extending eligbility period?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bulldog

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My eligibility period was Jan to May. However, I won't be able to get ready for it until June. How do I extend the eligiblity period? I didn't see anything. Do I schedule any date w/ prometric, then cancel, then request extended eligbility? or do I lose the full amount if I'm unable to take? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can extend it. When I took mine there was a computer foul-up at the test center and they had to reschedule me, and there were only 2 weeks left in my "window." But they had no openings in the next week on days I could get free (getting time off during residency can be tough). The woman on the phone acted like she was doing me a gigantic favor and told me they would extend my window by another 6 weeks but this was going to be the absolute limit. And I said, "Well, it was the testing center's fault," and she said I should have scheduled it earlier in my window. I said, "Well, am I supposed to foresee that a computer problem would result in cancellation of my test date without warning?" She said, "These things happen." Then I said when I got my permit half of my window had already passed by (My window was march - July or something, and I got the permit at the end of may). She basically ignored that point.

So they don't really have a lot of customer service. I would call them, but prepare to have to pay $$.

U can get an addl 3 month period of extension by paying a 55$ fee.Go to FSMB site under Freq asked questions for step 3.Hope this helps.

U can get an addl 3 month period of extension by paying a 55$ fee.Go to FSMB site under Freq asked questions for step 3.Hope this helps.
oops, i made my thread before checking this one,
i know the fsmb fee is $55, but what about the prometrics fee, my time frame ends in may, and i would like to take in june

You can get a three month extension in addition to the original 3 month testing period[total 6 month].As long as you reschedule your test five business days in advance of your original testing date,prometric does not charge anything.Otherwise it is a 190$ rescheduling fee if you rechedule less than 5 days in advance.Hope this helps.