Failed Step 1 Now Need To Decide My Future: HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What should I do?

• Transfer to a different Caribbean School?

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Transfer to a Polish medical school?

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Quit medicine all together and just look into opening a business

Votes: 26 40.6%
  • Attempt to utilize years of medical knowledge in a different career path

Votes: 32 50.0%

• Total voters

HelpMeFailedStep1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
.... content updated thread

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That's an interesting story...

giphy.gif

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This sounds like a terrible situation to be in and I hope it works out for you. What do you think went wrong when taking the real thing and how did you feel coming out of the test?

Reactions: 1 user
There are a few 3-year direct entry NP programs in the country. That's your best option IMO.

I feel ya man. I failed level 2 (DO student) and passed the retake. It can be done. Was an awful time period though. Waiting on their decision can be hard. Just make a list of viable alternatives if they don't allow you to retake, so you can be prepared for the worst. Best of luck with whatever you do, I hope it works out for you.

Dang man this sounds like a lot i reading cause you sound like you have a family spouse and kids. How about physician assistant since all you have to do is take the gre and already have clinical experience. Do your research on that because obviously you traveling etc is messing with your family move back to the states and become a PA it's a short length of time so you can hurry up and start working use NHSC scholarship to pay back loans and pay for school as a PA student

Dang man this sounds like a lot i reading cause you sound like you have a family spouse and kids. How about physician assistant since all you have to do is take the gre and already have clinical experience. Do your research on that because obviously you traveling etc is messing with your family move back to the states and become a PA it's a short length of time so you can hurry up and start working use NHSC scholarship to pay back loans and pay for school as a PA student

I've thought about going to PA school but all my friends that are PA strongly recommended AGAINST it

They all said they wish they coasted thru Nursing and DNP to basically make the same money as a PA

Now PA school is 2 years but these accelerated DNP programs are 3 years, I am sure both are difficult but I would think PA would still be harder

Im pretty sure it has to be in terms of difficulty MD/Veterinarian>Dentistry/PA/Pharmacy>Nursing

I've thought about going to PA school but all my friends that are PA strongly recommended AGAINST it

They all said they wish they coasted thru Nursing and DNP to basically make the same money as a PA

Now PA school is 2 years but these accelerated DNP programs are 3 years, I am sure both are difficult but I would think PA would still be harder

Im pretty sure it has to be in terms of difficulty MD/Veterinarian>Dentistry/PA/Pharmacy>Nursing
The military is also a good option you can join and a officer still at 32 and use your healthcare skills still and get your loans paid off. Yes you should weigh you options but nursing school isn't easy either what do you truly want to do Forget the loans they have good repayment options regardless you should do what truly makes you happy

I thought those direct entry programs require a nursing bachelors degree?
You can also consider finish your MD... There are a couple of states that passed new laws allowing MD who don't match to practice as Assistant Physician (AP), but the implementation of these laws has been rocky so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
NP will require a BSN.
I don't know if PA schools will even take you, but I think that's something to investigate (just reach out to some lower level PA programs)

Definitely don't switch schools again - You'll only end up in more debt without any better results. If someone studied for Step 1 for 3 years and didn't pass, I'd guess one of two things: 1) Either they're a very, very anxious person, which is extremely difficult to overcome in a short time frame, or 2) They're not cut out for it.

Now I know you were doign well on practice tests so maybe you're #1. Regardless, you need to decide whether it's even worth graduating, in terms of job prospects after MD, and see if it's not worth jumping ship all together. If your current school doesn't accept you back, I would strongly consider switching to a different field. I don't see success in your future if you keep bouncing around from medical school to medical school.

I will ask, only for curiosity's sake - when you failed Path in 2008 at your original school, what lead you to drop out? I'm sure there's a remediation aspect. Regardless, the answer to that won't help your situation now, so if you'd rather not talk about it, so be it.

I'm not sure what you should do, but I am 100% sure the dumbest thing you could do would be to go to another school when you can stay at your current one and still retake step. Why would changing schools help, especially to go to a worse/shadier school??

I'm not sure that you should stay; I think a residency is going to be a hard spot to get. And I'm not sure what high school jobs making 90k you plan on getting because of an MD.

Reactions: 2 users
Forget the loans they have good repayment options regardless you should do what truly makes you happy

They only do loan replacement for healthcare professionals who are licensed and become officers (many other requirements and paperwork involved). There are a few fields where this is possible, but not a medical student in poor standing. The repayment maximum is somewhere around $120-150k, so it won't necessarily pay off everything.

