Failed pediatric boards

Doodledog

Escape artist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I need advice. I am a 3rd year fellow and I have failed the boards for the second time, I graduate this June. I gave my test this last October and started interviewing at various programs for a job. Today I got my results and I have lots of questions

- I was wondering should I continue interviewing for the jobs? Is board certification in general pediatrics a requirement at University based programs?
-Will my program director recommend me for graduation from the fellowship program.

Thank you for your help

First of all, sorry to hear about the board results. Did you improve this time to close to passing? Did you take a review course? Fellowship is a very tough time to be taking a generalist-oriented exam. You aren't thinking about those things and seeing those patients every day. Thus, it requires book studying which is challenging during fellowship. Hopefully next time you'll be free of those responsibilities and able to focus, especially on your weakest areas.

You might get more opinions on the pedi board if you choose to post there, but in general, although board certification in pedi is needed to take specialty board exams, it would not usually be necessary to complete these boards to graduate from a program or get a first job either in private practice or specialty. Of course, some programs might choose to not hire you, but, depending on your field and the demand, you should be able to get a job while awaiting retaking again. There are lots of BE, not BC folks in academic programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I agree with Tildy who has been extremely helpful on this board.

There are lots of job opportunities with a BE status.

But I don't know specific about Peds but for FM, you have 3 yrs after graduation to be BC for most jobs.

Good luck with your studying.
I advise taking the exam again this year - don't get discouraged

Me too. Being board certified is good for a lot of hospital jobs, but there are a lot of community jobs that don't mind. Plus, as long as you're board eligible you can get virtually any job. The problem becomes once you're no longer eligible to take the boards.

- j