FAFSA SAI Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JukeBoxHeroo

Reaction score
Can someone explain what the number they gave you for SAI means? I see that there is a range from -1500 to 999999. What does the number mean in reference to how much aid schools give regarding loans/grants

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone explain what the number they gave you for SAI means? I see that there is a range from -1500 to 999999. What does the number mean in reference to how much aid schools give regarding loans/grants
-1500 should allow you to get max amount of federal unsubsidized loans (20,500$ per year I think). As the SAI increases, that number decreases. I may be wrong, but I don't think med schools use the FAFSA for grants or anything outside student loan packages.

Reactions: 1 users
-1500 should allow you to get max amount of federal unsubsidized loans (20,500$ per year I think). As the SAI increases, that number decreases. I may be wrong, but I don't think med schools use the FAFSA for grants or anything outside student loan packages.
For medical students apparently the limit for the Federal unsub loans is not capped at $20,500. Certain schools have and may offer you a "financial aid" package that includes more than $20,500 in Federal unsubsidized loans. "So worry not 🤡" they say

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Reviving this thread after a month - is SAI solely determined on income level?

No one other than the federal government really knows how SAI is determined, or what it means.

And by "the federal government", I mean Susan, who sits in a basement office and is the keeper of all arcane equations and calculations for any government form. We rely heavily on Susan.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I kid, but even other federal agencies aren't getting clarity on how SAI is calculated or how to interpret it. It's making major issues for NSF/NIH funding that is intended for low-income students, since there's no longer any agreed on clarity on what that looks like.

SAI doesn't seem to have clear universal metrics for cutoffs: I'm seeing students who are Pell eligible with SAIs in the 6 figures, and students not Pell eligible with SAIs at $10k. It seems like the new metrics adjust for the poverty line to help account for high COL areas (officially, it seems to be 400% of the poverty line), but it's unclear what that looks like for a student with parents living in different places, or who lives in a different place than their parents.

Lots of questions, and very few answers at this point in time, especially with how to relate EFC to the new SAI figure.