This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
"Let it go"
"Some battles aren't worth fighting"
Soo why u still responding, "friend"
Because I'm not the one who got butthurt by an anonymous stranger on the Internet making fun of another person.

That said, this will be my last post to this thread. Ciao, dude.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my all-time worst students is now an anaesthesiologist in the Northwest. Probably killing patients in Spokane now. Even repeating a year didn't stop him.

With the expansion of schools and the tightening of residency slot numbers, I have worries like your dean does. Still, failing a single course isn't the same as having to repeat a year, so I suggest that you focus on doing well this semester, and focusing on remediation.

And read this:
Goro's Guide to Success in Medical School (2017 edition)

LOL i spit out my coffee, i think you're funny @Goro . obviously the guy is sufficiently competent if he passed his stuff, but i can see how this could be a touchy subject.

LOL i spit out my coffee, i think you're funny @Goro . obviously the guy is sufficiently competent if he passed his stuff, but i can see how this could be a touchy subject.
Did you notice that the point I was making, that one can be successful even after failing a class or two, sailed right over the OP's head?

I think I've said all I need to say.

Reactions: 2 users
1. Breathe.
2. You are not the first and will certainly not be the last medical student to perform poorly in a course. You are still feeling-out the methods/ways of medical school, sometimes curveballs and speed bumps come with the territory (especially early on).
3. This is nothing more than one bad test, on one bad day. You are a human being prone to making mistakes. Do not develop the mindset that leads many med students/physicians down a dangerous path. You are not a machine.
4. If it makes you feel any better, I have the privilege of learning directly from a ROAD specialty interviewer who, when asked about the consequences of remediation, laughed. She simply stated: "Just don't repeat a year".
5. If you haven't figured this out by now, step scores, research, presentations, LOR, etc. are far more important than pre-clinical grades. Is there a correlation between step scores and course performance? Sure, but this is why you are going to keep the damage to a minimum, i.e. one bad test on one bad day. Keep your head up and the world is still yours.

Im sorry to hear about this. You have a larger hole to dig out of for competitive specialities, but I dont think it is insurmountable. You could always take a research year to get more research in. Doing well on step is probably the most important thing you can do. As far as study tips are concerned. Try experimenting with study techniques. I would suggest giving anki a try.

could i ask for your advice? similar situation with failing and all but in undergrad. at my school you can register for independent research credits with a professor as a freshman/sophomore, and they are pass/fail (s/u). i signed up for 3 credits last semester while learning the techniques and i got a pass from my PI pretty easily. this semester i'm taking 17 credits so i only signed up for 1.5 research credits since our credit max is 18.5. my PI told me i haven't done enough work this semester (in terms of data and experiments) and she told me she plans to give me a fail for those credits. HELP i'm scared i will get continuously questioned about this throughout the application process. it won't affect my GPA and i'm a good student but she thinks i haven't done enough. technically 1.5 credits that she is grading me on means coming in for 4-5 hours/week which i have definitely done, even if it isn't enough work for me to stay in the lab, i still have spent enough time in lab to pass. i will talk to my advisor about withdrawing from the research and if that doesn't work i'll try to talk to my PI. but what if nothing works and i end up with an unsatisfactory on my transcript? how bad will that affect my application? what can i do?

could i ask for your advice? similar situation with failing and all but in undergrad. at my school you can register for independent research credits with a professor as a freshman/sophomore, and they are pass/fail (s/u). i signed up for 3 credits last semester while learning the techniques and i got a pass from my PI pretty easily. this semester i'm taking 17 credits so i only signed up for 1.5 research credits since our credit max is 18.5. my PI told me i haven't done enough work this semester (in terms of data and experiments) and she told me she plans to give me a fail for those credits. HELP i'm scared i will get continuously questioned about this throughout the application process. it won't affect my GPA and i'm a good student but she thinks i haven't done enough. technically 1.5 credits that she is grading me on means coming in for 4-5 hours/week which i have definitely done, even if it isn't enough work for me to stay in the lab, i still have spent enough time in lab to pass. i will talk to my advisor about withdrawing from the research and if that doesn't work i'll try to talk to my PI. but what if nothing works and i end up with an unsatisfactory on my transcript? how bad will that affect my application? what can i do?
Your best option is to withdraw. If not possible you need to be living in the lab to satisfy your PI for a pass. The final grade is what will impact your chances of admission, but it is difficult to say anything without more information etc.

