Eye Protection - COVID19

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tenken417

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently, we are only provided eye shields and masks with eye shields to protect from particles. If I'm not mistaken, we need a sealed option to protect our mucous membranes from the aerosolized viral particles.

What are you guys using?

Some of my partners are throwing out ideas, which include scuba goggles and chemistry lab goggles. Do the vents on these goggles defeat the purpose?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently, we are only provided eye shields and masks with eye shields to protect from particles. If I'm not mistaken, we need a sealed option to protect our mucous membranes from the aerosolized viral particles.

What are you guys using?

Some of my partners are throwing out ideas, which include scuba goggles and chemistry lab goggles. Do the vents on these goggles defeat the purpose?
Same problem here...

We are a major ortho center. We are currently using Stryker Ortho hoods over N95 masks, in addition, to gowns, gloves, and booties. We have a PAPR, but most aren't using because it is cumbersome to don, and really makes peripheral vision and communication difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
We are a major ortho center. We are currently using Stryker Ortho hoods over N95 masks, in addition, to gowns, gloves, and booties. We have a PAPR, but most aren't using because it is cumbersome to don, and really makes peripheral vision and communication difficult.
What kind of cases are you doing?

Are y’all talking about PPE for doing procedures on known/suspected patients or ALL patients?

What have hospitals done with regards to potentially having to operate on COVID patients in positive pressure ORs? Our OR airflow cannot be easily reversed to negative flow.

Any solution besides intubating in separate negative pressure area and then moving the patient?

Apparently PAPRs aren't approved for OR use by the AORN. :rolleyes: