Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I've never, ever experienced tornados and they scare the bejezus out of me! I'm trying to imagine how to train my pets to go into the basement when tornado sirens sound off :oops:!

Don't worry, they are not as common in the Ohio area as you think! I've lived in KY for 10 yrs and OH for 13 years. During that time, I have only experienced 2 'bad' tornadoes in the surrounding areas I have lived in.

Last edited:
Actually, I swear the tornado sirens are what really scare me! They are end-of-the-world sounding, super loud, doomsday sort of sirens, and they'll come on in the lull of a thunderstorm, or when a really warm day has suddenly turned cold, and your heart just sort of lurches :eek:

During our first few months freshman year, we saw two tornadoes in the distance from the large foyer window of the vet school -- needless to say we were all freaked. People who leave their horses and dogs outside during the day always panic. But usually they happen at night... waking you up to get in the bathtub with your roomie and two dogs at 2am the night before your anatomy final... ;) Plus, a good percentage of vet students here live in trailers (not me, no way I'm getting sucked up in one of those things!)

Every sentence in this post is terrifying! OH MY GOODNESS. I would pass out before I ever made it to that bathtub.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every sentence in this post is terrifying! OH MY GOODNESS. I would pass out before I ever made it to that bathtub.

Hehe, you guys are so funny. :) I grew up in Kansas and have seen and been in my fair share of tornados. I remember one time when my dad was driving me and my brother home he pulled over because he saw a funnel cloud. We stood and admired it until a thin whisp started to make it's way to the ground. We got out of there quick, but saw another small tornado on the ground in the field to the left. Guess if that is what you grow up with, you get use to it. (Personally I wouldn't want to be in an earthquake though!)

Another crazy thing that happened while living in Kansas was the Flood of 97? (not quite sure if that was the exact year). Anyways, it was Halloween night and pouring outside! The next morning there was tons of flooding everywhere (which is extremely rare because Kansas is so stinking dry). The interesting part was that farther out of town where the road sat higher and then slopped down into a valley also became flooded-to the point that the water was even with the road. Sadly, a cow somehow got stuck in one of those trees in the valley and when the water went down it stayed there. It was dead of course, but for weeks afterwards we would drive by and there would be the dead, bloated cow in the tree. Weird.:eyebrow:

Okay, so what did I say yesterday?

P.P.S. Why are northerners so damn scared of tornadoes? It's not like they happen all the time! Lol.

And then I proceeded to pish-posh tornadoes in general. Well, someone must have a good sense of humor. This happened today...

Tornado in Oklahoma... in February...

And while I sat huddled in a closet with my husband and pets, listening to the hail on the roof and the tornado siren from our backyard, I thought... "Alright, this must be cosmic paybacks, or something."

On that note, I hereby withdraw all previous statements made about tornadoes and now agree that yes, they're real scurry. :eek:

I appreciate that twelvetigers! I was just watching the news and saw that story covered and was about to come on here and mention it, but you beat me to it!

We get tornadoes, too, but you can usually tell by the broadcaster's voice if it's gonna be a real problem. If they have the usual broadcaster speak going on, we don't care.

If they are saying, "We'll try to keep broadcasting while we move to the set in the basement," then we start to worry. Also, if they say they have a confirmed touch down within a mile of the house, we freak out.

I'd also love to hear more about Penn, especially if you chose it over a cheaper option and what factors helped you make that decision.

I'd also love to hear more about Penn, especially if you chose it over a cheaper option and what factors helped you make that decision.

I second that! Also: are there certain parts of Philly that are more dog-friendly (ie off leash dog parks etc)? And do Penn Vet students get a discount at the hospitals?

Cheers :love:

Anything about Illinois? I have my interview next week but I feel like I know nothing about the school compared to the others...

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love more info on LSU. It is my top pick, but I would like to know more before making the decision.

Reactions: 1 user
I second that! Also: are there certain parts of Philly that are more dog-friendly (ie off leash dog parks etc)? And do Penn Vet students get a discount at the hospitals?

Cheers :love:

I can answer some of this from living here and from the interview :D

There's a GREAT dog park in Fitler Square, it has separate gated areas for small and large dogs and it gets pretty busy when it's nice out... I went yesterday and there were a bunch of people there. It's called the Schuylkill River Dog Run, and the website is www.Phillyfido.net. That's also an awesome area to live, it's where we're hoping to move soon. Biking distance to Penn, walking distance to the free Drexel shuttle for students (Penn students can take it), but probably not close enough to walk to the school (it'd be quite a hike).

