failed step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1134299

Passed level 1 but failed step 1. Will I match into fm, IM, pm&r, psych, or neuro if I can pass level 2? No other red flags on my record

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily as a DO i dont believe you have to report step attempts at all if you don’t want to. You’ll match those specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
Luckily as a DO i dont believe you have to report step attempts at all if you don’t want to. You’ll match those specialties.
Faculty at my school said I would have to report all scores including steps

Members don't see this ad :)
Your faculty are wrong. Although it’s bad to withhold from a moral standpoint, but residency programs won’t find out. What score range was your comlex? With that we can advise you how to move forward. I think you should withhold and not take step 2. If you take step 2 you will have to submit the failure. If you wash your hands of the usmle then you don’t need to report the failure

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't have a score range for comlex as I didn't really take practice tests towards the end of my prep. Mainly just step prep but I'm assuming it was anywhere from 450-500. If I was to report it tho, would I not match?

Is level 1 p/f now too?

Don’t report step.

Pm&r might be a stretch. Anecdotally, the comlex-only applicants I’m familiar with struggled to get interviews. Neuro is limited imo now, but still doable. Others are fine.

Ah, I didn’t know comlex was pass/fail yet. Ya worry about comlex level 2. If you crush level 2 then things can still work. Of your list, neuro was the only one that really wanted usmle when I was matching per my classmates. None of my PMR classmates took usmle and did fine. Things may have changed since then though.

I think your shot is entirely dependent on your Level 2. You can report that you passed Level 1 --> Do well on Level 2 --> Blast apps all across the country and don't be picky about where you get interviews since you only have Levels. Matching the specialty you want > the location you want.

It’s my understanding with the merger you must report both
I don't believe so. I have heard many DO people saying otherwise. Although I 100% think it should be required to report them as it's essentially a no harm no foul situation for doing poorly on a test that all MD students have to report.

I don't believe so. I have heard many DO people saying otherwise. Although I 100% think it should be required to report them as it's essentially a no harm no foul situation for doing poorly on a test that all MD students have to report.
You don't have to report the USMLE, however there are aspects that students should be aware of. If a PD filters applicants via the checkbox "USMLE Pass?" then any student who failed is obviously screened out, but also students who did not take the exam at all are screened out, so either way you would not get past that filter. This is something that has been brought to AACOM to do what they can to get that question changed to "Step 1/Level 1 pass?" so if a student passed one OR the other, they would not get filtered through. That is a huge issue we are trying hard to get corrected for you!

Next is another slight difference in reports. If a DO student takes Step and doesn't report it, the PD will see something similar to "Not released" vs if a student has not taken that exam the report is something to the effect of "unavailable or not applicable". So program directors will understand it was taken but not released, so they assume the worst, that you failed. With those two things in mind, decide accordingly how to proceed.

You don't have to report the USMLE, however there are aspects that students should be aware of. If a PD filters applicants via the checkbox "USMLE Pass?" then any student who failed is obviously screened out, but also students who did not take the exam at all are screened out, so either way you would not get past that filter. This is something that has been brought to AACOM to do what they can to get that question changed to "Step 1/Level 1 pass?" so if a student passed one OR the other, they would not get filtered through. That is a huge issue we are trying hard to get corrected for you!

Next is another slight difference in reports. If a DO student takes Step and doesn't report it, the PD will see something similar to "Not released" vs if a student has not taken that exam the report is something to the effect of "unavailable or not applicable". So program directors will understand it was taken but not released, so they assume the worst, that you failed. With those two things in mind, decide accordingly how to proceed.
The first paragraph is correct, If I create a filter for S1=Pass, people who didn't take/release a USMLE transcript will be filtered out. However, presumably there are programs out there that want DO's, and those that don't. The one's that do will create a filter that says (Step 1 = Pass) OR (Level 1 = Pass) and then all the DO's will be in the filter. Those programs that don't want DO's (a stupid decision in my view) won't be moved by trying to trick them with a new filter question setting. Also, what happens if someone passes Level 1 but fails step 1 and releases their transcript? Does Step 1 / Level 1 pass? filter that person in or out?

The second paragraph is incorrect. Programs cannot tell the difference between "didn't take" and "didn't release". Looks exactly the same.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to avoid problems, I will report my failed step 1. I will not retake it. I am just concerned as to whether I can match anything with a fail on my record without a retake.

