Extortion by the AOA? Membership required for board certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWBD

Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Because I am ACGME-boarded this doesn't affect me, but I was not aware up to now that this was AOA policy. Yet another reason to forego AOA training and board certification...

If you are currently an AOA Board Certified DO, it is a requirement to be a member in good standing with the AOA in order to maintain your certification status. On Oct. 2, 2010, the AOA Bureau of Membership will meet to consider taking action on suspended members that could result in inactivation of your board certification. To avoid any interruption it is pertinent that your dues are current for each fiscal year.

The AOA serves as your professional family throughout your career, allowing you access to expert materials, professional publications and all of the resources you need to manage your professional development: Continuing Medical Education, board certification, coding and reimbursement, and many other member benefits. As an AOA member, this information can be easily accessed on DO-Online, or you may contact the AOA at any time for personalized assistance.​

Members don't see this ad.

I knew that maintaining lifelong membership was required for those who took advantage of resolution 42, but I had no idea that those who trained at AOA programs were subject to the same requirement. The AOA and osteopathic profession as a whole is shooting itself in the metaphorical foot with policies that attempt to force allegiance to our "osteopathic family." I'm grateful for my osteopathic education. I chose to attend a DO school and I'm proud of my (future) degree and training. I'd like to continue my involvement in the profession but policies like this make it unnecessarily difficult to do so.

ACGME trained and certified DOs are limited as to which positions they can hold in COM's and AOA training programs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you must also be an AOA member to participate in DOCare missions. :wtf:

The AOA is losing its best and brightest to allopathic training. It's sad.

Reactions: 1 user
I knew that maintaining lifelong membership was required for those who took advantage of resolution 42, but I had no idea that those who trained at AOA programs were subject to the same requirement. The AOA and osteopathic profession as a whole is shooting itself in the metaphorical foot with policies that attempt to force allegiance to our "osteopathic family." I'm grateful for my osteopathic education. I chose to attend a DO school and I'm proud of my (future) degree and training. I'd like to continue my involvement in the profession but policies like this make it unnecessarily difficult to do so.

ACGME trained and certified DOs are limited as to which positions they can hold in COM's and AOA training programs. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you must also be an AOA member to participate in DOCare missions. :wtf:

The AOA is losing its best and brightest to allopathic training. It's sad.

You have to be an AOA member in good standing at the time of application (and consideration) for Resolution 42. Once approved, there is no requirement to maintain AOA membership for Resolution 42.

For AOA Board Certification - it's not a new policy unfortunately that AOA membership is required to maintain board certification. I also don't like how the AOA, through their journals (JAOA or The DO) tout increase AOA membership as evidence of "support" for the AOA, especially when you have policy that requires membership.

I am an AOA member by choice but I'm glad I have the option of leaving the AOA whenever I want in protest. My colleagues who are in or completed an AOA residency/fellowship do not have that option.

As for DOCare, I don't know if AOA membership is required or not. I will defer to someone else who knows more about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I knew that maintaining lifelong membership was required for those who took advantage of resolution 42,

You have to be an AOA member in good standing at the time of application (and consideration) for Resolution 42. Once approved, there is no requirement to maintain AOA membership for Resolution 42.

Group_theory is correct.

I have never been so happy to be in a dually accredited program. While I am expected to take both sets of boards, I can maintain certification in either or both.

AOA is so out of touch. They are trying to bully folks into falsely inflating their numbers. I predict it will eventually backfire.

If you are currently an AOA Board Certified DO, it is a requirement to be a member in good standing with the AOA in order to maintain your certification status. On Oct. 2, 2010, the AOA Bureau of Membership will meet to consider taking action on suspended members that could result in inactivation of your board certification. To avoid any interruption it is pertinent that your dues are current for each fiscal year.

Woah, that is flat out extortion.

I wonder if anyone is considering to sue them, that's dangerously close to extortion.

So I got an email from the university that had in bold saying that AOA membership was required as part of the PGY1 program. I took it with stride and paid the $60 dollars to make the university GME happy. It is after all an AOA program.

And now I read this and, while I am no attorney, I have to confess that this is very close to extortion.

I am a PGY1 and it costed $60, but for someone who is an attending - how much would this cost?

