Extracurriculars vs GPA/MCAT and Med School Admissions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjmiller

Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice about my extracurriculars and my chances of getting into medical school. I've had some gaps and weak extracurriculars that I feel the admission board will use against my commitment to help people/medicine and roundedness as an individual.

This is my resume or life history abridged version:

Bachelor in biology, 4.0 gpa (from a low tier college, nothing fancy). Jan '16 - Jan '19
Did some research in undergrad, but it was nothing impressive. It was researching antibacterial effects of pomegranate juice and white tea on a variety of bacteria.

Virtually no volunteering.

In Jan of '19, I had an exacerbation of an undiagnosed chronic illness that I have been dealing with for a very long time before and after that, so I didn't do anything till Summer of '20 where from then till Nov '20 where I was a medical scribe at an ED.

I had another exacerbation in Nov of '20 where I gave up on medicine since there was no way I would be physically and mentally be ready for such a rigorous path. I did nothing till Jan of '22 when I was finally diagnosed and started treatment. I have basically recovered from this illness since then.

End of Jan '22 I joined a nursing program since I was not physically or mentally ready to do medical school before then and I still needed to do something with my life and I have always envisioned myself working in health care.

Bachelor in nursing, 3.90 gpa. Jan '22 - Dec '22 (It was an accelerated 11-month nursing program).
I am currently studying for the nursing license and hope to start working as a nurse soon.

But I still want to practice medicine as a physician. I have very little shadowing experience in undergrad and after undergrad, with the exception of scribing for a few months in an emergency department, minimal research and volunteering experience.

Assuming I get a 90th percentile on the MCAT, will my GPAs and limited extracurriculars suffice for the medical school admissions team to be accepted?

Thanks in advance.

(Sorry for stringing you on all these random details, but I just want to give as much context as possible.)

Members don't see this ad.

The main difficulty with that would be convincing admissions why you want to pursue being a physician instead of staying in your current career. You saying you want to is not reason enough.