Extracurricular Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cacahuetes757

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I am a reapplicant who is preparing to apply this coming cycle for Fall 2023 matriculation. I have new space in my schedule for an additional extracurricular activity on the weekends, and am unsure of which to pursue to maximize my chances of an acceptance. I have an opportunity to work at a restaurant, but I am debating whether I should use my time to accumulate more volunteer hours instead. Here is what my application looked like when I submitted it last cycle for 2021 matriculation:

1. cGPA: 3.94, sGPA: 3.98
  2. MCAT: 520 (129/128/132/131)
  3. State of residence: NY
  4. Race/ethnicity: ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: Top 50
  6. Clinical experience: 100 hrs at local hospital. (most meaningful)
  7. Research experience: 1000 hrs through a summer internship, 300 from working in a lab at my university. No posters/publications.
  8. Shadowing experience: 70 hrs, various specialties in an underserved area.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 50 hrs through my fraternity raising money/awareness for the American Cancer Society. Also listed 15 hrs through Big Brothers Big Sisters.
  10. Other extracurricular activities: Started a student organization at my university related to veganism and plant-based nutrition (most meaningful). Several leadership positions within my fraternity. Also listed two of my hobbies: cooking (most meaningful) and meditation. Worked as an MCAT tutor during my gap year. Also listed a summer job at a restaurant.
During my last gap year, in addition to some tutoring, I have 900 more hours of non-clinical volunteering through a program called WWOOF and about 70 more clinical volunteering hours. During my current gap year I am serving in a clinical position through AmeriCorps and will have 1700 hours by the time the position ends in July. I am not sure whether this AmeriCorps position would count as clinical volunteer or clinical paid employment.

I would like to accept the restaurant job since I would be able to save more money and I love working with people. I also feel it would teach me skills that would be very valuable as a physician. However my #1 priority is definitely getting an acceptance so I am certainly open to doing more volunteering instead. I would likely not have time to work at the restaurant and also volunteer regularly, although if I take the job I would definitely try to volunteer at my local hospital sporadically, on holidays for instance. My decision also depends on whether AmeriCorps counts as volunteering or not.

TL;DR: Reapplicant unsure of whether to gain more paid employment experience, clinical volunteering, or non-clinical volunteering. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I don't know if AmeriCorps would count as clinical volunteering but IMO it doesn't really matter because it's a clinical activity for an altruistic purpose even if it's paid. Also, my opinion is that if you have sufficient clinical experience + nonclinical volunteering, clinical volunteering is not necessary - many friends of mine who have had 1000+ hours of scribing + plenty of service have gotten into multiple medical schools. I feel like the decision would really depend on how much you need the money.

Also, I looked up WWOOF and although it's great that you've gotten that many hours with them, what is your exact role? Because to me, volunteering with agricultural homestays, although important, would not necessarily get the same reaction that volunteering with the underserved would so I think that you should think about potentially adding a different kind of nonclinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is WWOOF, and what did you do in it?

What exactly will you be doing in Americorps?
WWOOF stands for Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms. I lived and volunteered at small organic farms across the country. Tasks included basic farm work including weeding, planting, harvesting, as well as working at farmers' markets. The purpose of the program is to support sustainable agriculture and help provide affordable produce for local communities. One farm I worked on focused on growing vegetables solely for donation to a local food pantry.

For one project I am working on through AmeriCorps, I conduct eye exams on patients to screen for retinopathy. Another project involves leading weekly exercise/nutrition classes for obese children. I also assist at weekly COVID vaccine/testing events.

WWOOF stands for Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms. I lived and volunteered at small organic farms across the country. Tasks included basic farm work including weeding, planting, harvesting, as well as working at farmers' markets. The purpose of the program is to support sustainable agriculture and help provide affordable produce for local communities. One farm I worked on focused on growing vegetables solely for donation to a local food pantry.

For one project I am working on through AmeriCorps, I conduct eye exams on patients to screen for retinopathy. Another project involves leading weekly exercise/nutrition classes for obese children. I also assist at weekly COVID vaccine/testing events.
Honestly, the WWOOF sounds good if you want to be a farmer, but doesn't do much for me in convincing me of your altruism in helping others, especially those less fortunate that yourself.