Failed Step 2 CS twice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camelliajaponica

Reaction score
I have taken this exam three times now. And I am awaiting my exam score for January 30th. I have no clue what this exam wants from me. I barely know what I've done wrong each time besides that I have trouble with the ICE portion. I've worked on my notes, physical exam, and my data gathering abilities. I can pass Step 1 and CK on the first go but not this?!

I am just sending out all these hopeful thoughts that I passed this time. I wrote down the wrong name and used the wrong name for that patient during this last exam. I don't think I finished about 2 - 3 notes in a way that was satisfactory, probably more. I feel like I repeated questions that the SPs answered already. I was so horribly nervous I could barely move or breathe properly. I don't remember if I asked leading questions. How many of my questions were open ended? I wasn't able to check heart and lungs on all the patients. I ran out of time with two of them. I didn't type up all the information. I looked down at my clipboard too much. I just...I am so worried I failed again. And Match day is approaching, and I don't know what my school will do cause I'm an US IMG, and I don't know what to say to my parents because I haven't spoken a word about this to them. I mean...I have contingency plans but...really this is so so much for me right now. I will retake it but...this is a lot.

Here's my whining portion: I just want to be a doctor. I just want to help people. Why does this exam say that I can't? I have worked with and caught things that my preceptors haven't. I have stayed late hours and poured over books just like everyone else. I do everything I can to make sure patients are comfortable, understood, and treated with (what little I have of knowledge/experience as a med student) evidence based techniques/medicine to help them achieve better health outcomes. Like...lol...I am just wildly angered/frustrated/anxious/maddened by this whole process.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hey, sorry you're going thru this. I haven't gotten my score back yet but I'm terrified I've failed. The exam has become harder than it used to be so we're all in the same boat.

If its ICE you keep failing, there must be something you aren't thinking about in the ddx or data gathering portion. Are you taking a full history? Like, past medical, past surgical, meds, hospitalizations, family hx, social hx? You should be able to ask the typical questions about the chief complaint in addition to a new patient intake. I've admittedly not done accurate physical exam maneuvers and have run out of time but also finished early, so I really don't know how I did. But I definitely looked down too much at my clipboard because I was trying to write detailed notes....

Hey, sorry you're going thru this. I haven't gotten my score back yet but I'm terrified I've failed. The exam has become harder than it used to be so we're all in the same boat.

If its ICE you keep failing, there must be something you aren't thinking about in the ddx or data gathering portion. Are you taking a full history? Like, past medical, past surgical, meds, hospitalizations, family hx, social hx? You should be able to ask the typical questions about the chief complaint in addition to a new patient intake. I've admittedly not done accurate physical exam maneuvers and have run out of time but also finished early, so I really don't know how I did. But I definitely looked down too much at my clipboard because I was trying to write detailed notes....

Thank you for the kind words, truly. I am constantly thinking over everything I have done wrong. To your point about taking down a history, I thought I was taking a full history but apparently that may not be the case as evidenced of the last two times. One major thing I did change this last time that I was not aware of before was that I needed to explain what I was doing when I was performing my physical exam. So if I pass the ICE portion this time I will know that that was my problem. I hope, I sincerely hope and wish, that I passed this time. I am sure you did better than you realized. Don't sell yourself short my friend. I am sending all the positive vibes I can muster out in the universe for all of us.

Last edited:
What a ridiculous exam. If you have been monitored by doctors and you can present patients on rounds and in the clinic, this is absolutely unnecessary and stupid exam.
Hope you passed this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Few more days until we get our scores. Thanks for your positive vibes. The odds are in our favor!

This is my 2nd attempt.. i asked 6 sp to repeat single single word. I have nightmares everyday thinking i might fail in SEP

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

This is my 2nd attempt.. i asked 6 sp to repeat single single word. I have nightmares everyday thinking i might fail in SEP

I definitely understand. Hopefully none of us have to worry and we passed this time without any issues. I'm sending all the positivity out into the universe I can for us all.

You're brave! Your frustration is valid, this test is trash. I hope you passed and can move on. So many people walk in without a thought and pass, and I don't think it's because there's some big secret you're missing.

If its ICE you keep failing, there must be something you aren't thinking about in the ddx or data gathering portion. Are you taking a full history?
So one caveat: the data gathering only from the physical exam counts towards your ICE grade. The rest if the patient note. The history taking seems to be in the CIS now. Maybe, since the history is written in the patient note, that's why it's not part of ICE.

I don't know if that's how it always was but that's how it is now. The wrong physical exam can cost you quite a few points, but can be made up in the patient note.

MIRACLES DO HAPPEN!!!! I PASSED!!!!! NEVER AGAIN WILL I HAVE TO TAKE THIS EXAM!!! I hope every has a WONDERFUL day. Absolutely glorious.

If you have any questions about what I did or need any encouragement, please message me! We will all achieve our goals to become doctors in time. I know it.

Reactions: 7 users
congrats! i think i did too? don't trust the fscv thing completely though. (tho i put in my info and it all seems accurate and unique to me so im probably just being very neurotic and paranoid. which ya know this process can do that to ya)

^ look in the other active CS thread and there's an explanation for how to check with the 'fcvs trick.' basically the step 3 administering people have this info a day or two earlier than the nbme provides it. seems to work for AMGs at least

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats! i think i did too? don't trust the fscv thing completely though. (tho i put in my info and it all seems accurate and unique to me so im probably just being very neurotic and paranoid. which ya know this process can do that to ya)

I got my report around 830am EST! But I am an IMG. I believe the FCVS/FMSB trick works for today! Good luck - I am sending all the positivity I can for you.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats everyone. really inspiring reviews. Did anyone prefer a particular testing centre and if so why? My preference is Atlanta but most of the dates are gone for March-April and available in Philadelphia. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Congrats everyone. really inspiring reviews. Did anyone prefer a particular testing centre and if so why? My preference is Atlanta but most of the dates are gone for March-April and available in Philadelphia. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
I am Puerto Rican so for us and Latinos overall Houston is the best choice. They tend to be friendlier with our spoken english proficiency.

And just to update everyone...I just found out I matched as well! It is possible. We can do anything together. I believe in you all and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.

Reactions: 2 users
And just to update everyone...I just found out I matched as well! It is possible. We can do anything together. I believe in you all and let me know if there is anything I can do to help you.
Thank you for the update! What did you match into?

Family Medicine!
could you please share your experience with ICE, I am having the same problem here, this second time of my exam, I could not finish writing PE. Closed all, did all well besides 1 case, however, I could not complete typing notes, and I sacrificed PE box.

could you please share your experience with ICE, I am having the same problem here, this second time of my exam, I could not finish writing PE. Closed all, did all well besides 1 case, however, I could not complete typing notes, and I sacrificed PE box.

Did you get a reply? Did you pass even without finishing the P/E box?