This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ynRNtoMD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 28 yo, part time registered nurse in med surge, have been the chair for a safety committee at work, did research with an MD at the hospital (but my school wants me to do lab research with faculty member so they are not counting that research) I just started training in a lab but I am not doing anything it feels like a waste of my time. I am worried because I am applying next year and I haven't found any community service, I am taking the MCAT this august and also taking orgo lab 2 this summer. I am getting interviewed for my committee letter this fall and I don't know if getting volunteering hours its even worth it at this point. my pre med advisor keeps telling me I'm running out of time but the truth is that between work and school I barely have time to do anything else. I have a 3.5 overall and 3.3 science. I haven't met any other nurses who are transitioning and I'm starting to think I'm crazy for wanting to go to med school.

Members don't see this ad.

With your GPA and ECs so far your in line for mid-tier/low-tier MD and DO schools and I don't think (someone can correct me if wrong) that research is going to be make/break factor in your situation. You do have an entire year to find something you enjoy doing. Volunteering in some capacity would seem to fill your app in well, possibly shadowing a couple hours of primary care.

Reactions: 1 user
You're not crazy for wanting to go to med school. I agree with Blanky that research isn't going to be a big factor in your app. Obviously, it won't hurt if you have it but it also won't hurt if you don't have it. Your lack of community service on the other hand is a big factor that could hurt you. True, some people get into med school with little to no community service, but those people tend to be very research-focused applying to research-focused schools and they also have some other thing (whatever it is) that's special on their app.

At this point, you really need to find at least one worthwhile community service activity and do it regularly through your application cycle and also try to bring up your sGPA. The activity doesn't have to be a huge time commitment, it can be as little as 3 hours a week.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you guys, I just started volunteering at my local church and have been training in a confocal microscope room to hopefully start doing research soon. Also in the process of finishing a cancer research workshop. :)