A possibility is becoming a Physician Assistant which requires 500+ hours of hands-on patient care, grades good enough (or almost good enough) to get into medical school, and a strong GRE. PA schools are highly competitive and with the problems the OP is having, there is no guarantee here either. Might be worth a shot, though, depending on other factors the OP didn't discuss.

NP does require a nursing degree (BSN) before matriculation.

There are quite a few SDN threads on Caribbean grads who don't get a residency and what other options they have for jobs. I suggest the OP read those, because the chances of getting a residency as a Caribbean grad aren't great to begin with, and failing Step 1 significantly reduced your chances further.

They only do loan replacement for healthcare professionals who are licensed and become officers (many other requirements and paperwork involved). There are a few fields where this is possible, but not a medical student in poor standing. The repayment maximum is somewhere around $120-150k, so it won't necessarily pay off everything.

A possibility is becoming a Physician Assistant which requires 500+ hours of hands-on patient care, grades good enough (or almost good enough) to get into medical school, and a strong GRE. PA schools are highly competitive and with the problems the OP is having, there is no guarantee here either. Might be worth a shot, though, depending on other factors the OP didn't discuss.

NP does require a nursing degree (BSN) before matriculation.

There are quite a few SDN threads on Caribbean grads who don't get a residency and what other options they have for jobs. I suggest the OP read those, because the chances of getting a residency as a Caribbean grad aren't great to begin with, and failing Step 1 significantly reduced your chances further.
thanks for correcting me didn't know the armed forces had a limit on loan repayment but still think it's great alternative given that you meet the physical requirements the armed forces usually hiring you'll make enough to support you family

Ill keep my story short

Started out at a US medical school in 2008

Passed all classes except Pathology which led me to withdraw in 2011

Began at a mid tier Caribbean medical school in 2012 - passed pathology then began studying from 2013 to 2016 for Step 1 due to my huge lapse of time from 2008-2010 during which i took all the basic courses of med school

I was averaging 240-250s on my practice tests

I paid for and completed (in the 230-240 range) around 5-6 NBME

I attended Kaplan, listened to the videos, and took notes

I read and understood First Aid and completed Kaplan, UWorld (2x), USMLE Rx, and TrueLearn QBanks

I took the real test in August and scored a 186, basically 6 pts from passing

Now my options are as follows:
- return back to the island to redo courses in order to sit for step 1 again
- transfer to another Caribbean school (way more shady and bad reputation) - still have to take classes on the island most likely but also may just let me sit for step 1 after some clinical courses in the US
- transfer to a Polish medical school in hopes they will let me take my Step 1 again

I understand fully that my chances to land a residency are pretty much 0% but with an MD, even from a Caribbean school, I should be able to land a decent teaching job at a high school for around 80-90k or another type of job that requires an MD but not a state license

I have explored other avenues of medicine and due to my age (32) none really interest me on top of the fact that many of these programs are saying my dual honors (university and biology) degree from 2008 is no longer valid due to passing of time
- NP (2-3 years of nursing school and then 3-4 years to become an NP)
- Anesthesiology Assistant (wants me to retake MCAT - wont accept my USMLE - and wants me to take undergrad courses
- Pharmacy - only a few options (Vegas/Utah) again ****ty schools unless i take more undergrad courses (think orgo 1 and basic biochem) and take the PCAT if I want to apply
- Vet/Dentist/Lawyer - too difficult, too much work, and not very interested in doing that to begin with

Now I am sitting with 12-15 years of knowledge of medicine with really nothing to do with it and honestly no idea how to proceed further. I have been waiting over 3 months for the decision to retake Step 1 from my Caribbean school. Even after months of emailing, calling and leaving voice mails, a decision has not been reached. It is literally driving me mad and tearing my family apart. Any and all suggestions would be great.

"Mid tier Caribbean school"

The Caribbean schools have tiers now?

Reactions: 4 users
thanks for correcting me didn't know the armed forces had a limit on loan repayment but still think it's great alternative given that you meet the physical requirements the armed forces usually hiring you'll make enough to support you family

I do not recommend joining any of the armed forces solely for the money. Also, regardless of loan repayment limits, you actually have to be practicing in a field that the branch of service needs (e.g. GS, EM, FM, etc). Another poster pointed this out. Someone who has debt from school that didn't result in a degree/licensure will not be eligible for loan repayments, unless you get a hefty signing bonus that you can put towards the loan(s).

Do not transfer schools. I'm surprised after one failed attempt they aren't having you re-take it "automatically".