Your best option is to withdraw. If not possible you need to be living in the lab to satisfy your PI for a pass. The final grade is what will impact your chances of admission, but it is difficult to say anything without more information etc.

i am doing my best to withdraw but we are way past the deadline. i did have a lot of personal/family issues going on so they may let me withdraw, so i am trying to go through that process right now. my PI basically won't pass me because the semester is over and there are only two options, satisfactory or unsatisfactory. what should i do? this is scary

Did you notice that the point I was making, that one can be successful even after failing a class or two, sailed right over the OP's head?

I think I've said all I need to say.
@Goro could i ask for your advice as well?
similar situation with failing and all but in undergrad. at my school you can register for independent research credits with a professor as a freshman/sophomore, and they are pass/fail (s/u). i signed up for 3 credits last semester while learning the techniques and i got a pass from my PI pretty easily. this semester i'm taking 17 credits so i only signed up for 1.5 research credits since our credit max is 18.5. my PI told me i haven't done enough work this semester (in terms of data and experiments) and she told me she plans to give me a fail for those credits. HELP i'm scared i will get continuously questioned about this throughout the application process. it won't affect my GPA and i'm a good student but she thinks i haven't done enough. technically 1.5 credits that she is grading me on means coming in for 4-5 hours/week which i have definitely done, even if it isn't enough work for me to stay in the lab, i still have spent enough time in lab to pass. i will talk to my advisor about withdrawing from the research and if that doesn't work i'll try to talk to my PI. but what if nothing works and i end up with an unsatisfactory on my transcript? how bad will that affect my application? what can i do?

I chuckled out loud when I read that he was killing people. It was funny.

There are good dr and bad drs just as there are good and bad whatever profession. How are people so sensitive?

Honest question and I hope someone answers. To those that are offended. Have you ever held a real job and interacted with others outside of school? I’m not being sarcastic I am really curious. I’m beginning med school next year and an trying to gauge my future interactions. If I should just keep my thoughts and jokes to myself. Can I get into trouble for being blunt?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
its a whole different world between people who took time off before school and the ones that went straight through haha I try to keep my head down and avoid the firestorm of complaints and stuff when something (even the tiniest thing) doesn't go exactly their way. I'd feel people out and know who you can joke to before lettin em fly. There's always a couple that might report ya for something that was a joke

@Goro could i ask for your advice as well?
similar situation with failing and all but in undergrad. at my school you can register for independent research credits with a professor as a freshman/sophomore, and they are pass/fail (s/u). i signed up for 3 credits last semester while learning the techniques and i got a pass from my PI pretty easily. this semester i'm taking 17 credits so i only signed up for 1.5 research credits since our credit max is 18.5. my PI told me i haven't done enough work this semester (in terms of data and experiments) and she told me she plans to give me a fail for those credits. HELP i'm scared i will get continuously questioned about this throughout the application process. it won't affect my GPA and i'm a good student but she thinks i haven't done enough. technically 1.5 credits that she is grading me on means coming in for 4-5 hours/week which i have definitely done, even if it isn't enough work for me to stay in the lab, i still have spent enough time in lab to pass. i will talk to my advisor about withdrawing from the research and if that doesn't work i'll try to talk to my PI. but what if nothing works and i end up with an unsatisfactory on my transcript? how bad will that affect my application? what can i do?
An F in this course will be minor, but do NOT ask this PI for a LOR!!!

See if you can take a W

I chuckled out loud when I read that he was killing people. It was funny.

There are good dr and bad drs just as there are good and bad whatever profession. How are people so sensitive?

Honest question and I hope someone answers. To those that are offended. Have you ever held a real job and interacted with others outside of school? I’m not being sarcastic I am really curious. I’m beginning med school next year and an trying to gauge my future interactions. If I should just keep my thoughts and jokes to myself. Can I get into trouble for being blunt?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
That was a classic case of projection with sammie and the OP.