There is a discount for students at VHUP but idk how much. There's also free food for students :D

Starlene--they did mention a discount on my tour of the small animal hospital. I think they said free exams, and cheap vaccines, etc. It was still pretty early at that point though...and I was so excited I may be mistaken :)

Also, they have free Science Diet food and coupons for Purina. I wanted to ask about Eukanuba, but then felt like a dork, haha.

Starlene--they did mention a discount on my tour of the small animal hospital. I think they said free exams, and cheap vaccines, etc. It was still pretty early at that point though...and I was so excited I may be mistaken :)

Also, they have free Science Diet food and coupons for Purina. I wanted to ask about Eukanuba, but then felt like a dork, haha.

According to my last vet bill "As a Ryan Veterinary School faculty, staff or student your bill has been significantly discounted. The total charges have been discounted between 60% to 75% depending upon the specific services provided" Anyways, that's what the fine print says.

And I chose Penn over OSU, a cheaper option because Philly was a better place for my husband to find a job. When your vet school move involves 2 people, your SO's happiness is a very important factor. Especially considering I spend many of my evenings at school studying. Which is what I should be doing now...

According to my last vet bill "As a Ryan Veterinary School faculty, staff or student your bill has been significantly discounted. The total charges have been discounted between 60% to 75% depending upon the specific services provided" Anyways, that's what the fine print says.

And I chose Penn over OSU, a cheaper option because Philly was a better place for my husband to find a job. When your vet school move involves 2 people, your SO's happiness is a very important factor. Especially considering I spend many of my evenings at school studying. Which is what I should be doing now...

Hey TractorKid... time to change your status to Veterinary Student ;)

Off topic question, a few of us are trying to put together a night out for the whole class the weekend of orientation... any suggestions on places to go with that many people?

Oh, and I guess I count for that "choosing Penn out of state" thing too... although my in-state was Cornell, so $$ wasn't going to be an easy thing either way... I also chose it based on my husband's job requirements. Penn was among my top choices anyway (Penn & Cornell...) so it worked out. And the more I learn about Penn, the happier I am with my decision =)

Iams/Eukanuba was having financial problems and discounted their free feeding program my first year. I think OSU is the only school that sells those products at an extremely discounted rate (5 or 10 a bag).

For Purina, I believe Penn is the only school that still utilizes the coupons. All of the other schools have you order the food online and up to a 37.5 lb bag of dog food (smaller 20 lb bags for cats) per month will be delivered to your home address in 2-3 business days. Penn has opted for the coupons due to the fact that many students don't live in the best of areas and they didn't want the packages to sit on their doorstep and get stolen.

For Hills, at OSU there is an ordering window open once a month and then a 3 hour block of time for you to pick up the food you ordered later in the week. I believe you can get up to a 20 lb bag dog food or a smaller bag of cat food per month. I don't know how the Hills program extrapolates to other schools.

I can answer some of this from living here and from the interview :D

There's a GREAT dog park in Fitler Square, it has separate gated areas for small and large dogs and it gets pretty busy when it's nice out... I went yesterday and there were a bunch of people there. It's called the Schuylkill River Dog Run, and the website is www.Phillyfido.net. That's also an awesome area to live, it's where we're hoping to move soon. Biking distance to Penn, walking distance to the free Drexel shuttle for students (Penn students can take it), but probably not close enough to walk to the school (it'd be quite a hike).

There is a discount for students at VHUP but idk how much. There's also free food for students :D

Ahhh thank you so much!! I totally needed info on a part of town that is 1) awesome to live in, 2) not far from school, and 3) has a dog park. You hit the nail on the head!

Hmmmm the more I think about it, the more I want to go to Penn...... Can I hold out on a decision until I hear from Wisconsin??

Ahhh thank you so much!! I totally needed info on a part of town that is 1) awesome to live in, 2) not far from school, and 3) has a dog park. You hit the nail on the head!

Hmmmm the more I think about it, the more I want to go to Penn...... Can I hold out on a decision until I hear from Wisconsin??

Yw!! And I take back what I said about the Drexel bus actually... that bus is walking distance from where I live now... and I walk to the park now... but the two are actually further apart than the dog park and Penn are... lol. But I'm sure there's a real city bus that does that route if biking it isn't an option..

Anything about Illinois? I have my interview next week but I feel like I know nothing about the school compared to the others...

I'm sure you've seen through the website that Illinois has been implementing a LOT of changes and hiring faculty like it's going out of style (especially for the brand new chicago facility).

I did a thread on the curriculum change that started, last year.

You may want to look through the faculty and staff information to see if they have areas of interest that you may want to learn more about.

i was given a kick in the arse to get over to this thread, so i'll do what i can. i'm better at answering questions than writing paragraphs de novo, so you guys can feel free to PM me if you'd like.

ri23: we can chose either the coupons or the online delivery program for Purina. it's up to the student.