So I got an email from the university that had in bold saying that AOA membership was required as part of the PGY1 program. I took it with stride and paid the $60 dollars to make the university GME happy. It is after all an AOA program.

And now I read this and, while I am no attorney, I have to confess that this is very close to extortion.

I am a PGY1 and it costed $60, but for someone who is an attending - how much would this cost?

Don't most DO residencies include AOA fees as a part of their benefits? I've been seeing a lot of residency websites for applicants in the resident forums and AOA membership always seems as a part of it along with the applicable professional organizations.

For Fiscal Year 2011
$550 special enrollment rate for DOs in practice four or more years
$488 for active US Military/PHS/VA
$488 for DOs in third year of practice
$325 for DOs in second year of practice
$163 for DOs in first year of practice
$66 for full-time DO interns and residents​
$99 for DOs who are fully retired

If you are board certified by the AOA, you need to pay an additional $65 fee

The AOA Membership Year begins on June 1 and ends on May 31
http://www.do-online.org/pdf/mem_memapp.pdf

The requirement for membership in the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) is 120 CME hours. Of this total, 30 CME credits must be obtained in Category 1-A, and the remaining 90 credit hours of the CME requirement may be satisfied with either Category 1-A, 1-B, 2-A, or 2-B credits.

Some states require AOA Category 1A CME credits to maintain licensure.

http://www.do-online.org/index.cfm?PageID=cme_guidereqs2010

AOA Category 1-A credits will be granted to attendees for formal educational programs designed to enhance clinical competence and improve patient care. These programs must be sponsored by an AOA-accredited Category 1 CME sponsor and are limited to:

Formal Osteopathic CME
Formal Osteopathic CME consists of formal face-to-face programs that meet the Category 1 quality guidelines and faculty requirements and are sponsored by AOA-accredited Category 1 CME sponsors.

Osteopathic Medical Teaching
Physicians who deliver formal osteopathic medical education in a didactic format are eligible to receive Category 1-A credit on an hour-for-hour basis. Methods of such education are limited to:
Formal delivery of osteopathic medical education lectures in colleges of osteopathic medicine,
Formal delivery of osteopathic medical education to students, interns, residents, and staff of AOA-approved healthcare facilities. Teaching credit must be submitted by the CME Department of an AOA-accredited Category 1 CME college of osteopathic medicine or Category 1 CME sponsoring hospital.

Standardized Federal Aviation Courses
The Federal Aviation Administration "Aviation Medicine" course and the United States Army "Flight Surgeon Primary Course" are eligible for Category 1-A credit.

Federal Programs
AOA Category 1-A credit will be awarded for formal CME programs to participants who are on active duty or employed by a uniformed service. Category 1-B will be awarded to all other federal CME activities.

Grand Rounds
Grand rounds will be considered for AOA Category 1-A credit when submitted as a series of at least three programs, as opposed to being submitted on a lecture-by-lecture basis. The Category 1 CME Sponsor must meet the Accreditation Requirement to award AOA Category 1-A credit.

Faculty Development Programs
Faculty development programs will be granted Category 1-A credit up to a maximum of 15 credits per CME cycle and Category 1-B credity for any excess credits if sponsored by an AOA-accredited Category 1 CME sponsor and meet the 1-A faculty/hours requirement.

Judging Osteopathic Clinical Case Presentations and Research Poster Presentations
Osteopathic physicians serving as formal judges for osteopathic clinical case presentations and research poster presentations at a formal CME function will be awarded AOA Category 1-A credits on an hour-for-hour basis up to a maximum of 10 credits per AOA 3-year CME cycle.

Noticed how none of the ACCME credits counts towards AOA Category 1A CME credits. So even if you attend large national conferences (eg., ACP, AAP, etc) or attend grand rounds regularly at medical school or hospitals (and earn ACCME credits), it doesn't count towards AOA Category 1A (they do count towards the AOA Category 1B credits).

*The AOA really makes it hard for those who were trained in ACGME programs, who afterwards are involved in academic medicine at MD institutions, to maintain membership in the AOA - you basically have to attend the national AOA, or regional AOA (ROME), or state osteopathic conferences every 2-3 years - above your other requirements (hospital grand rounds, national society meetings, etc) - just to earn enough 1A credits to maintain AOA membership.

