facial trauma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neutropeniaboy

Blasted ENT Attending
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone out there have any "landmark" papers (references) on management of

1. mandible fractures
2. maxillary fractures
3. orbital floor fractures

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Plastic surgery secrets has a brief and useful review of facial fractures. Perhaps their references could lead you to "landmark" papers.

neutropeniaboy said:
Does anyone out there have any "landmark" papers (references) on management of

1. mandible fractures
2. maxillary fractures
3. orbital floor fractures

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Edward Ellis has probably published the most papers on mandible fractures

USC2003 said:
Edward Ellis has probably published the most papers on mandible fractures
Definately. Ellis is my program director and he has over 100 articles on mandible fractures and quite a few on orbits and maxillas. Most of his orbital trauma articles are comparisons of different techniques. He gets a huge case series for his mandible studies because oral surgery treats every mandible fracture at our institution. You could do a PubMed search for him under Ellis E III. Some of his best stuff is from the late 1980s when rigid fixation was really becoming standard of care. Interestingly, he told me a few weeks ago that he has just about run out of ideas/topics to research on fractures.

Richard Haug from U of Cincinnatti also has a ton of literature on facial fractures.

toofache32 said:
Some of his best stuff is from the late 1980s when rigid fixation was really becoming standard of care.

Not to quibble, but rigid internal fixation isn't really the definative standard of care on facial or mandible fractures. It's a medico-legal doctrine implies that other techniques deviate from sound treatment. There are many times closed reduction of mandible or occasionally zygoma fractures are at least as effective. Semi-rigid fixation (which is similar but distinct from rigid fixation) with mini-plates is also frequently used in some mandible techniques.

It was pointed out to me before by some oral surgeons I've worked with that while theoretically superior, ORIF of the mandible with recon plates or dual-plate techniques is very unforgiving. Millimeters of error on your occlusion or reduction are forever when rigidly fixated, while there is signifigant greater tolerence for this error using MMF alone. While I favor ORIF most of the time, I've been impressed with the lack of occlusion related problems (which will torture you in your clinic) with closed reduction techniques.