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Ill keep my story short

Began at a mid tier Caribbean medical school in 2012 - passed pathology then began studying from 2013 to 2016 for Step 1 due to my huge lapse of time from 2008-2010 during which i took all the basic courses of med school

I read and understood First Aid and completed Kaplan, UWorld (2x), USMLE Rx, and TrueLearn QBanks

- transfer to another Caribbean school (way more shady and bad reputation) - still have to take classes on the island most likely but also may just let me sit for step 1 after some clinical courses in the US
- transfer to a Polish medical school in hopes they will let me take my Step 1 again

I understand fully that my chances to land a residency are pretty much 0% but with an MD, even from a Caribbean school, I should be able to land a decent teaching job at a high school for around 80-90k or another type of job that requires an MD but not a state license

I have explored other avenues of medicine and due to my age (32) none really interest me on top of the fact that many of these programs are saying my dual honors (university and biology) degree from 2008 is no longer valid due to passing of time
- Anesthesiology Assistant (wants me to retake MCAT - wont accept my USMLE - and wants me to take undergrad courses
- Pharmacy - only a few options (Vegas/Utah) again ****ty schools unless i take more undergrad courses (think orgo 1 and basic biochem) and take the PCAT if I want to apply
- Vet/Dentist/Lawyer - too difficult, too much work, and not very interested in doing that to begin with

Now I am sitting with 12-15 years of knowledge of medicine with really nothing to do with it and honestly no idea how to proceed further. I have been waiting over 3 months for the decision to retake Step 1 from my Caribbean school. Even after months of emailing, calling and leaving voice mails, a decision has not been reached. It is literally driving me mad and tearing my family apart. Any and all suggestions would be great.
1) How did you get to 12-15 years of knowledge in medicine if you're just hitting step one? Even with the initial failure at the US school that's doesn't add up to 15 years. Do you have a different healthcare degree? Healthcare experience?

2) You are using some language ('dual honors') that doesn't make sense in the US. Was your undergraduate education in another country? Are you a US citizen?

3) You mention family: do you have a spouse? Kids?

I vote C or D. You don't have 15 years of medical knowledge. Unfortunately you didn't show that you have the 2 years' worth to pass Step 1. I vote other medical job or start a business because after 2 med schools, I don't think you have shown that you have what it takes to be a physician. Sorry.

Ill keep my story short

Maybe a PA program? http://www.physicianassistantforum....med-school-will-a-pa-program-even-look-at-me/

Honestly, I wouldn't want to do more $chool and accumulating more debt. If you really love medicine though, look into PA stuff!

You think NP programs are easier than PA? I'm just going out on a limb here and assume an NP is better trained with 4 years of nursing school + 2-3 years for the masters of medical training vs a PA that may have worked as a nursing aid for 6 months to get the clinical hours. That's why nurse practitioners have much more autonomy that PAs.

But that's not the point. The point is don't transfer to another medical school. That's stupid.
Also, where in the world do you think you can teach high school and make 70-80k? You must be international because you can't make that in the US. Anywhere.
Also, your degree is expiring? Degrees don't work that way.

You're either totally confused on how everything works, an international student, or a really unfun troll.

Last edited:
You think NP programs are easier than PA? I'm just going out on a limb here and assume an NP is better trained with 4 years of nursing school + 2-3 years for the masters of medical training vs a PA that may have worked as a nursing aid for 6 months to get the clinical hours. That's why nurse practitioners have much more autonomy that PAs.

The training is about equivalent.

An NP has an undergraduate degree and a 2 year masters degree. They have no required clinical hours to apply for the NP masters, but several hundred hours are integrated into the degree itself

A PA has an undergraduate degree and a 2 year masters degree. There are no clinical hours integrated into the undergraduate degree but they are required to pick up a few hundred hours on their own to apply

NPs do not, in general, have more or less autonomy than PAs. Culturally many physicians find PAs to be better employees than NPs, because nursing culture is so inherently critical of physicians, but legally NPs and PAs usually (though not always) have the same rights when it comes to autonomy in a given state.

Not that I would recommend any of the above for the OP.

Your only hope is Nurse->NP unless the school lets you try again, which they may not as you're record suggests a pattern of failure and inability to master required material.
And don't use the 12 years of medical knowledge line any more as your USMLE score suggests to anyone looking that you haven't mastered the first 2 years of material after taking it twice and studying for years? Your timeline doesn't really make sense to me.
Anyway. If I were you, I'd have pursued plan B about the time school one determined you were untrainable.
There's a saying about throwing good money after bad that applies here.