Ben and Me: in short, i chose Penn over what may have been a cheaper option (it wasn't by much though) because of New Bolton. i want to be a part of the phenomenal things that go on out there, i want to get my hands on as many equine patients as i can before i graduate, and i want to be a great veterinarian. that being said, here are some other great things off the top of my head:

PROs:
Room A
800 different lunch trunks to chose from within two blocks of the school.
New Bolton
Kennett Square
Dr. Richardson. incessantly mocks your less favorite (or favorite) classmates. and a phenomenal surgeon.
Room A
LUNCH TALKS
Laminitis research
Split campuses - huge and unique caseload in the city, huge and high profile caseload with beautiful, bucolic scenery just an hour away. not to mention just a five minute walk to ANYTHING during your first two and a half years when you're just taking classes.
Large Animal Block - i've nothing but STELLAR reviews from current 3rd years about the professors, clinicians, labs, etc this spring at NBC.
Dr. Sertich - i doubt anyone else enjoys teaching about mare's repro tracts so much.
Job/networking opportunities abound.
Student discount. cost of materials only for basics, otherwise, see TractorKid's post. discount not quite so great at NBC, but still very good.
Room A
Classmates. most of them are pretty amazing, and no, not snobby 'Penn-we's :)
General and Systemic Pathology.
CAL sites for histo and neuro
Audio recordings of every lecture
Big name. there, i said it: i love Penn because of the prestige. but we're still not snobby, lol.

CONs:
West Philly.
First year professors. in general, i dislike interacting with researchers.
A select few of my classmates.
West Philthy.
Clinical Pathology.

Last edited:
Emio, so I get the idea Room A is pretty awesome, but, uh, what is it?

well that's a good question! ha, sorry, i guess i was directing that post to students who have interviewed (i.e. toured) and are making a decision!

Room A is the original lecture hall of the vet school, since it's been at it's current location. every VMD that has ever graduated has sat IN THOSE CHAIRS. that's since 1887. at that time, every student, every professor, every faculty member could fit in that room. it's still the first room vet students have class in. the front wall used to be an aisle into the barns, in the days before new bolton. the professors would bring live specimens in from the barns to teach students anatomy.

the chairs are original. hell, i think the lighting might even be original, it's a little dark in there ;)

it's quite a historical place, and while it turns some people off, Penn is quite proud of their history, and it rubs off!

the only picture i can find online is on the second page on the right of the attached admissions brochure. sorry i can't find anything better! it's really quite a cool room.

Attachments

• admissions.pdf
    621.9 KB · Views: 453
Last edited:
Wow, I'm kind of surprised that Penn puts in big bold headlines in their admissions booklet that "every consideration is given to children of alumni, faculty, and staff." Never heard of a school advertising that before, for anything!

not meaning to bash on Penn, just...thought it surprising. I loved it when I visited there over winter break and it's a top choice for internship for me. :) (Just like a million other people!)

If I went to Penn, I'd damn sure be a snob about it! I'd figure I'd earned the right to act snobby if I like.

No offense Emio, you're nice. Lol.

lawl'ing. and you're right... those 'select few' i mentioned? definitely snobs.

don't be fooled... i'm only nice when i'm trying to get people to like me and my school! once you're here, you're screwed. muahahaha.

btw, totally kidding.

well that's a good question! ha, sorry, i guess i was directing that post to students who have interviewed (i.e. toured) and are making a decision!

Room A is the original lecture hall of the vet school, since it's been at it's current location. every VMD that has ever graduated has sat IN THOSE CHAIRS. that's since 1887. at that time, every student, every professor, every faculty member could fit in that room. it's still the first room vet students have class in. the front wall used to be an aisle into the barns, in the days before new bolton. the professors would bring live specimens in from the barns to teach students anatomy.

the chairs are original. hell, i think the lighting might even be original, it's a little dark in there ;)

it's quite a historical place, and while it turns some people off, Penn is quite proud of their history, and it rubs off!

the only picture i can find online is on the second page on the right of the attached admissions brochure. sorry i can't find anything better! it's really quite a cool room.

