FAFSA and loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhyNeedAName

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been over a year since I was on SDN and I have a question... What happened to grad student loans? Like, I just did my FAFSA and I expect to see like, 40,000 (or whatever the max was since I have an EFC of 0)and I saw $20,000.... Can someone explain to me that I'm not hallucinating lolol

Members don't see this ad.

The way it usually works is you complete the regular FAFSA and then once that is accepted,
you apply for Federal Grad Plus loans for the additional amount necessary to cover your education.
The application cycle for the latter in 2020-2021 does not seem to be available yet.
Or is that not what you're referring to? I may have misunderstood your question.

The way it usually works is you complete the regular FAFSA and then once that is accepted,
you apply for Federal Grad Plus loans for the additional amount necessary to cover your education.
The application cycle for the latter in 2020-2021 does not seem to be available yet.
Or is that not what you're referring to? I may have misunderstood your question.
Thank you for your reply! I meant to say that federal student loans for graduate school reaches a maximum of around 40,000 for the past couple of years. I received that amount last year since my EFC is 0. I didn't need to file for Grad Plus because it covered tuition and equipment (I commute from home). This year, I redid my FAFSA for the next school year and the maximum was around 20,000. So, I don't know if anything major legislative has occurred, but if there was something that did happened, what was it? I now have to get a Grad Plus loan.