If you aren’t retaking then do not release

Reactions: 1 users
Just to avoid problems, I will report my failed step 1. I will not retake it. I am just concerned as to whether I can match anything with a fail on my record without a retake.
You're putting yourself in the worst position possible by reporting a failure that you don't have to report in the first place. BTW You'll be Ok applying Neuro with only COMLEX as long you do well enough on Level 2.

You're putting yourself in the worst position possible by reporting a failure that you don't have to report in the first place. BTW You'll be Ok applying Neuro with only COMLEX as long you do well enough on Level 2.
is there any solid evidence that I don't have to report? The worst position I would be putting myself in would be a match violation.

is there any solid evidence that I don't have to report? The worst position I would be putting myself in would be a match violation.
I mean, a former program director in this thread said you don't have to report. If you don't believe him and choose to report anyways, that's your prerogative, but you would be shooting yourself in the foot for no reason.

I mean, a former program director in this thread said you don't have to report. If you don't believe him and choose to report anyways, that's your prerogative, but you would be shooting yourself in the foot for no reason.
I totally understand that it won't be ideal. I may even retake step 1 towards the end of the year if I feel prepared. Atm I'm just somewhat burnt out and would like to hear stories of those who failed step 1, didn't retake it, and still ended up matching. Just seems like no one has done it that way considering everyone is saying don't report but my school says I have to. Tough spot to be in.

Well the evidence is in fact, me. Although a slightly different scenario.

End of second year
Took Step 1 passed on first try with 204
Level 1 pass on first try with 425

September 2021
Applied Neuro, released both Step 1 and Level 1 while working on taking Step 2 and Level 2.

October 2021
Failed Step 2 and Level 2 on first try.

December 2021
Retook Level 2

January 2022
Passed Level 2 on second attempt
Didn't re-release my USMLE transcript due to my failed Step 2 (so only my step 1 was released to programs).

Close to rank list due date, one program of my 13 Neuro interviews asked about it, and I straight up told them I didn't pass it.

March 2022
Still matched Neuro at a great community program.
Thanks for the reassurance. On your interviews, was your level 2 retake brought up?

Thanks for the reassurance. On your interviews, was your level 2 retake brought up?
Although, I didn't release my Level 2 failure right after I got it in October. I was upfront about it in all my interviews. I informed every single PD that I received an unsatisfactory score, that I was working towards a retake, and that I would update them before the rank list due date.

The whole process is a numbers game. You want to have enough interviews to assure that you will match. If you receive an interview, there is a 99.99% chance that the program will rank you somewhere on their list, and you can only get interviews if you go in putting your best foot forward. Any negatives about your application can be addressed during the interview itself if needed. That's why I wouldn't advise releasing your failure (which doesn't even need to be released) before any program get the chance to really know you because you're just giving them another reason not to interview you from the get go.

Edit: Any programs that care about the USMLE wouldn't invite you to interview with a failure on Step 1 anyway. So releasing it can only hurt you.

Last edited:
You're asking the wrong question.

It is absolutely not a match violation to not release your USMLE. The NRMP could care less what you release to whom. If you don't even apply to a program at all and rank it, and they rank you for some unknown reason, and you match there, then you both have a binding commitment despite the fact that you never applied.

The right question you really want the answer to is: Are DO students required by ERAS to release a USMLE transcript if they have taken it? You're welcome to review the MyERAS Student guide for USMLE scores, and you'll see no mention that it's a requirement. You will see this:

1658795918946.png

This is probably true, but "many" isn't "all". Programs can choose to do as they please.

If you're really worried about this, contact ERAS and see what they say. But there is nothing in the guide that says it's required.

You're asking the wrong question.

It is absolutely not a match violation to not release your USMLE. The NRMP could care less what you release to whom. If you don't even apply to a program at all and rank it, and they rank you for some unknown reason, and you match there, then you both have a binding commitment despite the fact that you never applied.

The right question you really want the answer to is: Are DO students required by ERAS to release a USMLE transcript if they have taken it? You're welcome to review the MyERAS Student guide for USMLE scores, and you'll see no mention that it's a requirement. You will see this:

View attachment 357633

This is probably true, but "many" isn't "all". Programs can choose to do as they please.

If you're really worried about this, contact ERAS and see what they say. But there is nothing in the guide that says it's required.
thank you for the help. Contacted ERAS and was told reporting STEP scores is optional

Reactions: 1 users
No need to report. When i applied to fellowship, i didn't report step because i didn't want to pay the extra $80 even though i passed with a better score than level