FAFSA and The Price is Right

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedoctor8706

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm being a FAFSA gunner and getting it done early while I am thinking about it. But compared to last year, I am having trouble figuring out what to do when reporting income. I am going into my 3rd year of medical school this coming Summer.

Last June, my finance and I attended a special engaged couples taping of The Price is Right. Far from my wildest dreams, we got called down to play together, and ended up winning prizes valuing just north of $50,000. I'm not joking, search "my price was right loma linda" on YouTube and you'll see a video! Anyways, later in August we got married, and now it's bringing up questions on the FAFSA.

I know the winnings are taxable income, but do I need to report this on FAFSA? From a legal standpoint, the winnings are legally my wife's possession and her income, but there is a box asking for my spouse and my adjusted gross income; must I include our winnings in that calculation? Even though she claimed received income before we were married? How do I go about calculating the adjusted gross income?

And on top of that, do I need to report her full income for 2012, even though we just got married in August? There seems to be a box for it, but I'm confused why I need to state her full 2012 income, even though we just got married in August. My wife makes income, but hardly enough to support my educational expenses.

So am I going to be seeing a huge reduction in loans this year, based on our prize winnings and income? Will I still be able to pay tuition when my cost of attendance is around $65,000 for a year? Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to figure out your 2012 taxes, particularly whether you're filing separately, before you do the FAFSA.

If I file taxes separately, do I say I am single on the FAFSA? There doesn't seem to be an option for that. Also would filing separately be worth it in this case, as far as receiving aid? I understand all the benefits of filing jointly, but I don't want those to be offset if it takes away from loans to pay my school bill.

That's above my pay grade, sorry.