Failed COMLEX PE but applying ACGME

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sonya13!

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I failed COMLEX PE but passed on the retake. I am wondering how bad will that look for applying to ACGME Anesthesiology residencies in the upcoming cycle? Should I take the CS so that I can "prove" to program directors that I can actually be a doctor? I plan to talk about my failed PE in my personal statement. It was a rough time in my life in which I had several acts of violence and several crimes done against me (I live in an urban environment) and even dealt with a death threat someone tried to act on :( . It was a really depressing and scary time in my life, but I was so afraid to move the exam). I took the exam with so much built up anxiety, obviously, and ended up standing up rather than sitting down during the history taking for all twelve patients even though I did soooo many things for empathy that few other people did. And I forgot to sit down because on clinical rotations, esp. in the hospital, no one really sits down when taking the history for a patient.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your step scores? If they are solid, there is no need to address that. Many PDs don't put too much weight on that test. My friend matched at a solid IM program and she still has not taken the CS exam yet.

It's usually advised not to emphasize minor issues in one's application. If that was CK or CE, I would have said address it. Addressing something minor like that in your PS if your application is otherwise solid is unwarranted IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
What are your step scores? If they are solid, there is no need to address that. Many PDs don't put too much weight on that test. My friend matched at a solid IM program and she still has not taken the CS exam yet.

It's usually advised not to emphasize minor issues in one's application. If that was CK or CE, I would have said address it. Addressing something minor like that in your PS if your application is otherwise solid is unwarranted IMO.

So the problem is that I also failed Step 1 the first time as well. I took it at the same time as my PE, when all this awful stuff was happening. Thankfully, I retook it with a much better score. I felt that because I have to address my step 1, I also have to address my PE. I am also addressing how I overcame this situation and became stronger as a future resident.

I spoke to a few PD's about my usmle step 1, and they understood my situation. They said that they just wanted to see me do better the second time around. However, when I spoke to them, my failed COMLEX PE score hadn't come out yet. I am just wondering if I should take the CS as well to really show ACGME programs that I am capable of taking a physical exam. I know AOA PD's place a huge emphasis on the PE, but I really am not sure how much ACGME PD's care. I am confident that I could pass the CS.

It sounds like you have done everything you could to get back on track but you should probably apply broadly and to a backup specialty just to keep your bases covered. Hopefully you did well on your comlex exams but a failed step I (though now passed) and a failed PE (also succesfully remediated) may prove to be an uphill battle.

So the problem is that I also failed Step 1 the first time as well. I took it at the same time as my PE, when all this awful stuff was happening. Thankfully, I retook it with a much better score. I felt that because I have to address my step 1, I also have to address my PE. I am also addressing how I overcame this situation and became stronger as a future resident.

I spoke to a few PD's about my usmle step 1, and they understood my situation. They said that they just wanted to see me do better the second time around. However, when I spoke to them, my failed COMLEX PE score hadn't come out yet. I am just wondering if I should take the CS as well to really show ACGME programs that I am capable of taking a physical exam. I know AOA PD's place a huge emphasis on the PE, but I really am not sure how much ACGME PD's care. I am confident that I could pass the CS.
If you fill like you can pass CS, go ahead and take it. But it is such an unpredictable exam; therefore, anything can happen... Since you passed step1 in 2nd attempt, I think you apply broadly (~100 anesthesia programs) and use low tier IM programs or FM as a back up plan.