FAFSA - Is medical school considered college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwillbeadoctor!94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As an independent, my household size is 1. I am no longer in college and am applying during my gap year. I was confused when I arrived at this question and have searched the internet for answers to no avail.

"How many people in your household will be in college in 2017-2018?"

Are medical schools considered to be "college" for this question? My answer will either be 1 or 0 based on this.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a trad student so idk how non trads do it, but I'm sure parental information is required unless you have your own family (married,domestic partnership, etc) so you would do it as if you were applying for FAFSA in undergrad

If you have been legally emancipated; or heaven forbid your parents have passed (I'm sorry if that's the case) then you would do that and I think the answer would be 1 if you include yourself

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm a trad student so idk how non trads do it, but I'm sure parental information is required unless you have your own family (married,domestic partnership, etc) so you would do it as if you were applying for FAFSA in undergrad

If you have been legally emancipated; or heaven forbid your parents have passed (I'm sorry if that's the case) then you would do that and I think the answer would be 1 if you include yourself

Thanks for your quick response! :) Actually, most medical schools do not require parental information. The FAFSA also considers you automatically to be "independent" if you are attending graduate school (my parents have not passed, but thank you for being sensitive). I guess my question still stands for anyone who knows for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your quick response! :) Actually, most medical schools do not require parental information. The FAFSA also considers you automatically to be "independent" if you are attending graduate school (my parents have not passed, but thank you for being sensitive). I guess my question still stands for anyone who knows for sure.

I know you don't have to put it for most schools but it may be helpful for getting NEED based scholarship if you would qualify. If it would not help at all then do what you please.

As an independent, my household size is 1. I am no longer in college and am applying during my gap year. I was confused when I arrived at this question and have searched the internet for answers to no avail.

"How many people in your household will be in college in 2017-2018?"

Are medical schools considered to be "college" for this question? My answer will either be 1 or 0 based on this.
I think I tried putting zero for this question and the system gave me an error. So basically the answer to your question is yes, medical school is considered "college".

Reactions: 1 users
I think this question either says "do not include yourself, the student" or "include yourself, the student." In this case, it's fairly obvious what you should do. Just look at the help section for that box and you should be able to see.

How to know if it is school or college? Everywhere I have to do my assignment I call school or college. It is easy to identify :)

Parental Information is not required for Medical School, because it's a graduate degree. Some schools will ask for it though if you want to be considered for need based grants. If you know that your parents make too much for you to get need based grants, then it really isn't worth the time to put it in.