Failed College Algebra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

such a protease

Protease
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I know I am going to fail college algebra this semester there are no two ways around it and I'm totally bummed it's mostly my fault but the professor is also not good at all at what he does. Hence, he's not getting rehired after only 4 semesters at my university. Anyways, I carried a 4.0 (concurrent enrollment about 18 hours in non-science courses in English 1 & 2, Sociology, Psychology, US Government ) to my university and earned a 3.4 last semester grades as follow
Zoology - A
Zoology Lab -A
Foundations of Life Science - B
Foundations of Life Science Lab - B
Math in the Modern World - B

This left me with a 3.75 GPA in total
Found of Life is our version of Biology we're interdisciplinary and Math in the Modern World is also a required IDS course at my university. I earned those grades COMPLETELY slacking and I know if I actually tried I could do much better, but I decide to slack again this semester since it didn't turn out too bad. Bad idea because I am not good at abstract math and I was taking college algebra.

As I mentioned before this semester I am going to fail college algebra and cannot withdraw from so I am wondering if this just completely ruined my chances at med school. I plan to take it an try very very hard and I know if I put effort into it and study over the summer to get my algebraic skills up to par that I can replace that grade with an A. I also plan to pick my professor wisely next time because I was told he wasn't very good (word gets around we're a small school 1,000 students give or take) Would that save me or am I doomed? Also how many biology (not pre-med courses) is it safe to get a B in? I think I am getting a B in my Botany class as well :lame:

I was also wondering what is the lowest GPA that you can have to be considered a competitive applicant for MD and DO school because I know they're quite different in terms of typical admission standards.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so I know I am going to fail college algebra this semester there are no two ways around it and I'm totally bummed it's mostly my fault but the professor is also not good at all at what he does. Hence, he's not getting rehired after only 4 semesters at my university. Anyways, I carried a 4.0 (concurrent enrollment about 18 hours in non-science courses in English 1 & 2, Sociology, Psychology, US Government ) to my university and earned a 3.4 last semester grades as follow
Zoology - A
Zoology Lab -A

Found of Life is our version of Biology we're interdisciplinary and Math in the Modern World is also a required IDS course at my university. I earned those grades COMPLETELY slacking and I know if I actually tried I could do much better, but I decide to slack again this semester since it didn't turn out too bad. Bad idea because I am not good at abstract math and I was taking college algebra.

As I mentioned before this semester I am going to fail college algebra and cannot withdraw from so
1) I am wondering if this just completely ruined my chances at med school. I plan to take it an try very very hard and I know if I put effort into it and study over the summer to get my algebraic skills up to par that 2) I can replace that grade with an A. I also plan to pick my professor wisely next time because I was told he wasn't very good (word gets around we're a small school 1,000 students give or take) Would that save me or am I doomed?
3) Also how many biology (not pre-med courses) is it safe to get a B in? I think I am getting a B in my Botany class as well :lame:

4) I was also wondering what is the lowest GPA that you can have to be considered a competitive applicant for MD and DO school because I know they're quite different in terms of typical admission standards.
1) No, it doesn't.

2) Even if you school replaces the A in its GPA calculation, AMCAS, the MD application service will include both grades in theirs. But you're still not doomed, if you wash out the effect of the F with many, many As. AACOMAS, the DO application service, will only include the more recent grade.

3) It would be better for you to have the mentality that from now on you need to be excellent at everything. Striving to achieve the minimum acceptable grades is not a good mindset.

4) DO matriculant averages are cGPA 3.47 and sGPA 3.36 (which doesn't include math). MD acceptee averages are cGPA 3.67/BCPM GPA 3.61 (which does include math). You can get in with lower numbers if your MCAT is appropriately stronger than average or due to various special circumstances.

Zoology - A
Zoology Lab -A

As I mentioned before this semester I am going to fail college algebra and cannot withdraw from so I am wondering if this just completely ruined my chances at med school. I plan to take it an try very very hard and I know if I put effort into it and study over the summer to get my algebraic skills up to par that I can replace that grade with an A. I also plan to pick my professor wisely next time because I was told he wasn't very good (word gets around we're a small school 1,000 students give or take) Would that save me or am I doomed? Also how many biology (not pre-med courses) is it safe to get a B in? I think I am getting a B in my Botany class as well :lame:

I was also wondering what is the lowest GPA that you can have to be considered a competitive applicant for MD and DO school because I know they're quite different in terms of typical admission standards.

If you like slacking, you may want to look into the Caribbean: MD schools there will take a sub-3.0/sub-25. You don't even have to get B's in your classes!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
its one bad grade. it happens more than you would believe contrary to what you hear on SDN. retake it and rock it. dont screw up again. if you're really worried about it, good EC's and a good MCAT will make it a non-factor for sure.

is college algebra like linear algebra or a college equivalent of high school algebra?

is college algebra like linear algebra or a college equivalent of high school algebra?

It's high school algebra. Private schools don't usually offer it, but it's common at state schools and CC's.

It's high school algebra. Private schools don't usually offer it, but it's common at state schools and CC's.

It's not quite high school algebra. It's a continuation of the algebras you took in high school, for sure, but one more up. (High school: Alg 1 & 2, Col Alg: ~3.)

However, you can take it while in high school, which is handy. Really nice getting that out of the way in advance, as is getting your English Comp I & II done before college.

Thank you so much. I was very worried. I understand I can't aim for bare minimum anymore or ever. I was just asking the minimum competitive GPA to see kind of where I stood at the moment. :)

Haha nooo Caribbean schools for me. I was only slacking or leaving studying on the back burner because I was decently knowledgeable in all of those classes and I got rid of extra stress that was impeding me from being functional in class. I felt like a zombie the entire last semester and the beginning of this year because I was juggling school, a part-time job, poolee for the USMC, clubs and volunteering. I got quit my job a few weeks ago and opted not to join the Marines since my recruiter didn't mention that there are hardly female reservist positions in Oklahoma and I sure wasn't doing active duty anytime soon. I have a lot more time to study now but am still decently involved in ECs :) Now if only I could get my horrible insomnia under control or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Scalpels is right its more of a continuation. The basic concepts learned in Alg I and II are built onto in College Algebra. Unluckily for me besides my slacking and my being better at visual mathematics (geometry, trig) I also realized that I'm failing because the last time I took any math course was Alg II in my sophomore year of high school or 3 years ago because I finished "early" according to them but its really the my dopey HS didn't offer much in the way of the math dept. :-/

very good up you
g.gif

Last edited:
on this note, (the math) how much of it is taken? and whats really good ways to sharpen these skills?