Failed CS :(

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor1234

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi people, I failed my CS :( , although I scored 87 and 97 in step 1 and 2 and have whole lot of experience. They failed me in my Communication & interpersonal skills but passed in the other two ie spoken english and medical knowledge. I have already retaken my CS and expecting my result in Dec, 2006 and I am an IMG. What r my chances of getting interviews or residency in IM? plz advice...

Members don't see this ad.

People help me and let me know if I stand a chance... I am verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nervous. Lots of money and hard work is at stake.. :( :( :( . I would be honored if you can share your experience or information with me...

People help me and let me know if I stand a chance... I am verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry nervous. Lots of money and hard work is at stake.. :( :( :( . I would be honored if you can share your experience or information with me...

Alright, I'll pitch in.

Failing the CS usually doesn't hurt much... but. the question is... how many places have you applied to, what were your scores, and what specialty did you apply to. You need to do your homework on where to apply to. It maybe too late now that it's pretty much november and the dean's letter is coming out and incomplete apps will be eliminated. You might have to prepare to scramble... in which case I would take an honest look at what you can do and can't do. Talk to your dean/advisor. Now is a good time to pre-plan.

Dear Faebinder,
Thank you so much for your reply. The thing is I am an International medical graduate. I have already applied to around 50 internal medicine programs and unfortuantely already have started receiving a lot of rejects. Do I stand a chance? I have submitted some very good letters of recommendation and my overall application is excellent except for that failed CS....

Dear Faebinder,
Thank you so much for your reply. The thing is I am an International medical graduate. I have already applied to around 50 internal medicine programs and unfortuantely already have started receiving a lot of rejects. Do I stand a chance? I have submitted some very good letters of recommendation and my overall application is excellent except for that failed CS....

Again, I dont think it's the fact that you failed the CS as much as "what is your step 1 and step 2 scores" as well as "where did you apply". Someone with scores of 90, 90 and failed the CS is not in the same boat as someone with 80, 80 and failed the CS.

Of course you are facing the problem of "Should we give this guy an interview? After all he might not be ready to rank."

Talk to your dean...otherwise it's a waiting game at this point for you.

well as an IMG, the Dean doesnt have a role to play. Just wondering if some FMGs have their experiences to share, their or their friends'.....

well as an IMG, the Dean doesnt have a role to play. Just wondering if some FMGs have their experiences to share, their or their friends'.....

What you need to do is schedule to take an other CS AS SOON AS possible. Here are three senarios for you :
1. If you get the CS result before Rank Order List:
It will be a great for you, b/c program could rank you without worrying about that you may not pass the CS.
2. If you get the CS result BEFORE Match, but after Rank Order publish:
In this case, if you don't get match then you WILL have option to got through SCRAMBLE.
3. If you get the CS result AFTER Match and you can't scramble:
With your scores you might be able to find some open spots and be able to start on July 1st.
4. Worse carse senario that you can't start on July 1st:
Then you can take the STEP 3 and sart working as Sub-Intern in any US hospotal and get valuable US clinical Exp and you will be very strong candidate for next year.
I hope it help, i am still waiting for my CS results, should be in last week of Nov, i have 5 interviews so i am very nervous too.
Good Luck!!

What you need to do is schedule to take an other CS AS SOON AS possible. Here are three senarios for you :
1. If you get the CS result before Rank Order List:
It will be a great for you, b/c program could rank you without worrying about that you may not pass the CS.
2. If you get the CS result BEFORE Match, but after Rank Order publish:
In this case, if you don't get match then you WILL have option to got through SCRAMBLE.
3. If you get the CS result AFTER Match and you can't scramble:
With your scores you might be able to find some open spots and be able to start on July 1st.
4. Worse carse senario that you can't start on July 1st:
Then you can take the STEP 3 and sart working as Sub-Intern in any US hospotal and get valuable US clinical Exp and you will be very strong candidate for next year.
I hope it help, i am still waiting for my CS results, should be in last week of Nov, i have 5 interviews so i am very nervous too.
Good Luck!!

Then you can take the STEP 3 and sart working as Sub-Intern in any US hospotal and get valuable US clinical Exp and you will be very strong candidate for next year

I've just taken step 3, I believe in order to be eligible to take the exam you need to have at least 6 months post-graduate experience, but I can't remember if this has to be US graduate experience.

Originally Posted by kemc
Then you can take the STEP 3 and sart working as Sub-Intern in any US hospotal and get valuable US clinical Exp and you will be very strong candidate for next year

I've just taken step 3, I believe in order to be eligible to take the exam you need to have at least 6 months post-graduate experience, but I can't remember if this has to be US graduate experience.

I don't know if FMGs need to have 6 months of US clinical exp in order to appear in STEP-3 ???? i think i depends on state too ????
Any one with some input????

Originally Posted by kemc

I don't know if FMGs need to have 6 months of US clinical exp in order to appear in STEP-3 ???? i think i depends on state too ????
Any one with some input????

Thank you Kemc for your inputs. I have already taken my CS again and will be getting the result by Dec I guess. As far as the step 3 goes, as FMG, you can write it unless your ECFMG certified, i.e. passed your step1.2CK and CS. No US working needed for that...