This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

derronyu95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently talked to my pre-med advisor at school about my chances of getting into Med School. I showed her a list of my extracurriculars and she said I was missing a big chunk of activities that showed "Service Orientation". She told me that I should take a year or two off and do something that was in that field, like TFA or the Peace Corps. What do you all think?

Here is a list of my extracurriculars:
Freshman Year:
Leadership Program (ELP)
Revelle Programming Board
Research Summer Intern

Sophomore Year:
Varsity Rowing Team
Hospital Volunteer
Revelle Programming Board
Shadowed an oncologist (summer)

Junior Year (Present):
I dropped the UCSD crew team because I felt that it limited my time and I wasn't able to fully pursue what I wanted.
Hospital Volunteer (Lead Volunteer at Urgent Care)
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Business Org (Operations Committee)
Assistant Swim Coach
In the summer:

I shadowed doctors in Spain for 5 weeks.

Senior Year:
VP of Operations for Business Org.
Undergraduate Research Assistant
Assistant Swim Coach (Run my own groups and practices)
Leadership Program (Team Leader)

Members don't see this ad.

Need to see your stats (GPA and MCAT) to know how competitive you are for med school.
I suggest checking out Hospice. ADCOMS seem to love that sort of experience.

Need to see your stats (GPA and MCAT) to know how competitive you are for med school.
I suggest checking out Hospice. ADCOMS seem to love that sort of experience.

My GPA is a 3.7 and my MCAT is a 510. It's my senior year, is it already too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
My GPA is a 3.7 and my MCAT is a 510. It's my senior year, is it already too late?
No. You've got six months to get this done before putting in an application next June. Start a service activity (does not have to be clinical/medical if you will have sufficient clinical volunteering hours in through other means and what you do serves an underserved population) now, put in a decent amount of hours as regularly as you can, put it on your application as a continuing activity with expected future hours, be prepared to discuss how it has affected you and what you have learned from it.

Reactions: 1 user
You have some good ECs... Pick up something like homeless shelter volunteering, hospice, or something and try to get 60 + hours from now-June/July and continue it through the app cycle.. You should be okay

Reactions: 1 users