extensive vs. intensive properties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superduper12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a intensive property is independent of size of system. if property doubles when the systems are combined, the property is extensive.

why is pressure an intensive property...we can add pressure and get greater pressure?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I've been wanting to say this for a while, but could you at least think about your questions for a little bit more before you post them? MCAT material has hundreds of problems that are actually tricky and some of us are actually combing through and looking for things that people have real difficulty with. With few exceptions, all of your questions have been about very basic intro paragraph-type concepts that you could surely get by just reading the next page, stopping to think, or googling. The only way to get good at something is to struggle by yourself at least a little before asking for help. I apologize in advance if you are actually spending time trying to solve them before asking.

ok, i will try to post less questions. I am actually going through three books on each topic before I ask a question though....I guess I am still learning how think about this stuff.

interms of the extensive property of pressure

if you take one mole of gas at pressure A and take another mole of gas at pressure B.

then Pressure total = pressure A + Pressure B...seems like it's intensive (dependent on the size/quantity in system)

Members don't see this ad :)
interms of the extensive property of pressure

if you take one mole of gas at pressure A and take another mole of gas at pressure B.

then Pressure total = pressure A + Pressure B...seems like it's intensive (dependent on the size/quantity in system)

Total pressure doesn't double if the partial pressure B doubles. Increase partial pressure B will decrease partial pressure A.

Saying that pressure is intensive refers to total pressure of a system.

It seems to be intensive because you are working under the assumption of a fixed volume.

Suppose you have two balloons with identical pressure. If you managed to connect the two (i.e. combine them) would the pressure double?

so i guess the assumption in this case is that volume is held constant. I tend to think of increased pressure as decreased volume...my bad.

edit: hah, gleek, you beat me to it.

Sorry, I've been wanting to say this for a while, but could you at least think about your questions for a little bit more before you post them? MCAT material has hundreds of problems that are actually tricky and some of us are actually combing through and looking for things that people have real difficulty with. With few exceptions, all of your questions have been about very basic intro paragraph-type concepts that you could surely get by just reading the next page, stopping to think, or googling. The only way to get good at something is to struggle by yourself at least a little before asking for help. I apologize in advance if you are actually spending time trying to solve them before asking.

I would have to agree. It's great if you have some questions and want some help, but a lot of the questions you are asking have either:

1) Already been answered on the forum (Use the search function!)
2) Answered thoroughly in many MCAT review books.

Please make an effort to find the answers to your questions first before posting so many different threads. We would like everyone to have a chance to have their question on the front page for at least a few days. By posting so many different threads, you are taking that change away from some other people.

Thanks.

Ya man, a good set of books or 2 is the best resource you could have for this test. I suggest TPR/TBR for the physical sciences if you are having trouble! Wikipedia is a great resource as well.