For Fiscal Year 2011
$550 special enrollment rate for DOs in practice four or more years
$488 for active US Military/PHS/VA
$488 for DOs in third year of practice
$325 for DOs in second year of practice
$163 for DOs in first year of practice
$66 for full-time DO interns and residents​
$99 for DOs who are fully retired

If you are board certified by the AOA, you need to pay an additional $65 fee

For perspective:

Dues required to "maintain" board certification for ABMS-certified MDs and DOs: $0.00.

Curious question (being completely legit)

Is the AMBS affiliated with the AMA in the same sense that the AOA is affiliated with BC in Osteo fields? If not, is the AMA free to join or do they require dues as well??

Members don't see this ad :)

Is the AMBS affiliated with the AMA in the same sense that the AOA is affiliated with BC in Osteo fields? If not, is the AMA free to join or do they require dues as well??

At the present time, the AMA is primarily a political organization, not an academic one. Even if there is an "affiliation" between the ABMS and the AMA, it is not compulsory to pay annual dues to either organization, nor maintain membership in them, in order to maintain board certification status.

I didn't have any ill feelings toward staying the AOA route until now. Grrr. :(

Remember that they're always dually accredited programs. That said, I do like some AOA residencies, but the sheer requirement of having to join and pay in is terrible.

At the present time, the AMA is primarily a political organization, not an academic one. Even if there is an "affiliation" between the ABMS and the AMA, it is not compulsory to pay annual dues to either organization, nor maintain membership in them, in order to maintain board certification status.

Agree. The AMA is primarily a political/professional organization and has nothing to do with board certification.

The professional organizations (American College of Physicians, American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Surgeons, American College of Physicians, etc) have nothing to do with board certifications (but they do award fellowships or recognitions if you have board certifications). The American College of Physicians have no relationship with the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM). You do not have to be a member of ACP to maintain ABIM Certification. Same goes with pediatrics (AAP and ABP), surgery (ACS and ABS).

From The AOA Daily Report
http://blogs.do-online.org/dailyreport.php?itemid=50791
AOA Membership Report Released

September 28, 2010
The most recent AOA membership report shows that the AOA has reached a total of 36,363 members as of 9/24/10. This number is an increase of 950 members since last week, yet is 197 fewer members than we had at the same time last year. It also represents 91.2% of our budgeted dues revenue and a market share of 48.9% of all DO. As we strive for a market share of 60% (which will require a membership of 44,471 DOs), AOA staff has launched a recruitment and retention campaign, known as the "Welcome Home 2010" campaign, that will target DOs in ACGME training programs and seek to widen the official family.

I'm sure charging DOs $550 plus requiring 30 AOA 1A credits per cycle (and not counting ACCME/AMA PR Category 1 credits towards the 1A requirements), with no tangible benefits besides "it's for the overall good of the profession" will recruit lots of DOs in ACGME trianing (or who have completed ACGME training and are boarded by ABMS):rolleyes:. I'm still a member of the AOA (while in ACGME training) but I will have a hard time as an attending justifying paying $550/year plus attending an AOA sponsored conference every 2 years JUST to maintain membership (when I have other competing organizations that want their dues too and want their CME credits for me to maintain relevant board certification). That $550/year + cost of AOA conference can go towards paying down my student loans. Where is the AOA in taking a stance against rising tuition? Where was the AOA when Congress got rid of economic deferral? Where was the AOA when Congress fixed medical student loans at 6.8%? Where is the AOA when it comes to medmal reforms? Why wasn't the AOA proactive when Newsweek published "Hero MD" (why not a proactive approach instead of waiting until it is published and distributed nationwide before it responded - missed a HUGE PR opportunity)? Where is the AOA in helping battle the encroachment of independent midlevel providers? Where is the AOA in making sure new quality residencies are created for the dramatic expansions of DO students? Where is the AOA in ensuring each AOA-accredited schools have quality rotations for their students? Where is the AOA in educating the public about DOs (again, missed a huge PR opportunity with the newsweek HeroMD)

Why should I spend $550/year + cost of AOA conference every 2-3 years (registration cost of $495 for members) where I get no tangible benefits? I'm still getting continuing education from grand rounds (I get AMA PR 1 credits but apparently not good enough for the AOA), and national specialty conferences (again, AMA PR 1 credits but not good enough for the AOA)

I'm still a member because the cost is reasonable ($60-70) and as a resident/fellow in training, I don't have to worry about CME to maintain membership. I also feel that I belong to the osteopathic community and should be a member of that community. But once I'm done training, I'll have a hard time justifying the cost of AOA membership just to "belong to the community" - remember, I will also have my ABMS board certification to maintain (MOC), and likely membership in my specialty college - all of which requires $$$ (oh yeah, there's also paying off my student loans and finally LIVING my life that I have put on hold).