An F in this course will be minor, but do NOT ask this PI for a LOR!!!

See if you can take a W

oh i would not ask this PI for a letter!! will be leaving this lab. i will try to take a W but there isn't a great chance they will allow me to withdraw as an exception. if i have to take a U (unsatisfactory) how badly will this affect my application...? when people read apps do they look at semester GPAs? or every single class? because if they look thoroughly in the transcript they will see the U for this research "class" :/

oh i would not ask this PI for a letter!! will be leaving this lab. i will try to take a W but there isn't a great chance they will allow me to withdraw as an exception. if i have to take a U (unsatisfactory) how badly will this affect my application...? when people read apps do they look at semester GPAs? or every single class? because if they look thoroughly in the transcript they will see the U for this research "class" :/
It will likely stand out as a single bad grade amongst a sea of good ones, so expect to be asked about it.

We normally look at year by year GPAs, but we do see your transcripts.

Honest question and I hope someone answers. To those that are offended. Have you ever held a real job and interacted with others outside of school? I’m not being sarcastic I am really curious
Welcome to (almost) 2019. The majority of your classmates will have never had a job in their lives. They know NOTHING about the real world outside of the classroom. Trust me.

i will try to take a W but there isn't a great chance they will allow me to withdraw as an exception. if i have to take a U (unsatisfactory) how badly will this affect my application...?
I had an awkward withdraw on my transcript and I think one med school interviewer (out of dozens) asked me about it.

Overall, I had an absolutely garbage undergrad transcript - worse than yours could ever be - and ended up at one of my last choice med schools, probably due to my awful GPA. I decided I wouldn't let it affect my career trajectory, and thus far it hasn't at all. You'll likely fair better.

Not going to quote anyone, but I made the mistake of reading this entire thread, old posts and all. I'm listed as a med student, but many years ago I was a struggling premed who was told they had zero chance at med school. Because of the advice I got (on a different username) from users like @Goro I'll match to residency with my MD in a few months. Not everyone here is ungrateful.

Reactions: 3 users
Welcome to (almost) 2019. The majority of your classmates will have never had a job in their lives. They know NOTHING about the real world outside of the classroom. Trust me.

I had an awkward withdraw on my transcript and I think one med school interviewer (out of dozens) asked me about it.

Overall, I had an absolutely garbage undergrad transcript - worse than yours could ever be - and ended up at one of my last choice med schools, probably due to my awful GPA. I decided I wouldn't let it affect my career trajectory, and thus far it hasn't at all. You'll likely fair better.

Not going to quote anyone, but I made the mistake of reading this entire thread, old posts and all. I'm listed as a med student, but many years ago I was a struggling premed who was told they had zero chance at med school. Because of the advice I got (on a different username) from users like @Goro I'll match to residency with my MD in a few months. Not everyone here is ungrateful.

what was your GPA?

Majority of my class at USMD has had full time work. The trend is towards semi-non-trads. I'm more or less "traditional" with one gap year where I worked full time. It was good to learn about crappy office politics.

Reactions: 2 users
It will likely stand out as a single bad grade amongst a sea of good ones, so expect to be asked about it.

We normally look at year by year GPAs, but we do see your transcripts.

ah gotcha. would this reflect as badly as a D or F in biology or chemistry, or can i play this off as being irresponsible and not putting in enough hours at lab? the class is called "introduction to research.." i have otherwise all As this semester

ah gotcha. would this reflect as badly as a D or F in biology or chemistry, or can i play this off as being irresponsible and not putting in enough hours at lab? the class is called "introduction to research.." i have otherwise all As this semester
It could be perceived as that you goofed off in the class or worse, that you cheated and got an F instead of a suspension or dismissal.

Or you had a really bad prof/PI.

It could be perceived as that you goofed off in the class or worse, that you cheated and got an F instead of a suspension or dismissal.

Or you had a really bad prof/PI.

i did have a really mean PI haha. hopefully will 1.5 credits be a sign that it's not a real class where cheating is possible?