Eyes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

od101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello optometrists and future optometrists,

I have a biology degree and I did not begin my process yet of studying. I did not apply either. I was a good to average student in undergrad and I have a good amount of years working at an optical so I have experience. I have just a few bad grades in some important courses and I retook those. Is it honestly too late now to even begin studying? I know applying now immediately would be of my best interest. I know it’s not an easy process. Seeking genuine advice please and thank you. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I gave myself about 2.5 months to study and got a decent score. I was accepted into all 4 schools I applied to. If your GPA is above a 3.0 and you can get at least a 300 on the OAT, I'm sure you have really good chances to get in. That said, by the time you take the test for this cycle your application would be considered a bit late and the standard will increase. So unless you know you can crush the OAT after studying for no more than 2 months ( it goes over a lot of the basics of a bio degree) I would probably try to wait for next cycle.

I used the Kaplan study book and it had a, I think, 10 week plan. I followed that a bit loosely. ( fair warning, Kaplan's tests were much harder and very different from the actual thing, but I did end up doing 30 points better on the OAT in the end).

Overall if you really want to do it. Call and ask the schools the deadline for the OAT. Some will let you interview based on your application without an OAT. I know most schools said the bulk of their applications come in at the beginning of January and those are considered "on time". Then most Deadlines are in March-May. But also some schools said they recommended taking the OAT for the first time around Sept-OCT.

I hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user
Are you trying to get into an optometry school in the fall of 2022? If you are able to do well on practice tests and have an OAT test date within the next two-three months, then you should go for it and start studying. If you aren't confident, you should get your things together and wait for the following cycle to open in the summer for Fall 23. Applications and tests are serious business and you don't want to spend money on them just to half ass them to meet deadlines.

I got into school and I had graduated years prior to deciding on pursuing optometry. I ended up being a reapplicant and taking my OAT twice so that was a lot of money tossed because I dived into it worried about deadlines and wanting to get in ASAP. So really be sure that you are going to do well on the OAT and you can always explain your grades to the interviewer when given the chance. There's also letters of recommendations that can help support who you are and how you can be successful in the school's program.

if you have the will and resolve to study hard in a short timespan, you can definitely do it!