than me ended up passing. So idk

Sorry about the disappointing result. It's an absolute piece of **** test. Just take the next few days to collect yourself and reschedule it. ICE is relatively easier to fix than CIS. What resources did you use to prepare the first time through?
I read FA and practised typing the note online. It is definitely more than enough!

See this is the thing I don't get about USIMG, they go through 3rd and 4th year without properly preparing themselves. Why would you take the CS before Step 1? I myself took CS before CK but even that was kind of pushing it. CS is an extremely objective exam, you are literally graded on not whether or not you are smart enough to diagnose diseases, but rather having the interpersonal skills necessary to try and communicate that with the patient. I believe it is disingenuous for schools to subject their students to go through clinical rotations without passing step 1..I mean how can you gage your educational strength without the help of a standardized exam.

My advice is that you really need to take the time to study for the step 1 pass it with flying colors, study for ck right after pass that and then take the CS. Residency programs are becoming more and more competitive as the years go on. Interview season for me wasn't that good for me, and that is coming from someone who has passed step 1 with a 245 and a CK of 220 and passing CS the first time. every interview that I went on I was asked about the difference of performance between step 1 and 2 and it was only 25 point difference! and trust me I had a lot of obstacles in my way while studying for step 2. I was working a weekend job and driving uber just to pay for rent and tuition because my school doesnt have loans (carib img). My wife also delivered very close to the time that I had my exam. I'm sorry if I sound negative but you have to be a realist when it comes to money and your career.

Um I was pretty well prepared. I studied for a month, and read FA back to back twice. I missed passing on ICE by 1 star. I got higher performance on both SEP & CIS. So idk what to tell you. I know I made a couple of mistakes, there is no denying that, but there a many people who have done significantly worse and ended up passing, and there are some who did really well and still ended up failing. I don't mean to sound rude but a 25 point drop is a huge deal, just like failing CS is. We all have our reasons for poor performances. No one sets out to intentionally fail or do poorly. But thanks for the advice I really appreciate it!!

Tbh I don't think I made any glaring errors, except for forgetting to wash my hands for one pt. Even then I apologized and washed my hands. And I bombed the diagnoses one 1 case for sure. Apart from that I don'tknow what I did wrong. I missed passing by just 1 star on ICE. I guesss it really does come down to luck because people who did much worse than me ended up passing. So idk
Can you tell us more please, my score is going to be nxt week, am dying right now..
- which center u had ur exam in?
- how focused were ur examination and history??
- how well did u write ur pt. Note, like number of diagnosis, supports.. etc??

* thank u, hope u nail it next time.

Agree that it's essentially luck (excepting very very poor performance of course). I also didn't think I had any glaring errors. On one case, I ran out of time on the note before I could fill in work up. I sure don't think that warrants a failing score.

I guess I must have just missed so many tiny things on each case that it added up to only borderline? No idea. I felt I was very respectful to the patients, had very sound differentials, and at least semi logical and organized notes with decent work up tests. That should be enough to get a pass on this thing. Also, prior to my second attempt, I didn't do anything but practice notes a bit more. No work with standardized patients, no practice with a partner, nothing. If that's not an indication of how inadequate this test is, then I don't know what is.

Can you tell us more please, my score is going to be nxt week, am dying right now..
- which center u had ur exam in?
- how focused were ur examination and history??
- how well did u write ur pt. Note, like number of diagnosis, supports.. etc??

* thank u, hope u nail it next time.
Thanks!! I went to Houston. But imo test center doesn't really matter. I was pretty focused took good history. Wrote good diagnoses, For some I put 2 diagnoses, most had 3. But many of them don't really have any exam findings so I left it blank. First aid was more than enough, for the exam. I wrote a detailed patient note, didn't really miss anything that I can think of.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree that it's essentially luck (excepting very very poor performance of course). I also didn't think I had any glaring errors. On one case, I ran out of time on the note before I could fill in work up. I sure don't think that warrants a failing score.

I guess I must have just missed so many tiny things on each case that it added up to only borderline? No idea. I felt I was very respectful to the patients, had very sound differentials, and at least semi logical and organized notes with decent work up tests. That should be enough to get a pass on this thing. Also, prior to my second attempt, I didn't do anything but practice notes a bit more. No work with standardized patients, no practice with a partner, nothing. If that's not an indication of how inadequate this test is, then I don't know what is.
I agree, it stings even worse because I missed passing by just one star. I hope I can do well in Step 1 & CK, so this doesn't end up affecting me too much.

sorry if this hurts but stop taking CS, there is a reason these exams are in order.

Step 1 first, this will help you have a strong foundation and make studying for step 2 easier.
take CK next this will show that you can dx and rx fast hence make studying for CS so much easier
then go kill CS in 2 weeks after CK.

Taking CS first is just making your life so much harder for no reason.

Reactions: 5 users
Hello! I failed ICE on step 2 cs 3x. I do not now what else to do. Please help. I do not know where to start or how to explain. I did well on other sections of step 2 cs.

Hello! I failed ICE on step 2 cs 3x. I do not now what else to do. Please help. I do not know where to start or how to explain. I did well on other sections of step 2 cs.
In your case, first you should google "state medical license requirements". There are many US states that will not grant a license to somebody who failed one exam 3 times. Determine what your goals are, and if you can still achieve them. You want a website that lists requirements for each state, divided into AMG requirements and IMG requirements, because they are different.

In your case, first you should google "state medical license requirements". There are many US states that will not grant a license to somebody who failed one exam 3 times. Determine what your goals are, and if you can still achieve them. You want a website that lists requirements for each state, divided into AMG requirements and IMG requirements, because they are different.
Thanks sazerac! I still need to take step 2 cs and pass it. I am going to look into taking prep course. I cannot stop now and there is no turning back. Any rec'd, please help!

I recently failed ICE even though I had one star over borderline. Has this ever happened to anyone???????

I don't read or post here too often anymore since starting residency. I also failed the CS due to a borderline ICE score. I felt terrible.

But remember that lots of people fail this test, the number of US grads failing has increased over the years from my understanding. It's no longer an "English proficiency" test.

On the bright side I, easily passed on my second attempt and matched to my second choice program. I'm glad it's behind me and looking back now, it really doesn't seem like such a big deal.

Good luck on the next attempt

United States Medical Licensing Examination | Performance Data
It has been 96-98% consistently

I agree that failing once is not a big deal. It seems like PDs understand that test is just money maker for the NBME

Last edited:
United States Medical Licensing Examination | Performance Data
It has been 96-98% consistently

I agree that failing once is not a big deal. It seems like PDs understand that test is just money maker for the NBME
They did change the pass cutoff somewhat recently though (Sept 10, 2017): United States Medical Licensing Examination | Announcements.

I don't think there are any data out on how this has affected the pass rate, but in the announcement they said that if recent test-takers had been held to the new standard then 3% more US students would have failed and 8% more IMGs.

In my mind, it's just another douchey money-making scheme. Perhaps it's their response to the petitions that were circulating to discontinue the test based on its lack of achieving any meaningful information about a residency applicant's abilities.

Basically 3 fails rules out Alaska, Arkansas, Georgia, Michigan, Indiana, Minnesota, and one or two more.