--
Il Destriero

Consider a non-clinical medical career. I decided not to apply to med school (thanks to wise SDN advice) and became a medical writer instead. I help MDs apply for grants and write a range of marketing materials. It's not hands-on clinical work, but I write on numerous specialties (oncology, ID, pulm, peds, derm, EM, etc.).

Having an MD is a huge plus in breaking into these careers. Residency not required.

Are you being completely honest about your practice scores and your test performance? Obviously you're not being shy about admitting you failed, but that is a huge drop off. Have you suffered from test anxiety before?

The training is about equivalent.

An NP has an undergraduate degree and a 2 year masters degree. They have no required clinical hours to apply for the NP masters, but several hundred hours are integrated into the degree itself

A PA has an undergraduate degree and a 2 year masters degree. There are no clinical hours integrated into the undergraduate degree but they are required to pick up a few hundred hours on their own to apply

NPs do not, in general, have more or less autonomy than PAs. Culturally many physicians find PAs to be better employees than NPs, because nursing culture is so inherently critical of physicians, but legally NPs and PAs usually (though not always) have the same rights when it comes to autonomy in a given state.

Not that I would recommend any of the above for the OP.
I guess going off my state NPs can prescribe anything but narcotics while PAs have to work under an physician and the physician has to sign off on their orders.
PAs have the same undergraduate training as us, with clinical experience that can just be cleaning up puke and vomit and 2 years. At least NPs have undergraduate training with clinicals and 2 year masters. I feel like overall they're better clinically trained. At least with the NPs and PAs I've met.
Though I don't want to derail this thread so I'll stop here.

I guess going off my state NPs can prescribe anything but narcotics while PAs have to work under an physician and the physician has to sign off on their orders.
PAs have the same undergraduate training as us, with clinical experience that can just be cleaning up puke and vomit and 2 years. At least NPs have undergraduate training with clinicals and 2 year masters. I feel like overall they're better clinically trained. At least with the NPs and PAs I've met.

Or the PA could have started as a respiratory therapist, military medic, paramedic, nurse, occupational therapist, etc... (most of the PAs I know fit in this category and not the nursing assistant category).

I'm a physician assistant (prior to medical school) and my husband is a NP with an online degree which I watched him take. The education is focused differently. (I could go on about that too.) I think what's more important, though, is that NPs have unregulated clinical hours, so some of my husband's classmates spent their rotations observing physicians and not participating in care. My husband, thankfully, was able to do his clinical rotations at a hospital with MD, DO, PA, and NP students. He had excellent rotations. (He's also a former Army medic who learned more from his medic and LPN degrees and experience in the military than he did in his RN, BSN (online), or NP (online) programs.)

Any intelligent person can pass PA or NP certification tests by studying question books. It's the clinical rotations that teach us how to think through medical processes, apply knowledge, and not kill people (hopefully). Because NP programs have no regulating body that ensures a minimum expectation of experience on clinical rotations, you'll find variable skill levels among graduates.

I've worked with brilliant PAs and NPs, as well as those that will kill someone if they haven't already. What they're allowed by law to do in practice varies by state (often depending on whether physician or nursing lobbies are stronger), and has no bearing on whether one or the other is better.

If failing step 1 after studying for it for 3 years isn't tipping you off that you're not cut out for med school then there's no point in responding to this thread seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Dropping from 240 to 186? This doesn't sound right at all.

It's time to accept reality and move on with your life. A career in medicine is not in your cards.

Instead of getting that MD and still ending up teaching which won't pay more than 120k at most, why not come back to US, enroll in a PA program or Nursing ? you already have knowledge of medicine and I am sure PA or nursing exams are not as tough as step exams and you will have a decent clinical job with good money

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

But that's not the point. The point is don't transfer to another medical school. That's stupid.
Also, where in the world do you think you can teach high school and make 70-80k? You must be international because you can't make that in the US. Anywhere.
Also, your degree is expiring? Degrees don't work that way.

You're either totally confused on how everything works, an international student, or a really unfun troll.
The training of PA is better than NP for the most part. Period! Not getting into the details...

Dropping from 240 to 186? This doesn't sound right at all.

It's time to accept reality and move on with your life. A career in medicine is not in your cards.
That does not sound right... People I know got a score of +/-10 from their last NBME...

That does not sound right... People I know got a score of +/-10 from their last NBME...
They probably retook the same nbme considering how much time was spent on this, and was memorizing answers rather than learning the material properly. It's not possible to fail for anyone truly getting 240+ first pass consistently, the difference is substantial (getting 87%+ questions right vs 50%) and the scores inconsistent with the rest of the story (failing pathology to the point of getting kicked, etc). Even if these were truly first pass scores and you somehow did that bad on the real, you would be way more confident in the re-take than you are here. For some reason whenever people fail out for academic or professional reasons, they need to spin the story to an anonymous forum to justify themselves and gain some sympathy.