If the AOA truly wants to recruit or retain DOs in ACGME residencies or completed ACGME residencies in their Welcome Home 2010 campaign, their target is someone like me or my fellow colleagues. And I want more than lip services and general vagueness if they want my hard earn $$$

Last edited:
I'm a DO psychiatrist trained at an MD residency. I am not an AOA member nor am I osteopathic board certified for one major reason: I could not afford it! As it is, I have to shell out about 2 grand each year to simply maintain the minimum CMEs to keep my license active. $1400 for real education, and $600 of it I see as an extension to my license renewal fee: My state requires 50 cme's per year, 20 of which have to be AOA approved. Since AOA cme is wallet-wrenchingly expensive and in no way related to my field, I just find the closest event, donate my cash, sign in, and.. well you get the picture. There are no options for online cme's for DOs (unless you're an AOA member!). So I guess my word of warning to any students out there is to think about this if you plan on going into a specialty. Now, to be fair, I feel optimistic about the future, because with the growing number of osteopaths and the increasing angry demand on the AOA CME department there will be some kind of reform. And believe it or not I went to a DO school by choice, not by default, because of my relatively holistic viewpoints which dovetailed beautifully with the osteopathic way of thought. I don't regret the DO education at ALL!!! I am just disappointed in, and a tad ashamed of, the quality of the continuing education for DO's now. If the quality of DO CME continues the way it is then there will be a good reason for people to have some kind of stereotyped idea that MD's are 'superior' to DO's. Annoying!

I am a diplomate of both the ABR and AOBR and maintain an active AOA membership. Why? You ever rotate with a DO that will only refer to another DO in the AOA member handbook, even if you are 30 miles away?? I learned in medical school that some DOs will not refer out of a small "network" of approved AOA providers.

If I gain 1 pt/year in referrals, it will more than pay for annual AOA dues.

My fees are: annual ACR, AOCR,AOA, ABR, biannual medical license renewal, 2 trips/year for CME. Being a physician is not cheap, however, the networking that comes with being a member of the different societies is worth than annual cost of memberships.

I thought they revised this?

Which state is this, if you don't mind me asking?
Sorry for the delayed reply! I was working in the state of Ohio at the time I posted that but I relocated back to AZ because I could not keep up with the CME requirements in Ohio. Unfortunately AZ also requires a minimum of 24 AOA Cat 1A CMEs every two years, and once again, since I"m a psychiatrist the AOA 1A's are unhelpful for my career knowledge upkeep so I just independently read psychiatry journals etc. Fortunately there are now online AOA Cat 1A CMEs starting to sprout in a few places so I just do online grand rounds through UNT Health Sciences Center (UNTHSC) which are free, thank goodness! I am more than willing to pay for psychiatry CMEs but I guess they're not interested in my money. Lol!

Good ol' AOA, making one last cash grab before they close down their doors. God knows no one is going to bother having an AOA membership 20 years from now after all the freshly trained ACGME DOs start graduating.

Sorry for the delayed reply! I was working in the state of Ohio at the time I posted that but I relocated back to AZ because I could not keep up with the CME requirements in Ohio. Unfortunately AZ also requires a minimum of 24 AOA Cat 1A CMEs every two years, and once again, since I"m a psychiatrist the AOA 1A's are unhelpful for my career knowledge upkeep so I just independently read psychiatry journals etc. Fortunately there are now online AOA Cat 1A CMEs starting to sprout in a few places so I just do online grand rounds through UNT Health Sciences Center (UNTHSC) which are free, thank goodness! I am more than willing to pay for psychiatry CMEs but I guess they're not interested in my money. Lol!

This might be an SDN record for valid necrobumps. Five years, hot damn.

