F and two W's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

confusedstudent2195

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a junior that just changed my major to exercise science to do pre-med. I was in clinical nursing school last semester and there was a huge role conflict, lack of passion for nursing, and the decision that I wanted to pursue medicine through this nursing semester.

During this nursing semester I failed a pass fail dosage class (if you missed more than 2 problems you failed the test, if you fail a test you fail the course, so that's what happened I failed a test) and I also dropped an online health studies intro course during that semester because I didn't need the extra class. I finished that semester with a 3.0, and over all gpa of 3.67. I'm thinking of dropping a pathogenic bacteria class I took up this semester. It's a thorn in my side and without it I would still have 15 hours. The class is 3 hours and would free up a lot of time to excel in my other courses that I am taking this semester. I'm not doing terrible, but our first test is Thursday and if I don't do well I was going to consider dropping the course.

I'm involved in school, do regular service projects... definitely not a slacker.
Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Ws aren't a big deal, especially if they're not prereqs. The F will hurt your overall GPA, but can be fairly simple to explain. Again, helpful that it's not a prereq. Try not to have any more Ws from this point forward just to be safe.

Do well moving forward so that the F doesn't affect your GPA and doesn't look indicative of your abilities. Schools will ask on applications about any grades below C or Withdraws. So make sure you can simply and clearly explain the reason for those marks.

As said before the F will hurt your GPA but if you can keep your grades up from now on it will definitely serve in your favor and slightly offset it, another question that might rise to every adcom member is why you dropped out of nursing school, simply saying lack of passion doesn't really answer the question. For example, I dropped out xray tech 2 year program and my reasons were well explained one being, I wanted to have bigger role in my patient's well being..etc

Do well on the MCAT to show that you are serious about this transition.

I wouldn't recommend dropping the pathogenic class as it will be essential in medical school and dropping it will only raise question since it is a medical school related topic.

One last thing, now you must consider shadowing a physician, preferably in a variety of specialties to not only adcoms know that you are interested in medicine but you will also find out if this is what you truly want.

Hope this helped

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
As said before the F will hurt your GPA but if you can keep your grades up from now on it will definitely serve in your favor and slightly offset it, another question that might rise to every adcom member is why you dropped out of nursing school, simply saying lack of passion doesn't really answer the question. For example, I dropped out xray tech 2 year program and my reasons were well explained one being, I wanted to have bigger role in my patient's well being..etc

Do well on the MCAT to show that you are serious about this transition.

I wouldn't recommend dropping the pathogenic class as it will be essential in medical school and dropping it will only raise question since it is a medical school related topic.

One last thing, now you must consider shadowing a physician, preferably in a variety of specialties to not only adcoms know that you are interested in medicine but you will also find out if this is what you truly want.

Hope this helped

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The reason is definitely a lot more elaborate. The nurses role in healthcare wasn't the role that I wanted to have in patient care. I wanted to be more involved in the decision-making, and the duties required of doctor's appealed to me and interested me much more than nursing did. In class they made our role in patient care clear and they made the role of the doctor clear and each time they talked about it being a doctor became more and more of what I wanted to do. My exercise science curriculum is very involved with the human body and it fascinates me and being in nursing school for that one semester made me realize that this career will not satisfy my dreams.

I'm taking chem 1 and the lab, bio 2 and the lab, motor learning, exercise physiology, and the pathogenic bacteria class. Pathogenic bacteria class is something I took to further my interest in microbiology ... "just for fun" basically... (some regrets hahah). So if I dropped the class I will still have 6 other classes to juggle and my exercise physiology class is the hardest class in our curriculum, along with those other pre-reqs that I feel like need more of my attention. I'm hanging in the gap here...there's definitely pros and cons to dropping the class.

I think it depends on your overall GPA when you graduate. Ws aren't a huge deal as long as you don't get any more.

The reason is definitely a lot more elaborate. The nurses role in healthcare wasn't the role that I wanted to have in patient care. I wanted to be more involved in the decision-making, and the duties required of doctor's appealed to me and interested me much more than nursing did. In class they made our role in patient care clear and they made the role of the doctor clear and each time they talked about it being a doctor became more and more of what I wanted to do. My exercise science curriculum is very involved with the human body and it fascinates me and being in nursing school for that one semester made me realize that this career will not satisfy my dreams.

I'm taking chem 1 and the lab, bio 2 and the lab, motor learning, exercise physiology, and the pathogenic bacteria class. Pathogenic bacteria class is something I took to further my interest in microbiology ... "just for fun" basically... (some regrets hahah). So if I dropped the class I will still have 6 other classes to juggle and my exercise physiology class is the hardest class in our curriculum, along with those other pre-reqs that I feel like need more of my attention. I'm hanging in the gap here...there's definitely pros and cons to dropping the class.

Since you are taking a tough course load then you will definitely want to do better in the pre reqs and take the W. You definitely want it to be your last if at all possible. Overall do well on your pre reqs, do well on the MCAT and choose extracurriculars that you are genuinely interested in and they are related to medicine or just helping people in general, you'll learn a lot.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user