"Mid tier Caribbean school"

The Caribbean schools have tiers now?

1. Garbage
2. Smelly garbage
3. Disgustingly smelly garbage

So the school he's referencing is smelly garbage most likely.

Reactions: 3 users

You seem really insecure.

"Its my rung of the ladder and I get to sniff the physicians ass you get down there!!!"

You seem really insecure.

"Its my rung of the ladder and I get to sniff the physicians ass you get down there!!!"
. . . I'm neither a NP nor a PA. Nothing to feel insecure about. I'm an OMS2.
I'm just commenting on what I've seen personally. I have no skin in the game.

I agree with not ever saying you studied for fifteen years and failed step one.

There is a lot you are not telling us.

IMHO....
Return to your island school and take Step 1 again
Your school is not returning phone calls, emails, etc. Yet, isnt that common with most ECFMG Caribbean schools?
Your school may not be responding because that is SOP.
Get on a plane, show up, walk them through the steps, signed papers, have someone mail your Step 1 Application to ECFMG, and then wait for your next Step 1 exam

What I find troubling about your thread is that you state no Residency Program will take you, "0%". Why?
Certainly not because of failing Step 1. Surely you have other qualities that you can present to the Residency Programs that will persuade them to give you a nod. Foreign languages? Steller CV medical background? Social justice background? If you are open to applying to 200 Residency Programs in places where there exists a pressing need for physicians at your maurity level, you should be able to get a few interviews at the very least

If you are granted interviews, that means your second Step 1 score was considered by them, and now it will be to you to sell yourself

It seems to me you are suffering a lack of self confidence

Take the Step 1 again, persuade your school in person to sponsor your application, walk the application and get all of the required signatures, and rock it

On a side note, something is really amiss with your final score and your UWorld and NBME scores.
Going through Uworld twice usually lifts your chances of doing better than those students who dont even do UWorld once in its entirety

Something is amiss in your story.

Just take Step 1 again but you need to convince your audience that you have what it takes.
First you have to believe it

Others have traveled your path, and they eventually landed a Residency Program.
i know a Latino MD Student, former PA of many years , married and teen kids, who earned his MD Degree at a Caribbean school in his 40s, failed Step 1, retook it, earned an IM Residency slot in Miami. Many more exist like his. His Step 1 score was OK the second time, but his interpersonal skills due to his maturity, got him back on track

why not you?

Go for it! Keep us posted

No PA, ARNP, CRNA, et al path. Stick to MD
Glad you have a lot of belief in him, but you're not accounting for the fact he's already failed out of a US med school once. He has very low chances of landing residencies. He might. But I think you've got a little too much optimism.

Hello,

I am an RN who will be applying to medical school next year. I am very sorry to hear about your situation. I am not affiliated with the following program but thought I would let you know about this company called Boards Ready - www.boardsready.com . They do USMLE review and clinical skills for people who have failed step 1. It wouldn't hurt to contact them for more information. If BoardsReady is not right for you, I would recommend getting into the cheapest community college rn program in your state and going from there to become an NP. RN programs are not as standardized as medical schools - many operate on a points system with points given for having a bachelors's degree, health care experience, A grades in anatomy and physiology etc. If you post your state of residence, it might be easier to find an appropriate school for you. If I were you, I would try to go to BoardsReady while applying to every community college nursing program as a backup. If you do not have lower division anatomy and physiology classes, you could take them online via the dallas community college district.

Spudbunny

It seems to me you are suffering a lack of self confidence
No... if anything he has over self-confidence in thinking he has 15 years of medical knowledge, and enrolled in a Caribbean med school after flunking out. Sorry. The standards to get into a US school are not that high. To stay in one takes work but passing is not really that hard either.

Personally there is no way I would want the OP as my doctor. Prolonging the delusion is inconsiderate considering it will cost the OP a fortune when he never does anything if ever finishes with a medical degree.

So would someone get dismissed that easily from a US school for failing one class?

So would someone get dismissed that easily from a US school for failing one class?

No. What probably happened was he failed 2 courses and repeated a year. This explains why he was in basic sciences for 3 years instead of 2. Failing pathology was probably the 3rd class he failed, and thus decided to withdraw rather than face dismissal. He then transfers to the Caribbean so he could continue his medical education. This is most likely the sequence of events.