Every VMD until the class of 2012! We visited this room on our tour but were given none of the cool info about it (history major here, I eat that stuff up :p), and our first year said his class didn't use that room b/c they're too big. Not knowing the history behind it, I actually asked Mac what was up with that old dingy room during my interview, and jokingly said it must have historic value. That's when I got the scoop and felt silly lol... anyway he said classes from here on out are too big for the room... it fits 112, and they'll be inviting 125.... maybe I'll study in there and ask Dr. Orcini to come do a live demonstration for posterity's sake :D

Every VMD until the class of 2012! We visited this room on our tour but were given none of the cool info about it (history major here, I eat that stuff up :p), and our first year said his class didn't use that room b/c they're too big. Not knowing the history behind it, I actually asked Mac what was up with that old dingy room during my interview, and jokingly said it must have historic value. That's when I got the scoop and felt silly lol... anyway he said classes from here on out are too big for the room... it fits 112, and they'll be inviting 125.... maybe I'll study in there and ask Dr. Orcini to come do a live demonstration for posterity's sake :D

We have chalk talks in Room A dangit! I have sat in those chairs too!!! You'll have to tell me who your tour guide was so I can slap some sense into my classmate:slap:
It's just that we don't all fit in there at the same time. 80% of our chalk talks (that's anatomy dissection "prep" talks for those of you who are like "what is she talking about?") were in B101. The rest were in Room A, it was good for when they wanted us to be closer to whatever they were demonstrating that day.

I <3 Room A and its cool history and I <3 Penn and I'm not ashamed to say it :D

No, I'm pretty sure they're keeping classes in there. like tractorkid said, c/o 2012 is in there, just not at the same time. my class had 118 and we all fit, plus the anatomy professors.

mac knows more than i do, but he's at least mistaken on the 112 number. maybe i'll go in there and count, lol. i think i will!

and yeah... who gave you the dollar store version of the room A tour??

No, I'm pretty sure they're keeping classes in there. like tractorkid said, c/o 2012 is in there, just not at the same time. my class had 118 and we all fit, plus the anatomy professors.

mac knows more than i do, but he's at least mistaken on the 112 number. maybe i'll go in there and count, lol. i think i will!

and yeah... who gave you the dollar store version of the room A tour??

Haha let me know how the count turns out. And in that case, YAY Room A!! lol

Our tour guides were Mike E (first year) and I can't remember the girls name. They were both great though! I'm wondering if I was just still in a daze at this point (it was the first stop on the tour) and maybe they did cover all of that and i was too nervous/excited to listen lol.

ETA: Mac did say that they plan on turning that room into a museum. Idk how far in the future he was talking though.

hmm my tourguides Nathan K..? and a girl whose name I don't remember (yours was Mar though I think) also said that our class wouldn't be using the room and that it would be a museum. Who knows?

hmm my tourguides Nathan K..? and a girl whose name I don't remember (yours was Mar though I think) also said that our class wouldn't be using the room and that it would be a museum. Who knows?

Oh yea it was Mar, idk why I have such a hard time with that :D thx

lol just got your voicemail.... LAME!! Orcini is working it out for us so if not this weekend I think it'll happen next weekend, he was pretty open to any date we pick after this week.

And a lil FYI, I'm heading to the bookstore to buy my PennVet gear today... apparently there is a very small supply and it's running out... is that maybe the factor that pushes you over the edge and forces you to decide today?!?! If you wait any longer you may never get to own a Penn Vet shirt EVEN IF you matriculate to Penn!! :eek::confused::eek: I think you know what you have to do :D

Us PennWe's (and you) have totally hijacked this thread btw...

*cough*Starwrecker *cough* Noledevil...

There's a Rustysmom or something like that from Michigan... with a Calvin and Hobbes icon...

I'm hoping to encourage posts by outing people! :D

Lol...you know this forum's forumers waaay to well! :laugh:

You have the best icon of all though...I want your dog!! :D

Okay folks. Like it or not, here is what I have to say about NCSU.

Pros (in no particular order):
NCSU:
-small class size (80) (small anatomy groups--lots of cadaver time)
-TAU (teaching animal unit = farm) right behind school with beef cattle, dairy cows, goats, sheep, horses, pigs & poultry. it is REALLY nice to have such easy access to these guys-especially when they're all having cute babies (NOW!) also, the library looks out on the pastures.
-good cost of living
-can get in state tuition pretty easily after 1 year (IS tuition is CHEAP!--comparatively)
-anyone interested in research--this is a huge area for research-between the vet school, research triangle park, other institutions, it's pretty saturated.
-great weather-we had a week of 70 degree weather in jan/feb, and winter is shorter/much more milder than some other places i won't mention.
-good emergency load at the hospital
-BRAND NEW small animal hospital opening in early 2010 (or late 2009?) that will have state of the art everything.
-active clubs with lots of cool opportunities--pretty much anything you could want to do is happening, you just have to take advantage of it.
-option to do volunteer shifts in the ICU and intermediate wards on a regular basis
-a lot of integrating cases into teaching
-i have been pretty satisfied with the quality of instruction thus far (not in all cases, but mostly). also, i think the professors are pretty likeable--and in classes like anatomy where we are with them many hours a week, this is a plus.
-a lot of neat travel/international opportunities. cowabunga trip in the fall, manatee trip in the spring.
-great student funding for travel/externships
-pretty enthusiastic student body--a lot of people do a lot of activities
-opportunities like foal team/colic team/large and small animal treatment crew to make a little money and get hands on experience.
-LOTS of bakesales (tasty treats)
-cool "big sib" program designed so students get a lot of support from people who have been there before.
-i've been really impressed by the staff at the school-everyone is so supportive of students (for those who might have had a frigid vibe from student services in the application process, this is NOT THE CASE once you start)
-big lockers-can fit all kinds of crap in there.
-full semester of companion animal behavior--this is really useful & interesting