Got an email today saying the Class action lawsuit against AOA is moving forward...
I got a letter in the mail about 5 weeks extolling the virtues of AOA certification. It also said that the AOA is in the process if "uncoupling" board certification from membership dues. Then it told me to pay up because it's next going in to effect for another year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

I got a letter in the mail about 5 weeks extolling the virtues of AOA certification. It also said that the AOA is in the process if "uncoupling" board certification from membership dues. Then it told me to pay up because it's next going in to effect for another year.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile
The aoa will have dramatically less leverage after the merger and will need to demonstrate value as opposed to just power

The aoa will have dramatically less leverage after the merger and will need to demonstrate value as opposed to just power
They have no value. Hopefully they are completely gone in 2020.

Reactions: 6 users
The AOA will not go away imo. They have a nice income stream from the growing number of schools they have accredited.

American Osteopathic Association* Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (AOA-COCA) Web: www.osteopathic.org
Applicant Status A completed feasibility study and application fee of $32,000 shall accompany a request for review of application during applicant status for a new College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM) or for a Branch Campus of an existing COM.
Pre-Accreditation Status Fee to be charged each year a new COM is awarded pre-accreditation status: $21,081
Provisional Status Fee to be charged each year a new COM is awarded provisional status is $40,281
Full Accreditation The Accreditation Fee to be charged each year to each fully Accredited COM and each Branch Campus and/or Additional Locations is $35,281

On-Site Evaluation The direct cost of all on-site accreditation visits is re-billed to the COM.
http://www.chea.org/userfiles/uploads/accreditation_fees_directory-final.pdf

Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Web: www.lcme.org
The LCME does not collect dues or charge fees for accreditation services, except for schools requesting initial, provisional accreditation. The operating funds for the LCME are allocated by the AAMC and AMA sponsors from their dues and other income. Costs related to accreditation are equally split between the AAMC and AMA Secretariats of the LCME.

Reactions: 3 users
The AOA will not go away imo. They have a nice income stream from the growing number of schools they have accredited.

American Osteopathic Association* Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (AOA-COCA) Web: www.osteopathic.org
Applicant Status A completed feasibility study and application fee of $32,000 shall accompany a request for review of application during applicant status for a new College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM) or for a Branch Campus of an existing COM.
Pre-Accreditation Status Fee to be charged each year a new COM is awarded pre-accreditation status: $21,081
Provisional Status Fee to be charged each year a new COM is awarded provisional status is $40,281
Full Accreditation The Accreditation Fee to be charged each year to each fully Accredited COM and each Branch Campus and/or Additional Locations is $35,281

On-Site Evaluation The direct cost of all on-site accreditation visits is re-billed to the COM.

Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) Web: www.lcme.org
The LCME does not collect dues or charge fees for accreditation services, except for schools requesting initial, provisional accreditation. The operating funds for the LCME are allocated by the AAMC and AMA sponsors from their dues and other income. Costs related to accreditation are equally split between the AAMC and AMA Secretariats of the LCME.

Some smart "maneuvering" by the folks in charge could argue that that is effectively extortion. Then another smart person could argue "Why do we have MD and DO if one organization extorts money to maintain status?" but that's a pipe dream

my colleagues and I are going through the same issue with AOBFP
to maintain family practice board certification u pay them at least $4000 every 7 year cycle to them to keep your board status it's a rip off and they give you some online modules and charge you $2k for them and tell you that it's a processing fee "
I wrote them a letter and they responded back without making any explanation as to why the excessive and abusive chArges
I am planning on writing letters to every single DO med school and residency program and congress people because this is abusive
Not to even talk about the fact that they FORCE you to maintain AOA MEMBERSHIP which is $731 year

A moment ago
+ QuoteReply

to maintain family practice board certification u pay them at least $4000 every 7 year cycle to them to keep your board status it's a rip off and they give you some online modules and charge you $2k for them and tell you that it's a processing fee "
I wrote them a letter and they responded back without making any explanation as to why the excessive and abusive chArges
I am planning on writing letters to every single DO med school and residency program and congress people because this is abusive
Not to even talk about the fact that they FORCE you to maintain AOA MEMBERSHIP which is $731 year

A moment ago
+ QuoteReply
Either dump them and go aafp or run for office and change it (not being sarcastic)

Reactions: 1 users

A moment ago
+ QuoteReply

I'm equally as passionate about the fraud of this system.

The forced AOA membership to remain board certified is going away.

This same argument could be extended to the NBOME and NBME