This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed1234567891011

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why on FAFSA does it recommend entering parental info if you're going to be a medical student? What's the advantage/disadvantage/difference between entering parent info and not?

Members don't see this ad.

Entering a parents info allows the school to see what kind of background you come from. Every single applicant/accepted student at this stage is relatively poor, therefore, if schools went off of a student's income, everyone would receive need-based aid. By providing your parents information, you provide schools with a measure to gauge poor vs. non-poor.

Note, some schools do not require your parental info for need-based aid if you are married or, for example, if your parents are incarcerated, etc.

Entering a parents info allows the school to see what kind of background you come from. Every single applicant/accepted student at this stage is relatively poor, therefore, if schools went off of a student's income, everyone would receive need-based aid. By providing your parents information, you provide schools with a measure to gauge poor vs. non-poor.

Note, some schools do not require your parental info for need-based aid if you are married or, for example, if your parents are incarcerated, etc.

And lets face it, how many parents who have money help pay for school?

Reactions: 1 user
And lets face it, how many parents who have money help pay for school?
I wouldn't know. But the point, I believe, is that people who come from money had more opportunities to succeed and are usually in a better place, financially speaking, than someone who had to struggle their whole life.

But yes, I agree. There are parents who do not give out their $$$. However, as stated previously, this is the best measure for gauging poor vs. non-poor, because if schools decided to base their need-based aid on the student's income, everyone would qualify.

Reactions: 1 user