Externship - vacation month

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AdrenalineJockie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm a 3rd year and as we're filling out clerkship app right now, I have a question. Did you take a vacation month as a real vacation? Or did clerkship that month too? Or prepared for boards?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well, it really depends on what month are you assigning your vacation month.

If you're planning to put your vacation month near Part 2 (December, November), then I advise you to take some time to study. However, if you were planning to take a vacation month anytime after January, then do whatever you want with your free month.

After interviews and part 2 (if you passed), there are not that many things to do, in terms of getting a residency. Again, every podiatry school works differently when scheduling their fourth year but ultimately, you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
What pod ranger said.

If in December- clerkship or boards study if you know you are a weak standardized test taker.
If before December- clerkship at a place you are interested in
If after January- take an actual vacation.

If its after interviews- go travel or just spend that month doing video games + Netflix + boxing class or something aggressive to get your body in shape.

It only gets harder after you graduate.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I had a February externship month and took a vacation month. It was really nice to have this break and do some traveling heading into match and residency.

Reactions: 2 users
Should shadow a podiatrist during your vacation month even if it's after match, it'll help with networking, shows your work ethic, and you'll never get another opportunity to just shadow an attending of your choice to pick their brain for a month.

What pod ranger said.

If in December- clerkship or boards study if you know you are a weak standardized test taker.
If before December- clerkship at a place you are interested in
If after January- take an actual vacation.

If its after interviews- go travel or just spend that month doing video games + Netflix + boxing class or something aggressive to get your body in shape.

It only gets harder after you graduate.
What about in the month of January? Any value at all (in terms of residency match)?

No.

Some have matched with programs they clerked at after interviews. Small sample size.

Spend January doing whatever the hell you want.

FWIW - I had my #1 choice program extern in January - went every single day, even after part 2 boards, and after interviews. Got the spot come match day.

Reactions: 1 users