cons: (maybe they wouldn't be for someone else)
-the student body is more conservative than some schools
-no block schedule so tests tests tests...
-disconnect from the main NCSU campus makes using those facilities (like the gym kind of a hassle--kudos to the wisconsin vet school that has a gym across the street)
-sometimes seems like a kind of competitive environment
-i hate 8am class every day (though not quite as bad after first year--and we do get afternoons off sometimes)
-somewhat click-ish (i'm 5 years older than most of my classmates and some of them are downright junior-high like in their behavior)--but not everyone!
-no ambulatory large animal practice associated with the hospital-because we're somewhat urban, the concentration of nearby farms is ever dwindling
-not a big ruminant case load in the LA hospital
-not much equine sports med (for those so inclined--maybe go to MN?)

so as you can see, this list is definitely stacked. but i'm also a glass half-full type.
i hope this helps someone. feel free to ask questions if you are inspired to do so.

happy vet schooling.

Almost a year now. I do try and pay attention!

Chloe is a cutie patootie for sure... she's pacing in circles in the kitchen now. either she wants out or she's searching the floor for anything remotely edible. Hah.

I don't go to Wisconsin, but I did "almost" go...so I can maybe help for those desperate folks.

pros:
-gym across the street
-dairy medicine is HUGE
-great SA case load
-nice to have medschool + school of public health on one campus->collaboration
-uber friendly midwesterners
-stylish red lockers
-madison is an awesome town (best farmers market ever)
-less expensive OOS tuition (unless they are raising it now)
-lots of international programs
-hosting the SAVMA symposium in 2010. (should be fun)

cons:
-outdated/outgrowing facility--no plans to build
-cost of living isn't cheap (but not terrible)
-long winters
-anatomy lab is in the middle of the main area, so the fumes are kind of ever-present
-parking isn't possible
-can't get IS tuition for non-residents.
madison is an annoying airport to fly in/out of

this is getting ridiculous. BUT...

I FORGOT one of the greatest things about NCSU!!

a sort of con is that we start crazy early in august (aug. 12 in 2009), but there is a bigger pro:
FINALS are OVER before thanksgiving, and then we have two weeks of "selectives" (every semester) where you get to do/learn lots of cool things. this is an opportunity to try something totally different, or get experience in some cool specialty, or do an externship. you can also get credit for stuff during the semester and then just have extra vacation. trust me, it's nice.

I don't go to Wisconsin, but I did "almost" go...so I can maybe help for those desperate folks.

pros:
-gym across the street
-dairy medicine is HUGE
-great SA case load
-nice to have medschool + school of public health on one campus->collaboration
-uber friendly midwesterners
-stylish red lockers
-madison is an awesome town (best farmers market ever)
-less expensive OOS tuition (unless they are raising it now)
-lots of international programs
-hosting the SAVMA symposium in 2010. (should be fun)

cons:
-outdated/outgrowing facility--no plans to build
-cost of living isn't cheap (but not terrible)
-long winters
-anatomy lab is in the middle of the main area, so the fumes are kind of ever-present
-parking isn't possible
-can't get IS tuition for non-residents.
madison is an annoying airport to fly in/out of
Those red lockers has everyone's pet pics on them from the outside. That was kool.

this is getting ridiculous. BUT...

I FORGOT one of the greatest things about NCSU!!

a sort of con is that we start crazy early in august (aug. 12 in 2009), but there is a bigger pro:
FINALS are OVER before thanksgiving, and then we have two weeks of "selectives" (every semester) where you get to do/learn lots of cool things. this is an opportunity to try something totally different, or get experience in some cool specialty, or do an externship. you can also get credit for stuff during the semester and then just have extra vacation. trust me, it's nice.

Your posts about NCSU were much appreciated! I am pretty much sold on NCSU... It sounds like a pretty awesome place!